Should marjiuna be legalized and taxed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Apr 8, 2010.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

A disclaimer before I go on: I do not now nor have I ever smoked pot.

I know a lot of my friends did in high school and college. I keep hearing opposing sides as to why or why it shouldn't be legalized. I'm curious as to what you think. Of course there are probably meaningful arguments on both sides. I am not going to give my pov at this time, but I'm very interested in what other teachers have to say on this topic.
    If it were legal, would you use it? I'm just being curious and bored on my Spring Break. I would add a poll but I don't know how. You would think after being on this forum for five years I'd have that figured out by now.:lol:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

I have never considered smoking anything, and even if it were legal, I would not. That said, I would far rather people smoke weed than drink alcohol. But does that mean I wish it were legalized? I don't know. Some things to consider:

1. What about minors? It would be acceptable to smoke weed in your living room with your children present?

Okay, so only one thing to consider. :)
    I'll post more later after others have shared their opinions.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 8, 2010

Interesting 3663rd post. :p

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2010

That's what being on Spring Break with yucky weather does to a person!!! :p

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

...and the taxes could go towards the new health care plan instead of soaking the rest of us...oh no, that's too good an idea...

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

If it were legal I would not use it because I'm too chicken to be high! LOL I was surprised to discover that it is legal for medical use in 14 states and 14 others have it pending right now. My state is one that has it pending. They say it's safer than some legal prescription drugs in some cases because there's less chance of addiction or dying from marijuana over-use compared to prescription drug over-use. hmm.....

8. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

Well, as someone who lives in a place where marijuana is de facto legal anyway, I say yes! Our state needs all the revenue it can get!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

I also have never smoked anything nor have I wanted to. In fact, the smell of pot triggers migraines for me (found that out from my neighbor in college) so if it was legal, I wouldn't want it in my house.

I think it should be legalized and I absolutely think it should be legalized for medicinal use. It doesn't make sense not to be. Most of the drugs we prescribe today are far worse than marijuana. And I know a LOT of kids who are addicted to them.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 9, 2010

OY... I hope it never is legalized. I don't like to be ANYWHERE near cigarette smoke. Cigars? Oh my GOSH, I choke.

Can you imagine stepping out of a building and instead of having to walk through that cloud of cigarette smoke you have to pass through mj haze? YUCK!!!!

11. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

Yes, I do think it should be legal, taxed, and regulated.

JustMe, the answer to your question is simple: if it's not expressly illegal to smoke it with your children present, then the "acceptability" of it depends on the person. Which means you'd definitely have parents doing it, but possibly being ostracized for it.

I agree with you that I think alcohol is more destructive overall than mj.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 9, 2010

I think it should be legal.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Very interesting viewpoints. TY to those who answered. I am really interested on what people have to say about this.
    Many times people refer to pot as the the 'gateway' drug to more illicit and addicting illegal substances.
    One of the things that concern me are the long term effects of regular marijuana use. I am not sure if there are any studies that show what they are. Of course one could argue the point of the long term adverse effects of alcohol, which is legal.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

I find it interesting how all the people posting on this thread have really colorful artwork as their profile pic.

15. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

I think weed is disgusting. It stinks and makes people act stupid (or at least my old friends from high school, who are now going NO where fast due to alcohol and weed.) Beyond people who need it for medical reasons, it should not be legalized.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Sarge, you're so funny! There are live-action butterflies fluttering in the sky in mine, right? :)

Kinder, I understand your concerns regarding longterm use. Afterall, think for a moment of the "potheads" you knew in school or know of today. They are...out of it. But are they out of if it because of their use of pot, because of other substances they use regularly, because they are "naturally" that way, because they strive to be that way...I'm not sure it's necessarily clear-cut. NIDA cites respiratory, lung, and brain function problems when someone smokes weed long-term, and The Straight Dope, which claims to have been fighting ignorance about the stuff since 1973, offers this.

If it were legalized, there would have to be strict regulations and none of this public smoking garbage. Absolultely no way. I would campaign like never before if that were a possibility. In private homes, I'll live. In the presence of children, not okay.

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 9, 2010

You gave me a laugh...thank you!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2010

This thread is interesting to see--the topic came up at our dinner table this past weekend. (I was so glad that my mother-in-law wasn't there; she would never have known what to do with that!).

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

Alittle off the topic, but my Mom, while in the nursing home, was given an oral form of marijuana to help stimulate her appetite. Patients that took these pills had a picture of a marijuana leaf on their door. It was funny to picture my 88 year old Mom as a pothead. Medicinally--OK-although I have seen some 20 years old guys , who say they smoke it medicinally because they have a 'bad knee'. Huh?? Otherwise, I just don't know.

20. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

Of course along with all other forms of mind altering substances.
    Then with all that jail space we could put away the really dangerous people to society. Educate, regulate and tax.

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 9, 2010

Jail space is wasted on MJ offenders like, Stephen said...make room for the real perps.

22. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

I strongly suspect there are long-term effects for anyone who would be described as a "pothead". However, there are also quite a few occasional users who you wouldn't normally think of as users, and who do not suffer apparent long-term effects. In this respect, it's fairly similar to alcohol.

futureteach, I understand your revulsion, but is personal revulsion really a basis to criminalize something? After all, I could be revolted and think it is incredibly stupid for men to wear women's clothing, but I'm not going to suggest men in drag should be arrested.

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Just, I would imagine laws that pertain to smoking cigarettes in public places would be the same for smoking pot. Perhaps that would even be more regulated. Many states are completely smoke free in any public venue.

Sarge, your post made me laugh! This entire thread is making me think of Cheech annd Chong movies.:lol:

24. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

Threads like this make me rethink the way I think/feel about certain posters...

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 9, 2010

I say no.

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 9, 2010

I'm surprised... I didn't think I was in the minority on this one.

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

I do not think it should be legalized but honestly is marijuana any more harmful than the Loratab that my dentist prescribed for me today for pain relief.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Please explain...

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

Don't you think it's far safer than the prescription pills that millions of people are popping everyday?

30. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

I agree, too. Although, MJ can be just as destructive if a person becomes addicted.

Of all my experiences with the two, I was far more level-headed when it came to MJ.

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

I don't know that you are in the minority. It is just one of those issues that gets you thinking about pros and cons. I think everyone who has given a reason for or against have given us all something to think about and analyze. That is something teachers are very good at!!:thumb:

32. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 11, 2010

I agree. There are many prescriptions drugs that many people overuse. Besides, if marijuana gets legalized it should be for medical purposes only.

33. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2010

Two wrongs make a right, don't they?

I don't want to be on the road with someone who has been smoking pot, not do I want to be on the road with someone who has been drinking.

They'd have to regulate the he!! out of it, which means a lot of people would ignore the regulations, which would annoy the cr@p out of me but would keep the police very busy. (Think instead of cruising down the highway swerving all over with blinkers on and headlights off (alcholic), you have a person sitting at a green light staring off into outerspace with very red eyes (stoner).

Don't laugh. I was once in a car with a pot head during college driving to Washington D.C. in the Shenandoah mountains and he got to thinking and before you know it, the car had slowed down to a crawl. Deer could have come out of the woods and stared at us.

Forget it. The only ones who should smoke pot are politicians who think they know the best way to teach.

34. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2010

Nope to dope!

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

Bringing this old thread back as now Colorado and Washington have made pot legal.
    I didn't think I'd see the day this soon...but here we are. My feelings: I don't like it. Not that anyone cares. We have such a war on cigarettes and have banned smoking in public places statewide in many cases...yet this. I have heard that smoking 3 joints is equal to smoking an entire pack of cigarettes as far as carcinogens, etc. I just can't figure people out. :dizzy:

I'm curious how some of you who posted on this thread feel today.

36. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 20, 2012

I live in CO...I voted for it and was thrilled to see it pass. It was already "decriminalized" in Denver and medical mj was already being sold anyway which I think was a step in the right direction too. Police can focus on real criminals rather than go after recreational smokers. I've never smoked and don't plan on it. I had a "brownie" once in college. I enjoyed the experience but it's not something I feel compelled to do on a regular basis (obviously, since that was years ago). Pot being legal wouldn't change that for me either.

To me it seems that legalization is the obvious choice. Prohibition didn't work, so why would this- and pretty much everything out there says that pot is a lot safer than alcohol. It's not like people who don't currently smoke are only avoiding it because it's illegal. Obviously it's a big topic of discussion around here since we were a state that passed it, and I haven't heard of anyone that's just waiting for it to be legal to start using it. Either they already do or they don't plan on it. Legalizing it allows police resources to be used for actual crimes. The amount of money they were spending on "going after" recreational users was absurd. Not to mention taxing it creates even more revenue! Also there are the benefits for many different kinds of health problems...it's really hard for me personally to even see the other side of this argument. As far as people using in front of kids or smoking and driving...I don't think that the type of people who would do those things are the same type who would be anxiously waiting for it to become legal and only start smoking then. Those people are already using it anyway.

The news around here is that it would be another year at least before we'd actually start seeing it being sold in stores, and it's kind of expected that the federal gov. will fight us on it. I know a lot of people (myself included) just saw amendment 64 has a "step in the right direction" with getting people talking about it and making the federal government see it as a real issue. Most don't expect that we will actually see it come into full effect for years to come.

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

One of my college professor's was high up in the Sheriff's department. He said he'd rather pot be legal than alcohol.

I have never smoked pot in my life, and I have no desire to. I am VERY against it. I grew up with an uncle who's life is centered around pot. He has never moved out of my grandparents' house (he is in his 50s). His only job was given to him by my aunt. He is a loser. It made me realize at a young age that I would never smoke weed. Seeing it first had and being around it all my life makes me dislike it more than most people.

However, the practical side of me says that so many people smoke it anyway, we might as well legalize it and rake in the tax dollars.

38. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

Hahhaa, just noticed the way I titled this thread makes me look like I'm smoking a joint. Marjiuna???? What the heck?

39. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Dec 20, 2012

I have never done any illegal drug of any kind including marijuana. I can count the number of times I've been drunk on one hand. I voted for Amendment 64 and I was thrilled to see it pass. I can honestly say I probably won't smoke, eat or otherwise use marijuana even though it's legal. I really don't like mind altering anything, even legal pain killers.

I think it's a great idea to take the drugs out of the hands of the drug lords and gangs and earn tax revenue off of it. People are using it already and in my experience alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana. Only time will tell if this was the right call, but I really think it's a step in the right direction.

40. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 20, 2012

I'm not trying to insult you, but you are ignorant if you think marijuana should be illegal--You're ignorant. You're ignorant to the effects/uses of marijuana (hemp), you're ignorant to the impetus that worked to criminalize marijuana, and you're ignorant to the very concept of freedom & liberty.

I would daresay that the cannabis plant that marijuana is derived from, could easily be considered the most useful plant known to mankind.

41. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2012

I agree. I know of too many people who have done time for growing a few plants in their home. Ridiculous.

Does anyone know how this will be handled? We are a dry county and I want it to stay that way, so the idea of pot being sold in stores weirds me out. Heck, when I go to neighboring counties that are moist or wet, it just seems so strange to see alcohol. So is pot sold in specialty smoke shops...or everywhere?

I've said this since I was high school. Absolutely.

I never noticed it. :)