Should I....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kalli007, Mar 9, 2009.

1. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Need your opinion here - as you know I am going through the Alt Cert and will be trying to get a teaching job for 09/10. I am in Real Estate right now but due to the slow market I need to get a job now in order to make it to Fall!

I have 2 options to pursue and do not know which one is best

1 - Start subbing (New Sub orientation tomorrow) in order to make some $$$ and maybe get familiar with some of the Schools/Principals

2 - Take a Pre-K teaching job at a daycare, will give me some much needed teaching experience on my resume as I will be competing with experienced teachers for a teaching job.

Pay is basically the same. Also, if I take the Fulltime job i will be giving up my RE office.

3. dacky

dacky Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

I recommend subbing. It gives you experience in a school district. But I'm assuming the daycare is not part of any district.

I taught kindergarten enrichment (aka daycare) for 2 years before subbing. At an interview they told me to concentrate on my student teaching experiences (4 years ago) or subbing- they wanted to know how I handled things in districts. So, if your ultimate goal is a classroom in a district, def go for subbing. It will help you get to know the processes and the people.

4. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks for your input!

There is only about 2 months left in the school year, so I would have maybe 2 months of Sub expr vs 4 mos Pre-K..... also the Pre-K job would go through the summer and I need $$$....BUT I can certainly see the advantage in actually being at the schools and gaining experience.

5. dacky

dacky Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

I started subbing in April of last year (when I relocated). I did that until June and then got a summer job to get me through until September.

March/April is a good time to start subbing because that's when ALOT of teachers take their personal days.

But, I'll be honest with you in saying that I am not able to get a position every day. (We are very lucky in that my husband pays the bills and my pay goes to savings right now) So if you need the 5 days of pay to make your bills then def go for the pre-k.

But even while subbing you can look for a summer job of a daycare, summer camp, or summer school program- which are all great for the resume. I find it easier to look for a district job because I don't have lesson plans to write or centers to create or anything like that. My day ends at 4 which is pretty awesome.

I'd say make a list of pros and cons for yourself. Whichever has the most pros - go for.

Good luck!

6. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks dacky - it's great to hear from someone who's BTDT.
    Like you stated, my fear is that I would not get enough days - our largest employer has laid off 1500 in the last 3 months and I would assume that the Sub pool will be quite large! The orientation is tomorrow so it cant hurt to go and sign up and see if I can feel out how often you will get a position.

Thanks !

7. palla

palla Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I agree subbing is going to provide better experience and better networking opportunities. It would depend on how many days you have to work to make ends meet. The subbing jobs here have been cut back since teachers aren't attending as many seminars and such. Budget cuts have affected all areas.

8. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

Is the Pre-K position with the school district or at a private childcare? If is part of the school district and on a school campus I would do that. Since the Texas teaching certificate is Pre-K-4th grade.

9. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Private daycare - so the pay would be equal or little higher than subbing, although it would be Full time and through the summer. But, no exposure/experience in the school district.

10. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

Then it all depends on you. You would get more experience in district and make more connections with the subbing. But, you would have a steady pay check with the day care. Think about pay, out come, and happiness.

Personally, I hate to sub, so I work at a preschool, but the preschool is a district preschool. It's going to be a personal choice of what works best for you.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2009

I vote for subbing as well for the reasons that others have given you, and also it provides you an outlet for networking with teachers and administrators so that you can let them know that you are looking for a teaching job for next school year. It also gives you experience in a variety of grade levels so you can see which ones you are more comfortable in.
    And on days that you don't sub you can always go into the RE office.

Good luck!

12. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks guys! I think that is what I will do - try to sub sub sub and then in the Summer if RE hasnt picked up I will look for a daycare job.

NOW..I gotta stay off CNN so I can quit stressing about jobs and $$$