should I write a thank you just for giving me the interview-as adam waxler says?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, May 21, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 21, 2008

Now that I have the interview, do I write a thank you just for them giving me the opportunity to interview. I believe Adam Waxler suggested this. Have you ever done this? What do I say if I do? thanks

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2008

I always wait until after the interview before sending the thank yous.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 21, 2008

I would wait--- though if they email or call you about anything BEFORE the interview, I would thank them then. Then right after the interview, I'd email them a thank you ASAP. And also send out a thank you card to who ever did the interviewing (if its a group of three people, send a thank you card to each of them--- its a nice gesture to send a personal card to each), any of the teachers you spoke to during the day, and even the students in the class you did a demo lesson in (if that's something you have to do).

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 21, 2008

I agree with stg and bioangel.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 21, 2008

Yes, Adam Waxler does recommend a thank you note pre-interview, but doesn't he refer to it as a second cover letter? If I remember correctly, he recommends that you send a quick note outlining your qualifications/experience/strengths/etc. and let them know you're looking forward to the interview. I think the idea is okay, but I've ever bothered with this step.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 21, 2008

when I was doing job fairs, I would always make sure to collect the cards of anybody I talked to or gave my resume to and then at the end of the day I would send each one a thank you e-mail saying how wonderful it was to interact with them and that I could already tell that they had a wonderful faculty that really cared about their students and to thank them for the opportunity. That actually led to a lot of people calling me back. First I would get an e-mail response from the principal and then a call back from the department head. I even had one e-mail from a principal in which she was like "What's your subject area again? I have a ton of resumes but I want to find yours"

I don't know if I would specifically thank them for the interview, but say how much you enjoyed the interaction, how wonderful the people seemed, how you look forward to hopefully joining the school family and how you look forward to the interview.

Good Luck!