Should I wait for 1st choice district?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennyjenjen, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. jennyjenjen

    jennyjenjen Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 7, 2008

    Hi everyone, last Friday I had an interview with my 1st choice district for a secondary RSP teacher. I think the interview went well. The interviewers seemed excited that I already had my credential and that I had subbed for their district for the past few years. They said they would call me this week. I haven't heard from them yet but my part time employer mentioned that they called to check my references.

    Here is the problem, I got called in for an interview tomorrow for 3rd choice district. My friend got hired by them last year and she said that they hire on the spot for Sp. Ed. teachers.

    I don't want to miss out on my 1st choice district by accepting a job from the 3rd choice district. Nor do I want to decline a job from the 3rd choice if there isn't a job waiting for me with the 1st choice. Should I call 1st choice district and ask what my status is?
     
  2.  
  3. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,534
    Likes Received:
    2,588

    Aug 7, 2008

    Until you get an offer, keep interviewing.

    In the lucky event that you are offered a position on the spot with your 3rd choice, simply ask for a few days or a week to discuss it with your family.

    Good luck to you!
     
  4. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Aug 7, 2008

    Call 1st choice district to see if a position has been made. If offered a job at 3rd choice district, say that you need you a few days to talk it over with family and you will get back to them Monday/Tuesday.
     
  5. kstar03

    kstar03 Companion

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Messages:
    237
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2008

    I agree with Cassie...don't stop interviewing until you've been offered a job. If they were to offer you a position on the spot, tell them you need to sleep on it and if you have a significant other or family members, you need to run it by them. It will buy you a little more time.
     
  6. SciTeacherNY

    SciTeacherNY Companion

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2008

    :agreed: Couldn't have said it better.
     
  7. 4myclass

    4myclass Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2005
    Messages:
    511
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 11, 2008

    Don't pass up any opportunity. Your 3rd choice may just be God's 1st choice.

    Good luck.
     
  8. FarFromHome

    FarFromHome Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1,857
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 11, 2008

    I would maybe ask for a day or two and see if the 1st choice offers anything. Otherwise, I would take it. Teaching jobs can be hard to come by in some places, and you would be kicking yourself if you turned it down and then ended up without a job. Think about it-would you rather have a job that maybe isn't your first choice, or not have a job at all?

    I just know that here, everyone told me to take the first job I was offered (all in the same district) because those offers can go away. This year I signed for a kindergarten job just to make sure I had a job, and then I moved back up to third grade once another teacher moved to a different school. So everything usually seems to work out the way it should.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

Total: 138 (members: 0, guests: 114, robots: 24)
test