Should I use my personal connection?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by K-5_teacherguy, Feb 17, 2015.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Feb 17, 2015

This may be a dumb question, but when it comes to my job search I seem to be over thinking everything so here it goes. I am about to start a long term assignment, and a principal from a different school in the same district called me today to set up an interview for an open position she has for next year.

It turns out this principal that called me is friends with the principal at the school where my mom teaches in a different district. This principal (from the different district) said she would be happy to call the principal I am interviewing with to put in a good word for me. My only concern is that I don’t want it to appear I am trying to use a personal connection to get the job (especially since I got the interview on my own, the principal I will interview with doesn’t even know about the connection at this point). Is it ridiculous for me to even question this?

This principal who will be interviewing me already seems to be very interested and I just don’t want to do anything to mess it up. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2015

Tell the offering P you would be thankful for the recommendation once you've interviewed.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

Just me but I would use it because someone else might use their connections. It doesn't mean your are getting the job but it can be an ice breaker in the conversation.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

I would use any connection I could, but like czacza suggested I might wait until after I've interviewed.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 18, 2015

Why not leave that principals number as a reference?
    Have you worked/subbed in her school before?

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Feb 18, 2015

Wait until after the interview, but definitely use this connection. In this job market, you can't afford not to.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

:thumb: great idea!

9. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Feb 18, 2015

Update: The P I know from the other district emailed me about an hour ago telling me that she has already texted the P I will interview with to tell her that I am a great person and teacher and that she would hire me in a heartbeat if she had the chance. I did not ask her to do this yet, she took it upon herself.

Is this bad? Everyone here seemed to think it would be better for her to contact this P after the interview so I'm mildly concerned, even though her text was obviously positive.

10. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 18, 2015

If she took it upon herself... I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say just act as if you don't know she did it -- you still got the interview on your own without the recommendation, and if the P asks about it in your interview you can say it was an unsolicited recommendation. But really I don't think positive input could hurt your chances.
    Good luck with your interview!

11. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Feb 19, 2015

Thanks! Interviewed today, thought it went fairly well. Then the P who gave the recommendation called the P I interviewed with and basically asked her how it went, and she said I had a great interview, was a very nice guy, but wouldn't elaborate beyond that. So at least I know I didn't bomb it I guess?

Anyway, she said she would let me know within the next week if I made it to the final round so the waiting game begins :unsure:

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2015

Here's hoping!

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Feb 24, 2015

An interviewing principal knowing a principal you know/are on good terms with is always a good thing. It helped me get my job! Well, plus other reasons, but it did help. Always include any reference that will benefit you.