Should I tell them in the interview that I have triplets?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, May 22, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 22, 2008

I am having a hard time with deciding whether I should tell the interview panel the reason I have not had a job for the last 8 years. This is my situation, and I feel the need to explain it to the interview panel.
    Student taught August to December 99
    Full time subbed the same class student taught from December to May
    Went on 4 interviews after that and was offered a job in July at another school of that year but had to turn it down due to being pregnant with the triplets
    I have been home ever since until the triplets started first grade this year. I have only subbed at their school due to the late starting time compared with all the other districts around here.
    Question 2: When they ask me to tell about myself, where do I start? Do I start at high school and move forward?
    Thanks!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 22, 2008

I usually start with high school only because I worked in a kindergarten program my senior year. When they ask you about yourself that is when you say you have triplets.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 22, 2008

Yes! You are excited that you are in a place now where you can return to your calling. While you would not change the fact that you have triplets or the time you have been able to spend with them you are ready. You are also very thankful that you have family and good friends close by that are able to help you balance your family life with your career. You are thankful that if one of the triplets comes down with something that you won't need to constantly miss work. (don't use these words but just the concept)

Oh and you pretty much had your own first grade class of three!

5. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 22, 2008

Nope, when you get to the point where you explain your absence from the work force tell them you stayed home with your children. The reason for removing yourself from the work force is important, the age of your family members isn't.

In short, don't tell what they shouldn't ask.

6. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 22, 2008

Having been on the interviewer side before- I do know they are not allowed to ask you about your family. IF you volunteer info, then they can run with it. I would say go by your instincts. IF the interview is going well then volunteer more info. If they seem very professional, business first types, you may want to hold back on too much personal info. If you have a gap in employment they will probably ask. So offer a simple answer, like someone else said, "I chose to stay home for my family" or something like that. I would think the fact that you have triplets and know how to handle them all the time would be a good reflection on how you would handle a classroom full. Like someone said, you have a class of 3 all the time already! You could make a comment like that if they ask..help lighten the interview a bit.

Good luck!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2008

I would not mention it because I don't see how it would be helpful or beneficial to you to do so.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 22, 2008

Interviews are about "selling yourself." I would avoid any personal talk that can be avoided. If it came down to two totally equal candidates, and one had told me she had triplets in 1st grade, and the other said nothing, I'd probably go with the one who said nothing. I'd be worried about absences every time one of your 3 precious darlings got sick. The less said the better.

9. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

May 22, 2008

I have to agree. I've always been taught that you don't tell them what they can't ask. The fact that you have young triplets is something that can (and likely would) be used to weed you out of the desirable candidates pile. It's the same reason (well not the exact reason, but same line of thought) as to why you wouldn't answer that question with "well, I took off that time because I was an alcoholic or some other extreme health issue." Not saying that being an alcoholic and being a mother of triplets is the same thing. lol. But in an interview you would leave out religious preference, sexual orientation, political preference or anything else that can be used to discriminate against an otherwise perfectly acceptable candidate.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 22, 2008

Oh my very good points people. Okay- I think I may have changed my opinion on this.

I think to explain your absence you could say you were home raising your children but maybe not mention the fact you have triplets. If for some reason it comes up, I think my original advice on how to talk about it still applies.

I just worry that if you tell them you didn't take the job because you were pregnant that it would be bad, unless you said you were pregnant with triplets. Maybe you stay clear of the job offer and decline all together.

Lemon

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 22, 2008

I have to disagree with those of y'all that are saying to not mention the triplets. ;)

I think that you can casually mention that you have triplets and that it won't be viewed as a negative...and if it is, then do you really want to work for that school?! Having triplets is a unique characteristic of who you are and don't you want the school to know who you are as a person? I think when they ask for you to tell them about yourself that you could mention something along the lines of, "I graduated from ABC University in 1999, student taught at ABC School and long-term subbed at ABC School. You may be wondering why I have not been in the teaching field since then - I had triplets shortly after this time!" If they are at all the type of people you would like to work with, they will smile, laugh, and say "Wow!" It is endearing that you have had this experience and it is unique. Let them know who you are as a person and they will be able to tell what type of teacher you will be as well.