Should I tell faculty about my tattoos?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms.Blank, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 15, 2014

Hi, all, me again! :)

So as you may know, I am a new sub in a K-8 district. I have a full sleeve tattoo on one arm. I always keep it covered because I feel it is the professional thing to do (I haven't even asked anyone about a "tattoo policy", but I'm honestly not even interested in it...I know if I were to show my tattoos around the kiddos, it would create MUCH distraction and chaos).

It has been VERY hot this week in So Cal. I have a two day sub assignment. I just finished day one today, and I go back to work in the same classrooms tomorrow. Now, the kids haven't said ANYTHING about me wearing long sleeves...and it's over 100 degrees out, easily! :dizzy: However, nearly every teacher, administrator, and faculty member has mentioned how "hot I must be in those clothes" and how "tomorrow you need to remember to dress in cooler clothing!" I feel like it will be fishy tomorrow when I walk in with long sleeves and pants again (I am female, BTW), so I am wondering...should I tell the adults about my tattoos if the heat thing comes up? Or should I just kind of laugh it off again, saying I'm not hot, I'm more comfortable in long sleeves, etc.? I'm nervous to mention anything, as it may tarnish the administration's view of me (as much as it shouldn't...but I knew the stigma when I got tattoos).

I appreciate holding back on lectures about how "I should have known before I got them...", "Tattoos are inappropriate", etc. I know; I am an adult. Thank you for your responses in advance, I really appreciate it!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2014

I wouldn't say anything. If anyone asked, I'd just say that I prefer long sleeves.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 15, 2014

Tattoos are becoming much more accepted than before. I would just say that I have tattoos, and want to keep them covered up so the kids don't get distracted, etc, and that's why I'm wearing a long sleeve. I'm sure they'd be satisfied with that. You don't have to tell them what kind of tattoos, etc, just that you're trying to be considerate.
    If you keep not giving a straight answer, that doesn't make sense, they'd be more likely to talk and ask, and eventually you will probably tell them the truth, so might as well be it now.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 15, 2014

See Giraffe's response.

It's not really any of their business.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2014

Giraffe's response works for me, as well. Don't care that you have them, but I think you should just go with "not hot" and leave the subject alone. If they don't know, they don't need to. If they already know, and they are dancing around the issue, why put anyone on the spot. The heat will pass, and then it won't be a problem.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2014

There are parts of the world in which the standard way to deal with heat is to cover up: the idea is that one has one's own shade with one. That's the idea behind the dhob, a men's garment of the Middle East that resembles an Oxford cloth shirt extending to the ankles. You're welcome to quote me without attribution.

Of course, covering up works better where it's less humid than SoCal is this week... and if you're going to cover up, make sure that what you're covering up in is loose, not tight (so sleeves gathered at wrist and possibly shoulder but full in between), and I'd recommend light weaves over knits.

This being SoCal, though, it's entirely possible that your full sleeve won't gain you nearly the animus you fear.

In short, and as a denizen, I'm with Linguist on this one.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 15, 2014

Just to confuse the issue :p I personally would just say, "I'm covering my tattoos" just to get all the questions over with. It's not really anyone else's business, and most people are probably just making small talk, but I don't think most people would be judge-y about tattoos.

9. imissjerryg

imissjerryg Rookie

Sep 16, 2014

I have a half sleeve and wear short sleeves often. However, I teach in an urban area and the rules are rather lax. One of our deans has a labret piercing! Good luck enduring the heat!

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 16, 2014

I would tell them. Otherwise they may think of something worse than what it really is. No one here would blink an eye that it's a tattoo but one that big my P probably would ask you to cover up.

11. teach1

teach1 Companion

Sep 16, 2014

Personally, my response would be "I have tattoos and I want to keep them covered." I honestly can't think of a single person that would bat an eyelid over that response... regardless of their opinion on tattoos.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 16, 2014

I don't understand what you're saying about the tattoo policy and not being interested in it. Is it just that you plan on hiding them forever so you don't care if there's a policy? I think you should find out about the policy anyway. You might be making a big deal over nothing and if someone asks just tell them.

13. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 16, 2014

Yes, exactly...even if tattoos were allowed to be shown in my district, I would still opt to cover up.

14. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Sep 16, 2014

Thank you for all the replies, everyone!