Should I take the risk?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by witeacher, Jul 31, 2007.

1. witeacher

witeacher New Member

Jul 31, 2007

I was offered a 1/5th music position at a Catholic school today, and don't know if I should accept it. I would work two days a week, four hours a day. I have a music minor, but I am not certified to teach music education in public schools. I have substituted for two years and had a few interviews, but I have not held a steady teaching job. The pay is not much and a friend of mine said that there is a lot of prep work and no pay for it. Should I accept the job or keep substituting for more money and hope to get my break into public schools?

3. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Can you take the job and still substitue on the other 3 days of the week? Seems to me that anyone working part-time gets first dibs on new job openings the following year.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Can you do both? Sub on the three days you do not work? Or is that a conflict of interest. There is nothing like being in one school on a constant basis. That is the best exposure, plus it is better on a resume. And, more references.
    I imagine that Wisconsin's job market can't be a whole lot better than Michigan, so I would take the job. Then, next year, your chances of receiving a full time position would greatly increase.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

Great minds think alike! :haha:

6. witeacher

witeacher New Member

Jul 31, 2007

I could do both. Do you think it may hurt my chances to receive a job in a public school?

7. witeacher

witeacher New Member

Jul 31, 2007

You are right, there are not many job openings in WI. I could do both jobs, but I am hoping for something better. MAybe this is my big break.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I say take the job, but keep your other job as well. Accept the fact, that unless you have experience teaching in a school, you may not get a job. So, if teaching is really what you want to do, then be willing to take that job, put in the extra prep time, grin and bear it. You will get noticed for doing a good job, and you never know what opportunities my arise!