Should I take the non-reelect or should I resign?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by palmtree, Mar 8, 2011.

1. palmtree

palmtree Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

I'm in complete shock with my non-reelect notice this past week. I have had all positive outstanding evaluations from my principle, and she even went as far to share my lessons with other teachers. She also invited the superintendent to observe my class because she liked what I was doing. Why the non-reelect?

My question is should I resign or take the non-reelect? I plan on teaching in the future, and I know applications have questions regarding forced to resign and non-reelect.

Other crazy detail: I told HR one month ago that I was pregnant and I wanted information on maternity leave for the following school year. Could that be the reason for a non-reelect? That's just wrong.

Please help......should I resign or take the non-reelect?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

If your maternity leave is the reason for your being let go that is just wrong!

Did the principal give you a reason for being let go? Does this have anything to do with a reduction in force?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

They legally can't let you go for being pregnant but as nontenured they don't have to give as reason for non renewal...:sorry:

5. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

Check with your district. In my district, everyone gets a "pink" slip until they are tenured. Then we officially find out in July if we will be hired back once the budget comes out for the next year.
    It's a waiting game.

Could this be the case for you?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

That was exactly what I was wondering.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2011

I agree with Princessbloom. You should check to find out what this really means.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

If it's the nontenured letter that everyone gets , you should check with other NT to see what theirs say...my district is sending out those letters next week, but they always prepare the NT ahead of time...

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 8, 2011

If you are under a one-year contract, then they are under no obligation to rehire you after your contract is over . . . no matter how excellent of a job you were doing.

Here is is pretty common for non-tenured teachers to get "pink slipped". It in not way reflects on their performance, and it's not something that we view negatively on a job application, although we will call and talk to the principal.

10. palmtree

palmtree Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

No, this is not a pink slip. I'm second year probationary in California, and my principle said she did not have to give me a reason. If I resign I won't get unemployment. But doesn't a non-reelect look bad on future job apps? I have until Friday to turn in a resignation letter otherwise it will process as non-reelect. Yikes!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

I think that it really depends on what the non-reelect means... So many teachers are being let go, that most often this is not a bad stain on a report. However, it depends what the principal will say when called for an application.

What would the principal do if you asked for a letter of recommendation?

12. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Mar 8, 2011

I am going to quote what KateL wrote in the similar thread I posted a few days ago:

In California, you can still collect unemployment if you resign as long as you otherwise would have been released through no fault of your own (non-renewed without cause, in my district). The unemployment office will investigate, but as long as the district says you were going to be non-renewed, you can still get unemployment. Here's the info from the EDD office's website:

An employee who leaves work when asked by the employer to either resign or be fired, or an employee who resigns rather than agree to a forced leave of absence, has not left work of his or her own free will. In these situations, since the employee did not choose to quit, the employer is the moving party in the separation and the employee becomes involuntarily unemployed.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntar...Q_135.htm#Quit in Lieu of Discharge

13. palmtree

palmtree Rookie

Mar 10, 2011

Taking the non-reelect

Hi all,

Thank you for all your posts. I've decided to take a non-reelect so I can collect unemployment. This is recommeded by my union.

Here's the weird thing. My principle is threating me with my letter of rec. She said "if you resign, I will write you a wonderful detailed letter of rec, but if you do not resign, I will not write a good letter of rec". Again, I'm an excellent teacher with great reviews. I should get a letter no mattter how I exit the district. I think HR is telling the priciples this so we will resign to save the district money toward paying unemployment.

Guess I'll just not get my letter. Actually my union wants me to fill out a grievance for what she is doing to me.

Hard times in teaching right now... Teachers are being picked on...

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 10, 2011

I would definitely talk to your union about that not-so-veiled threat. I'd also ask for copies of your reviews.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2011

palmtree, I'm sorry. I've been made to resign in 2006 before. Back then, there wasn't this talk of non-reelect, so I've never heard of the term until on this board lately. It was either resign or be let go/fired (in which no one wants the latter!)

It's frustrating not knowing the "real" reason why you're not being rehired. I was given the 'ole, "You're not a good fit for our school." It could have been because of your pregnancy. Are you obviously showing or could you have waited to tell HR about your pregnancy? In these unsure times when no one's safe w/ their jobs, I don't think I would have told ANYONE I was preganant, especially around Jan/Feb, which is that time of the year when teachers are told they aren't returning & throughout the end of the year...unless I was obviously showing because you never know how these principals are thinking. They don't want you to be on maternity leave while they have to pay long-term sub pay to some sub for all those months. Then, who who knows what else they're thinking in their minds.

And regarding her writing a letter of rec or not, well, if you're that good a teacher, so you don't get one letter. Get one from EVERYONE else & just say she never wrote one in case anyone asks. Can you get one from the VP, other teacher colleagues, the special ed teacher, psychologist, speech-language pathologist, etc.?

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2011

I don't understand. If you've had excellent reviews, why would your principal treat you this way?

Again, because you don't have tenure, they can dismiss you without giving you any reason whatsoever. She doesn't need to provide any sort of explanation.

Anyway, I'm so sorry you're going through this! :hugs:

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2011

:agreed:

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2011

Sorry about what you are going through. I know when I elected to resign, my P still refused to write me a letter, even though he always had nothing but good things to say about my performance. I was there for two years. He was a jerk. He was later fired.

I'm sorry...

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 10, 2011

Here a "pink slip" is the same as non-reelect.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2011

Can you request a meeting with your principal and bring a union rep with you? It would be beneficial if someone else heard the principal make this offer to you...if not, could you somehow put it on writing to the principal that upon consideration of her offer to write you a good letter of rec in exchange for your resignation, you have decided to not take her up on the offer? Has the principal made this same offer to other non tenured teachers? It is true that you do not have to be given a reason for non renewal, but the manner in which the principal is going about this is just a bit strange...

21. Boo

Boo Rookie

Mar 11, 2011

That is sad about the letter of rec.
    I doubt the principal would repeat the same "threat" in front of a union rep.
    In my district, there were 3 teachers non renewed (that's what we call it here), and they all took the non renewals. I was offered the day before the board meeting the chance to resign (the principal made it sound like the district was doing me a favor). I wasn't ready to make the decision so I just said "no." he stopped by my room 4 times that day to make sure that was my decision. I sort of felt like he wanted me to resign, otherwise why would he care to stop by my room so often to make sure?

22. palmtree

palmtree Rookie

Mar 11, 2011

Hey Boo

They do want you to resign so they don't have to pay the unemployment insurrance.

Question for Boo.

Did you find another teaching job with a non-renew on your record?

Will it be hard for me now?

23. Boo

Boo Rookie

Mar 11, 2011

Hi,
    This has just happened to me. I'm trying to be positive and hope that I can. I'm getting letters of references from colleagues and doing my best at work for the rest of the year so that my principal might say positive things about me if other principals call.
    If not, at least I can make a plan with with unemployment.