Should I take the job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flyingmickey, May 13, 2011.

1. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

May 13, 2011

I have been offered a job at a school in my district. It would be mine for good unlike the casual job that I have right now. Either way I would be able to work. I still will have job security.

I have a problem with the admin at the new school he dumps his work on those around him and has favourites. He will probably be at this school for up to four years. The teachers are divided and really seem to have a primary vs intermediate contest going on.

So...do I take the new job so I will always have a grade level I like or stay as I am and hope that something better comes along.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 13, 2011

Take the job. Administrators come and go.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 13, 2011

Take the job! There are going to be politics wherever you go. Around here, when people are offered permanent positions they take them - we can't afford to wait for dream jobs. We work towards those.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 13, 2011

I agree. Just take it.

6. ally06

ally06 Companion

May 13, 2011

Yep, take the job.

7. mkate

mkate Comrade

May 13, 2011

Definitely take it.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 14, 2011

Maybe my one mug of coffee hasn't kicked in ...... but I don't have a clue about what you are saying in your second paragraph...:confused: What do you mean by primary vs. intermediate contest? And is he "dumping" his work or "delegating" his work?

But it seems that everyone else is suggesting you take it... sooooo good luck with your decision....:)

I'm off for mug number two.....:p

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2011

I'm not understanding what about your current job. If you don't take the job at the school with the poor admin, will you still have a job? You just aren't sure about what grade? I would say stay put if you like the people you work with, switching grade levels seems better to me then going into an unhappy school. As long as you will always have a job.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2011

Go ahead & try it. Hey, if you don't like it after a yr or two, that was a yr or two's teacher salary you just earned plus you'll have more expertise.

11. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

May 14, 2011

Sorry, I will clear up a few things.

I will always have a job and while the district will try and keep me in a primary position I may end up in intermediate. Most jobs would last the full year.

The principal works the school hours and leaves most work for his secretary or AP to do. He's not delegating, he always assumes that he will get to it but is very disorganized.

The staff has a large divide between the staff. They don't work well together to do school functions or even school planning. I have never worked at a school where staff can't work together.

I hope this clears things up. I don't have to make up my mind for a week or so but I am losing sleep over it.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

Honestly, I would stay put....especially after the clarification.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2011

Stay where you are at.