Should I take Praxis II now or wait

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsteach, Jul 31, 2014.

1. mrsteach

mrsteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

I am returning to school to get my teaching certificate in Business (already have Master's in Accounting) and will finish my coursework for teaching certificate December next year. My state is changing from using the Praxis II to its own content assessment. No one seems to know anything about this new test or how to prepare for it. I can take the Praxis II now before the change, and the score will be valid for two years, plenty of time for me to finish my certificate. I took a practice test of the Praxis and got about 85% of the questions correct the first time with no studying. I realize that is not scaled, however, I am pretty confident with a little studying I can pretty easily pass the Praxis.

My question is would you suggest I go ahead and take the Praxis now or just wait to see for this new content assessment. I am wanting to apply as a sub in my district. (Have started the certificate process for that already). Would it look better to be able to say I have already passed the Praxis, or should I just save my money and wait.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2014

85% passes most teacher tests that I know of, with room to spare.

The MEGA series of tests is a Pearson series. MEGA Business is multiple choice only, according to the study guide (which looks newly posted, and thanks for the heads-up): 100 questions, equal coverage of five domains of business education. Look at the study guide to see what the domains are and ascertain how this test differs from the Praxis II (format is slightly less important than subject-matter coverage, but does still count).

Unless there's a major emphasis of MEGA Business that isn't familiar to you, or unless there's a compelling reason for you to have a Praxis II score in hand (say, you might want to teach in a neighboring state that still uses Praxis), it seems to me that you could perfectly well go with either test. That being the case, I'd start looking at factors like convenience and cost. MEGA's new, so it might be more expensive (and then it might not), and there will certainly be a delay in score reporting while the passing score and all that get worked out (but you're not up against a deadline), but computer-based tests can be scheduled pretty much at will. The Praxis test is probably still paper-based, so one takes it on specific dates, but it might be cheaper, and results might be back faster.

4. mrsteach

mrsteach Rookie

Jul 31, 2014

Thank you for that link! That is the first I have seen for the new assessment.