Should I take it or leave it?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, May 22, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 22, 2008

I am having somewhat of a dilema. I have been in an unexpected long term position since April 28th. The teacher was injured in a motorcycle accident so of course she was not expecting to be gone. So I was basically left with about two or three days worth of plans and then it was my responsibility to do lesson plans. Here is my question, do you think it is okay for me to take the parts of the activities that I developed or is it my responsibility to leave them for the regular teacher? I was basically given a copy of the state standards and ESL standards for the state, then told topics to teache but I was responsible for putting together most of the activities. I put together some activities that I had from resources of my own. I just don't want to leave it and run the risk of the teacher just throwing it away.

Mldouglas

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 22, 2008

How do they expect a sub to make lessons plans and do tests or w/e like a reg. Teacher? A sub is not certified(some are but not all). If this situation came up in my area they would call a sub that had on there form that they were a certified teacher.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2008

You should keep whatever you designed. I'm sure the teacher would appreciate if you left her copies of everything, at least so she knows what sorts of things you did while she was gone.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2008

If they are things that can't be copied, maybe you can just type up a brief description of the activity or take a photograph.

If you made it, it's yours. At least in my opinion.

:)

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 22, 2008

If "you break it, you buy it", then "you design and teach it, you keep it". No doubt you're working hard on this, and it'll be an asset to your future teaching portfolio. Good luck!

7. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 22, 2008

I think you'll find that ownership will depend largely on where the product was developed. If you were able to develop your plans, or a significant part of any given plan, on "school time", ownership will reside in the school district. If you did it, or most of it, at home, it will be yours.

If you give up your IP rights the next step (at least for many of the non-management programmers I used to manage) would be a suit for overtime.

8. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 22, 2008

Thank for all the thoughts

Thank you everyone for all the thoughts.

Mandagap06, I am a regular classroom certified classroom teacher. I just do not have my ESL certification, which I guess is not required as long as I am in the classroom under a certain number of days. My beef with the lesson plans and everything being dumped on me was that I only get a 50 minute prep time per day and I have to prepare activities for two 1st grade groups, two 3rd grade groups, a 4th grade group and a 5th grade group. Then on top of that I have a 3rd grade group for which the regular classroom teacher supplies the materials. I also do a 5th grade inclusion writing group and a 3rd grade inclusion math class.

Cassie753 & Catnfiddle,

I did design a few things from scratch. I also had a lot of my own resources that I used. The thing is that I used school supplies to make copies and get things copied and laminated. I did almost all of the planning at home. I also had access to some free previews of some teacher websites that I got information from. I basically just used the school's copier, laminator and printers to print materials.

Thanks,

Mldouglas

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2008

Honestly, I feel like the stuff is still yours. Keep it, and don't feel bad about it.

:)

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

My guess is, the teacher probably would not keep it, and I would not leave it. It is yours. You could jot a few notes about what you did, but you are not obligated to leave your work for them to stuff in their folders! Even though you are certified, you are not responsible for another teacher's work. If would be different if you, say..started the year for a ill teacher, and they returned and needed some guidelines on what had been presented. This late in the game, they know you are basically reviewing, being creative and certainly not presenting any critical, or totally new concepts.

if that was the case the P should have had the team leader give you some notes!

I had a similiar situation where I was an aide, pt time, no benefits, grrr..ugh...anyway.. they held a meeting and said that they now want aides to write lesson plans! I said to my self hecky no! I am not getting teacher pay, I have no stipend for buying materials, I have part time schedule and no benefits...you are not getting a full time teacher out of my part time behind!

Director kept asking me for them, and I kept blowing her off. Soon, I found another job. Wasn't in my job description and I don't appreciate bring stuff like that up 4 months into the job! I probably would not have accepted it...because I felt like if I was doing lesson plans, you might as well make me a teacher too, especially when you know I am certified!

11. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 24, 2008

I ended up taking it!!

I finished my long term sub position this past Friday. I did end up taking a few things. When I originally went into the position and then found out that I was going to be in there possibly for the rest of the school year I went into overdrive and prepared a single lesson for each day that I was supposed to be in there. I developed a couple of extra things to tie into one of the 5th grade lessons. So when I left yesterday I took all of my original ideas and I also took a copy of everything I had done with the kids. I left her a copy of everything I had used with the kids so fare. I also left her all of the extra copies of things that I had planned to do with the students but did not get the chance. I let her know that I was not wasteful, even if the piles of copies makes me look that way. I just very plainly stated to her that I came in expecting to do five full weeks and prepared for five full weeks. I also let her know that after I did this I was pulled from her room at least two days every week that I was there because they were short on subs for regular classrooms. The way I look at it, she will have extra things for next year so she can do the same lessons with next years groups.

Mldouglas

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 25, 2008

you are super efficient...

I hope more people notice that!

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 26, 2008

No kidding! Job well done!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2008

very sweet of you MD. Glad you took your things too!

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 26, 2008

It was kind of you to leave those things.

16. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

Keep it, it's all yours

17. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2008

You could tell her what you did and if she likes them then she can make them herself but you spent time and effort on them. They are yours. If she seems interested and wants to keep them and you don't need them, give them to her