Should I switch grades?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by myKroom, May 22, 2015.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 22, 2015

Please read and give me your thoughts on what I should do!

I've been teaching 9 years. Most of that time was as a kindergarten teacher, which I absolutely LOVED! During that time I completed my degree to become a principal. I decided that to be an effective leader I needed to branch out of kindergarten to gain more experience and a broader perspective of the elementary school. This past year I took a new job as an at-risk/Title 1 teacher in a new district.

Let's just say that I'm not a big fan of my job or my district (leadership in particular). I'm regretting the switch in both job and district. Some of it is accepting the move and being a "new" teacher again. I know I felt this way the last time I switched jobs/district. I'm hoping that getting another year under my belt will help me enjoy the job more. I do WANT to love this job.

Now I'm faced with a decision. We are a quickly growing district and have many jobs opening. I just found out yesterday that there is both a K and 1st grade position open for next year. I'm so tempted to jump back into a classroom, but I'm not sure it is what is best for my future goals.

I need some opinions...PLEASE!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 22, 2015

I think being well-rounded and having a variety of experiences on your resumer is important, especially if you are hoping to be an administrator. With that said, I think people can see right through someone who is making a change only to improve their own resume and not because it's a change to something they are really passionate about.

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 23, 2015

I don't see anything wrong with making a change to improve your resume or to expand your experience.

If your goal is to become an administrator, I agree that a variety of experiences may be important. Or, it may not. Most of my administrators through the years have had experience in only one job prior to becoming an admin.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 23, 2015

I dont see the fun in being an administrator. Too much drama and too much bad news to pass on to staffs now. YOU love teaching K? Follow your heart. Go back to your passion. WE need good K teachers. You can always be a principal and age and experience will help that.

6. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

May 25, 2015

I think follow your heart and go back to K...life's too short to be miserable!! :)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 25, 2015

This!

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

May 25, 2015

Follow your heart...if you want to go into admin. you need experience in other grades, but if K is your love embrace it! They put too much crap on teachers now so finding happiness in your job is the most important.

9. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 25, 2015

Thank you for your thoughts! You have all made some great points and I really appreciate it!