Should I stock up?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamToTeach, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jun 12, 2009

Staples is having one of their $1 sales. I see that a package of 6 highlighters is $1. I don't have a teaching position yet, and won't this coming year. Should I stock up? I wonder if they will go bad before I get my own classroom. They also have 24 Crayola crayons for $1. I am getting some of those! :thumb:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2009

Those sales will never go away, so I would probably just wait. I do understand your eagerness! :)

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

I wouldn't stock up on those types of materials just yet, but books, organizational items, clearance teaching materials, etc. are always wise to pick up whenever they're cheap.

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 12, 2009

i agree with the previous posts....also, things like crayons will get even cheaper closer to august, you can find them at 15 to 25 cents a box, fyi

6. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jun 12, 2009

Thanks! It is hard to be patient! And, I really don't know what grade I'll end up in. I'll have both my MS and SS, so it would be funny to have endless supplies of crayons and be teaching High School English! I'll just sit tight and worry about other things - like passing all the tests. :)

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 12, 2009

I got 24 packs of crayolas for 8 cents last year and the school will probably provide some hilighters for you.

Also, Staples has different quantities for teachers. You can get up to 25 of an item.

Some Staples deals from last year:

1 cent elmers glue
    1 cent packs of 8 pencils
    1 cent small Purell
    1 cent folders
    1 cent hand sharpeners that worked very well
    1 cent packs of eraser tops-25 to the pack
    25 cent packs of 8 mechanical pencils
    25 cent 3 hole punches
    8 cent crayolas-- I think this was Staples but may have been someplace else. Either way, Walmart had them for 33 cents.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 12, 2009

It's exciting to think about your future position, isn't it?!?!?!?!
    They have these sales every year, so you could buy a few things. I agree with emmakate-buy things that might not be there again like at garage sales and Goodwill.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 12, 2009

You never know what your school will provide either. If you see things at the dollar store like a huge set of skinny markers or some cute gel pens you may want to pick up that sort of thing. Usually the things that go dirt cheap are things that every student needs like pencils, crayons, filler paper, folders etc.

It is exciting that is for sure. Plus, if you are a supply junkie like a lot of us, it is very tempting to buy things.