Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2008

Not just a song lyric... the story of my life at the moment. Some of you may remember several of my posts that I have made on here this year about being unhappy in my school etc. I have been doing some thinking and now have really thought about it but I still want input from others. This is my situation:
    I work an hour and 15 minutes from my house. I commute there and back everyday. My son goes with me and I drop him off at daycare about 15 minutes from my school. If I got a job in the county close to me (Athens, Ga) then I would be losing $2,000 in salary. But I'd save at least $1,000 in gas each year (not including wear on my car). Plus I would be near to home, my son's Dr, my doctor, etc. I would be able to start clean and fresh at a school where no body knows me. The school I am at now, I was placed at when I was displaced 4 weeks into the school year. I took over for a teacher who was leaving. But she didn't leave for 3 months. I feel as though the negative feelings about me trying to take her place while she was still there and the fact that I was pregnant (which my 1st principal didn't tell my current principal) are still there with many people. I have experienced some extreme negativity from team members as blatant as being told straight to my face "Your opinion doesn't matter." I have put up with that attitude this year as well where everything I say is blown back into my face and the feeling that others on my grade level do not want me there, are being vindicative, and are making me feel unwelcome to the point that I don't want to leave my classroom.

So my question is (sorry so long!) am I nuts for thinking about changing school districts? My main concern is that UGA is based in Athens and I'm worried about being able to get a job. Or if I don't get one then I will have screwed up my chance of a job at my current school (worst case scenario).:help::help::help:

3. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Dec 10, 2008

Well of course, you ultimately have to decide what will make you happy. I will say that the environment you're in doesn't seem healthy. Being miserable and not having any support just makes for a long year. Its not fair to the students or you

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 11, 2008

Regardless of what you do for this fall, put what's happened to you behind you and look forward to just getting out of bed every morning and having a job.

I'd apply for the job in Athens for this fall. If you get it, go for it, if you don't TRY to fit it where you are. You won't miss the $2,000.00 that much. If you're paid in twelve monthly installments, that's about $166. a month. By the time taxes and teacher's retirement is taken out you're down to about $130, then take your REAL gas savings and wear and tear on your car (I think our district is paying 43 cents a mile.), and then your TIME driving, which is the most precious thing you have, you'd be fine switching.

I often think how hard it was when I was new on my campus. I'd been given a job several teachers wanted and then there were their followers who thought they'd been "done wrong". I was in grad school at the time so I just really didn't care if I was anyone's best friend. I went every day, talked to them like they were my best friend (they weren't but I wore the face), and went on about my job. Time passes. By the time we had a couple of deaths on my campus, new babies were born, teachers had kids get married, parents were buried, I'd been able to "build" a relationship with those teachers. No one is hardly accepted by just showing up. You have to show that you care too.

Count your blessings while you're there, make yourself happy. There's a lot of people who are losing their jobs and would give anything to have a paycheck every month.

Try to enjoy where you are right now. You don't have to be best friends with them, but you can be caring and begin to build a relationship with these people.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2008

I have made an effort to try and fit in. So long as I am talking with these other teachers during lunch or at recess its fine. But as far as them voluntarily having a conversation outside of school or even during planning time, forget it. There are teachers who hang out and have parties and are regular friends within my grade level. It's just that I am apparently not welcome there. My decision to leave is not completely based upon this. It is also a logical and financial reason for leaving as well. But it really bothers me as far as the emotional side as well. I have always been friends with the people that I work with. My husband said to get over that. He doesn't have an outgoing personality like me and doesn't usually have that many friends on the job sites that he works at. Am I really being over sensitive? I jus thtink a move would be benefical to me and my family.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2008

I would apply at schools closer to your home and then if you get an offer put in your resignation to your current school. Your current school should be understanding of the commute you make, and with a baby, makes it harder.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 11, 2008

That really is shameful. I'd have you over for dinner.

Administrators never blame someone for moving because of distance or even more money.

Good luck!

8. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2008

My situation this school year has been similar to yours.

I was commuting an hour to and an hour back. I was transferred to a different elementary to teach a different grade. It was tough. Life happened and I resigned because my parents' health and because of my unhappiness. I am now subbing and trying to get my foot in the door here in my hometown so by next fall I am teaching full-time again. I get so excited at the thought of having a teaching job in this area...without having too commute two hours every work day! It would feel like paradise! :cool:

Just saying that I feel your pain of the commute and whatnot! Definitely try finding a teaching job in your immediate area! Go for it!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2008

It sounds like you've already made your decision and are just searching for reassurance that you've made the right one. Of course it's acceptable to look for alternate employment when you're miserable where you are and you drive quite a distance to get there. Apply for jobs in Athens, or anywhere else for that matter. The job is stressful enough as it is, you don't need to add another layer of stress if you don't have to.

10. 1angel

1angel Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

I decided last year that I really didn't like working in the school I was in. The drive was far, the people rude, administration poor, parents from you know where.
    I got so worried about not getting a job closer and feeling so guilty about 'giving' up that I didn't even look I just stayed. Big mistake for me. Of course nothing is better, I had made up my mind but let my worries overcome that decision.
    This year I will be leaving. I will finish this year and I will not be going back. I will look closer and to appease my worries I have accepted that I may have to sub, tutor, or work at the bank. But really the chances of all that are slim. Create a great looking resume and start checking now for job fairs. I know in my area there are several starting in February (plus this gives me something to look forward too!).

I know I have hated the school I am in and I realize now that I felt desperate to take a job. I moved 1,000 miles from a town where there are no jobs, schools are closing left and right, and so when I was offered a job I took it.

I know now and feel you will too, things that I need to check for in the next school. I know you didn't end up in that school by choice but you will certainly know some things to ask about in the next school.

My mom gave me some good advice too. Shut the door and have fun. Sing, dance, color. The kids will be happier, learn more, and you will be happier. I have all kinds of educational music CD's and I'll find songs that go with the curriculum so we get up sing and dance and technically we are still learning and most important makes the day go by smoother.

Good luck with everything, you've made up your mind what you're going to do don't be afraid to follow through like I was.

11. snowgirl

snowgirl New Member

Dec 15, 2008

I'm glad I found this thread. I've pretty much decided I want to leave the teaching profession after 15 years, I'm just not sure I can find another career that will pay enough for me to be able to do it.

I loved teaching until the past couple of years when our administrator went Nazi on us. He noses in constantly, but tries to be sneaky about it, like listening in on the intercom and phone system, listens in on conversations people have on the phone, talks negatively about people behind their backs, and trying to peek in your window without you seeing him. I even caught him coming in my room one night after school to snoop. I think maybe I've just become frustrated because of the way he demeans people and then tries to make you feel inadequate. I'm so exhausted from the stress of this, that the "neediness" of my students is more than I can take anymore. I feel like he's trying to constantly gather ammunition to use against people. It probably doesn't help that we've had several people that were non-renewed on their contracts for totally fabricated reasons. Our district has lost more than one court case in the past few years for pulling stuff like that.

I know in any job you will have someone who is difficult to work with. I've always been able to handle that ok. I'm at the point where I just get physically ill some days when I go to work.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any advice and do you think I'm making a rash decision to try to find another career? It kind of stinks because I have a permanent teaching certificate, a continuing contract and am at the top of the salary scale. I never thought I would want to do anything else, but now I can't hardly stomach the thought of doing it for even one more year.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2009

After the news I heard today, I have pretty much turned to alcohol to help numb me:D. I am having problems with one of my aides b/c he is pretty well functioning at the level of my special needs students. He has no common sense and he has problems even helping my students sounding out words. He can't even talk at a level that my students can understand. It is so hard to work with someone who feel like he is perfect and does no wrong. He is actually telling other aides what they are doing wrong:eek:. In the 3 months that he has been with me, he has not bonded with any of the students and parents are upset that he is in charge of some of their child's paper work. He is in charge of daily communication and it is embarrassing sending things home with improper grammar, spelling mistakes, incomplete sentences... I have shared my concerns with my principal and we had a meeting with him and his supervisor a few months ago and nothing has changed. I was lead to believe that he will be removed from my room. After school my other aide told me that she talked to her supervisor and the supervisor let it slip that the principal has requested that he not be removed from my room. She also told her that the principal thought that I was the problem (no other teacher wants him in their class, but I am the problem!)!

I knew the principal couldn't stand me but I thought that she was big enough to put the needs of my students before her need to "stick one to me". I am so upset but unfortunately due to contractual reason I will be stuck in this school for another year.

Last year working with the principal was horrible, she stuck me with an aide that no one wanted to work with (the last teacher left b/c of her) and made me feel like it was my fault that we had issues. I have never ever in my 11 years of teaching had to "vote" over changing a bulletin board or moving an easel and even though the principal told me that I did not have to do this, she did nothing to tell the aide that she could have a say in things but in the end it was my decision.

I am at the point that I will be phoning the union next week to find out what I can do to get out of this school....

13. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

I work in Gwinnett, so I know you know as much about the job situtation around here as I do. It sucks. My principal is actually opening up a new school in the fall, and when people asked to go with her, she told them there are so many displaced teachers in our county that she will have to do very little hiring -- for a brand new school. I'd think long and hard about leaving your school this year -- there is supposedly a hiring freeze all over our area.
    Can you try to transfer within your county or stick it out another year (maybe with another team or grade level)? Especially since you'd want to move to Athens, you'd be competing against thousands of brand new teachers who cost less than you -- and that is such a small school district anyway (I applied a few years ago). With all the budget cuts and uncertainty all over our state, I'd stick it out where you are.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

If it's absolutely unbearable, stressful, putting your health at risk- go (but put careful consideration into $$ issues if you don't have a job lined up- it's tough out there in all fields!!)...If you can, stick it out until you have a bonafide job offer, signed contract...Look at this advice:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=77244