Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jan 11, 2015.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 11, 2015

I am a kindergarten teacher and have been for the past nine years. I feel pretty confident about my ability to teach kindergartners. I know our curriculum and the kindergarten common core standards inside and out. I have ironed out the kinks and I now know what works and doesn't work (for the most part. I know as teachers, we are always learning). I am very comfortable and content of where I am. However, there are times where I would love for all of my students to come to school on the first day knowing how to write their name, how to line up and to be able to tell the difference between the letter A and the number 1. It would be nice for my students to come in having some background knowledge of being at a public elementary school (we don't have TK).

Now that I have told you all that, there is a chance I may be offered to teach the 1st/2nd grade combo class here at our school. The superintendent asked if I would like to have the position when the current teacher retires which is still 2 1/2 years away. I know that is a long ways away, but I'm not sure if I should do it or stay. The current teacher is amazing and I would have VERY big shoes to fill if I did go. I know that all grades are important, but the reading in 1st and 2nd grade is imperative to the rest of their education and I am so scared that I'll screw up. :unsure: Plus, it is two grade levels I will be teaching and I will have an aide. I am so used to not having an aide and that would be an adjustment. It is just so much more than what I am doing now. I'm scared that if I move to first and second, I will be very overwhelmed and I will regret my decision to go.

However...I don't know if I want to stay in kindergarten for the rest of my teaching career. I love K, but, it would be nice to have a change and to try something different. Also, I'm afraid of what my super will think of me if I decide to stay. I'm afraid that he will see me as someone who just wants to be comfortable and doesn't want to challenge myself.

I know I'm rambling and it's a couple of year away, but, I want to give my super my decision by the end of next year at the latest. I guess I'm just not confident in myself. Has anyone ever taught 1/2 combo class? Some helpful advice is very much needed!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 11, 2015

I'd be leery about teaching a 1/2 combo without having taught t least one of the two grade levels.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

I agree with this. If I were admin I would be looking for an experienced 2nd grade teacher to run it.

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 11, 2015

I agree. However, I know that this opportunity will not happen again. Teachers that get hired at our school stay until they retire. All of the teachers here have been here for over 15, 20 years (except me). So, whatever my decision is, it will be pretty permanent which is why I am going back and forth with this.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

So people at your school never change grades?

7. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 11, 2015

No. It is a very small country school with a very small number of teachers.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

As an admin, like I said I would prefer an experienced 2 nd grade teacher in that position if it was available. However, with that said, I am getting the impression that you do want to make a change in grade level. I really really really believe that when a teacher wants to make a change in grade level, they should make that change. A teacher who is motivated to make the change will be successful.

If you are motivated to make the change, then I think you should go for it. If you are an effective teacher in K, I have no doubt you will be effective with a 1/2 combo.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 11, 2015

Yikes! Personally, I'd steer clear of any combo class. I don't know of anyone who'd voluntarily teach a combo!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2015

Grade level changes in my building tend to be dictated by student population needs.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

Yep, same with mine.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 11, 2015

I wouldn't do it. Combos are terrible...ANY combo, let alone 2 grades I don't know anything about.

There's no single 1st grade class? You couldn't loop ever while the 1st teacher goes down?

13. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 12, 2015

No. There is only a 1/2 combo because we have such a small school.