Should I Stay Or Just Leave?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Corrine Shaw, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Corrine Shaw

Corrine Shaw Rookie

Dec 1, 2016

Hi Everyone,
    I currently have an amazing full-time position as a middle school teacher at a school I enjoy and I have a not so amazing part-time position as a night school instructor at an alternative school. Don't get me wrong, I knew exactly what clientele I'd be dealing with at the alternative school. I was hoping there would be a little bit of support and/or consistency from administration (plus most of my ten years of teaching I've dealt with difficult students), but this school year has became almost unbearable.
    The alternative school keeps permitting students into the evening program who don't fit the criteria for their night school (i.e Junior or Senior and able to work on their own without any major behavior issues). I have worked there part-time for the last 4 years. Before this year, I enjoyed working with students who were mostly appreciative of having a second chance and weren't behavior issues. Now, the school is accepting as many students as possible to increase student enrollment for the sake of money and many of those students have out of control behavior with no discipline from administrators when needed.
    I spend a lot of time creating lesson plans and grading papers for the part-time job, and I feel like at this point it all is for nothing because the majority of the students either don't show up or when they're there they won't do any of the work. I've been physically and emotionally drained over the last few months and I feel as if the only thing that keeps me going is that my main teaching gig is not a nightmare.
    I've already decided I'm not returning to the part-time position next school year, but I'm really struggling with the idea of finishing out this school year. The extra money is pretty good, but I don't know if I should torture myself for 6 more months just for the sake of money. Also, I feel guilty about wanting to break my contract. Should I just follow my gut and leave or ride out the rest of the school year in misery? I each time I convince myself to go ahead and put my two-week notice in, I talk myself out of it, so I think it's time I listened to the advice of others.

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Dec 1, 2016

I presently teach at a night school as well as teach middle school during the day. I think its really up to you. I mean like you said, money is great and all but at what cost? HAve you spoken to admin and let them know your concerns?

4. Corrine Shaw

Corrine Shaw Rookie

Dec 1, 2016

Yes I have spoken to them about how I feel and that I'm burning out. They keep asking if I'm sure about not coming back next year and they said they hope I can finish this year out if I was serious about not returning.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 1, 2016

This is your secondary income, so you're in a much better situation than those teachers who are considering leaving their only teaching job.
    Questions you should ask yourself:
    - can I be without this second income for the rest of the school year?
    - is the money worth the hassle I'm dealing with?
    -would talking to admin about the problems help?
    - what happens if I break my contract?
    - how soon can I replace this income?

6. PunctuationPanda

PunctuationPanda Rookie

Dec 9, 2016

I would also ask yourself what you could potentially do in the meantime to ease your stress. Neither of us are in your situation, so we don't actual feel the stress you have. I do know from what little experience I have that every little bit of relief counts.

7. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Dec 12, 2016

My opinion is that teaching all day, then teaching more at night? Is this every night of the week? That's quite a bit and that's going to add stress. Maybe for a semester here and there but every semester?? This means you are teaching 15-16 hours a day! If they would pay teachers more we wouldn't have to worry about this. But with many states the low pay causes us to have to do something extra on the side. With any school or classes it just takes one class to set the balance off if one class is out of sorts or rowdy. I've had it happen to me more than once and it makes things so much more stressful! Can you get some intervention, like an assistant principal or head teacher to come in help out? I've had to do that before and that can sometimes help.