should I speak with my union?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Nov 27, 2014.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Nov 27, 2014

This is my 5th year teaching, but first year in a union job.

I was assigned an extra duty I did not want at my site. I did not complain because I was told I would be compensated for all hours outside of my contract. It is a huge job most teachers would not want and in the month of October I worked extra hours worth about $500. I turned in my hours log in early November. My p had to finish paper work by November 15. I was supposed to get paid for them on my paycheck we received earlier this week. I did not get paid for them. I have also not received about additional $40 from hours worked in September. I was supposed to be paid for them October 31. I emailed my p and he said many people have to approve a form and it hasn't been completed yet. He said to wait until my next paycheck. However, payroll feels it can't get our monthly December paycheck ready before their vacation next month, so I won't get paid in December at all and instead have to wait until we go back to school January 7.

I feel it is crazy to not get paid for hours worked in late September until January 6. I also am frustrated as I was counting on that money to get me through the expensive holidays and the 6.5 weeks until my next paycheck (normally I should only have to wait 4). If a union could get payroll to cut me a check for hours worked before my next paycheck, it would lessen a lot of stress and make the holidays a little nicer for me and my family. However I have never gone to a union before and don't want to **** off my p. What do you think?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 27, 2014

Can you ask another teacher? I have to wait awhile for extra hours I did because of our funky holiday payroll schedule. They let us know ahead of time though.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2014

I get paid monthly for a stipend position I have after school. It shouldn't take this long. Call payroll and ask if there's any way your check could be expedited.

5. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Nov 27, 2014

I can check with payroll, but they have a bold underline statement on their front page saying they never cut checks outside of the payroll dates, even if the money is earned or their error.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Nov 27, 2014

I wouldn't contact my union about a payroll issue, unless I didn't get paid at all. It can definitely take extra pay cycles for non-standard payments to be made in my district.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 27, 2014

My extra duty stipend only comes out four times a year, with the one for my club advising once a year. Find out if there is a schedule more like that.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 27, 2014

Cat makes a good point. All of our stipends (clubs, sports, etc...) are paid in one lump sum at the end of the year.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 27, 2014

Because it sounds like you're getting a bit of a runaround, I think you'd be justified in calling your union. They may tell you that this is normal, but from your description, it sounds like things aren't going as fast as they should be.

10. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Nov 27, 2014

No, I am not on a special schedule. The first form says I would be paid October 31. The second said November. I have still not received either pay.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2014

ICAM. When it comes to matters of money, especially if the district is supposed to be paying you and not the school; I would at least speak with your school's Union rep to see if the delay in your pay has an explanation.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2014

It couldn't hurt to call the union to find out if this sort of thing is normal in your district. Unless you believe that someone is intentionally withholding your money, though, I'm not sure there's a lot they can do.

My district is notoriously slow when it comes to paying teachers for additional hours. It is not at all uncommon to be paid months after hours worked. I think that it happens because in such a large district there are multiple layers to the approval process and everyone just takes their sweet time with paperwork. The money always shows up eventually. We have just learned to be patient.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 27, 2014

I can see how the approvals are taking extra time but the whole thing about payroll not being on time because of their vacation? That's not acceptable. They should be getting payroll out before vacation. They sound like a bunch of dim bulbs. Sorry you are not getting your pay like you should :(

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2014

Given you have these dates in writing you should first follow up with payroll. Then contact the union if they aren't going to pay you by the next check date and don't accept such stipend positions in the future if it's such a hassle.:2cents:

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 27, 2014

I'd contact payroll to find out if/when your principal submitted the overtime sheet.

Generally, teachers give their overtime sheets to me because I sign them immediately and send 'em off. There have been countless times that my principal has lost overtime sheets in the mountain of paperwork on his desk. :(

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 28, 2014

Good point. I had an expense check that my P had signed off on & I faxed over. I should have emailed it to myself as it didn't go through. A month later I realized it, redid it, this time emailing it to myself & then forwarding the email. Got an out-of-office response from the person. Waited a month, followed up with an email, no response, talked to one of our office staff, she talked to the person. Finally got a response that the check had been cut. It took another week before it arrived. The final week it was waiting for a signature. It took a lot of follow up on my part to get the expense check.

17. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Nov 28, 2014

I understand how this can be but in our job, if a parent contacted us with a question, would we be allowed to drag it out like this?

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 28, 2014

Of course not. Payroll needs to get their act together. They have probably been allowed to drag things out and nobody has said anything. Most schools have the same vacations so why is it that they can't get payroll done before vacation and other schools can? If they scheduled their vacation earlier than the rest of the school then why was this allowed?

19. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Nov 28, 2014

Regardless of who you contact, I would leave this part out. It detracts from the real issue.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 28, 2014

I would include it. It's important for them to recognize that they are dealing with an actual human being who is being negatively impacted by this.

21. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I emailed payroll and they said my p never turned in my timecards or materials. They said they need thm before Thursday to pay me in January. I forwarded to p and asked them to follow up and said I was concerned about the delay. P never emailed me back but did respond to a different email to the staff. I am worried they are mad I asked them to take care of this. What should I do next?

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 2, 2014

Just as I suspected! :(

23. comaba

comaba Cohort

Dec 2, 2014

I would contact the union. This type of issue is probably covered in the contract or in the district policy manual.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2014

This.