Should I Shave Before Interview?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Jul 22, 2018.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

I know the conventional wisdom is that a man should shave before an interview. But what if I said that when I am clean shaven, I look like I am 18?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

Neatly trimmed facial hair would not be a problem in my area.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jul 22, 2018

Preconceived ideas concerning appearance can override any productive conversation during an interview. Concerning facial hair, it depends on the current cultural situation. Looking like you forgot to shave, I would think, could be worse than looking like you're 18. But having a culturally conservative mustache, beard, etc. shouldn't sway an interview one way or the other. But looking like you're 18 shouldn't sway the interview negatively, but I can see where it could be a positive. It establishes your good health. Perhaps not lawfully, but realistically an interviewer could be thinking how your youthful health will give you more energy for your teaching position. Your resume and your participation during the discussion will be the ultimate factor in determining your hiring. (Addendum: I still think a coat and tie are culturally appropriate: you're applying for a professional teaching position, not for a position as a rock star).

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    UpperMidwest likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

Good luck at your interview! Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

UpperMidwest and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2018

I have never ever seen a male teacher not get hired because he looks young. I have never even heard a negative comment from interview panels on a male teacher looking too young. Looking 18 won't hurt you.

After being on so many interview teams, I know principals have their guard against anyone who looks like they won't go the extra mile. Show them you are someone who gives it your all. I'd get the razor out and look your best.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2018

It wouldn’t be a problem here either.

UpperMidwest likes this.
  9. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

Dress to impress and always look your best. If it’s trimmed up, tight and clean, that is just as good as freshly shaven. And if they don’t hire you because of a beard, you don’t want to work there anyway.

10. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jul 23, 2018

I think as long as it doesn't look like you just forgot to shave or you're all scraggly looking, you should be fine

UpperMidwest and bella84 like this.