Should I Say Something.....Or Let It Go?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justfine, Sep 23, 2008.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 23, 2008

I have a few things to say tonight! I thought I was going to lose it on Monday. Here's what happened.....I was sitting in the teachers lounge reading a magazine and eating my lunch when a teacher walked in. She sat down and I said, "Hello." She said, "Hi!." Then she said something very stupid to me! She said, "You are causing a lot of trouble around here huh? You should be grateful the principal gave you an opportunity to be a coach in the school!" I said, "I don't think I am causing trouble! I think I was doing a good job!"Then she said, "Yeah! You are better than us!" I said, "I don't think so. Why would you say that?" Then she said, "YOU PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS CAUSING TROUBLE AROUND HERE!" Then she left the lounge! I wanted to grab her by her hair and call it a day!!! But I just took a deep breath and stuffed some rice in my mouth. The nerve!!!!

I got an informal observation today! My AP came into my room and just sat there. It was five minutes before dismissal. I was getting the kids ready to go home. I guess the game is on. Someone posted that I should cross my Ts and dot my I!!!! I think I have to be extra perfect! It is just so stressful!!!!

My meeting is schedule for Wednesday at 3:30pm!!! I just want this to end!!!!!!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 23, 2008

Who does this woman think 'you people' are? People who do the right thing? People who call other people out on their bad behavior? People who stand up for themselves? Sheesh. What a lame teacher. You did the right thing. We are all rooting for you!

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 23, 2008

You people? What does that mean?!?!?!

Don't listen to anything that other teacher said. You know you are in the right and I can't see how ANY educator could feel comfortable looking a blind eye to plagiarism...something we wouldn't accept in our students in a million years.

Keep your chin up. We're all behind you :)

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 23, 2008

Well, that just proves the teachers' lounge is NOT the place to hang out, huh?

I hope things get better!!!!!!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2008

It's always darkest just before dawn.....

There's a lot of truth in those old sayings. We're all on your side. The union has the p's number. Do your job, document everything, and let your union rep know everything that happens. The truth will win in the end.

As far as the other teacher is concerned, don't even let it worry you. Remember, the other teachers are only hearing ONE side of the story, and you can bet that it's not very flattering to you. Don't even respond if you're approached again. Just say "I was advised not to make any comments to anybody without my union representation present" and leave it at that.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2008

Ugh! The nerve of that teacher. I'm sure she'd be doing the same thing if the AP plagarized(?) her work. I would ignore her and continue on the path you are on because its going to pay off in the long run. As for the AP, it sounds like he's going to do everything he can to make you nervous. Don't let them!! You know you are a great teacher and they know they are in the wrong.

I'll be watching the forums tomorrow night!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 23, 2008

You know, I just thought of something.

If she said 'you people are always causing trouble', that means someone else has called out someone else at this school on something similar. I wonder if this principal has done this before with a teacher who has left. What an interesting idea. I wonder if the union is seeing a pattern of behavior. Just a thought. Maybe you can dig around a bit to find out if there was a similar situation in the past....

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 23, 2008

Oh, you've got an evil streak Jem :D.....I like you. lol.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2008

She sounds like one of the principals henchmen at work. And from the conversation she also sounds crazy. I would probably stay away from her.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 23, 2008

Hahaha! I sooooo agree.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2008

That was my exact same thought. I would watch what I say around this teacher, and others!!! I worked at a school where the principal had some of his brown nosing teachers eavesdropping for him. They would listen in and act all nice and on your side, then report to the P what so and so had said. UGH! Poor you. What an annoying situation to be in.

13. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Wow, that's hilarious... sorry! That teacher sounds like a total nut, and I agree that it seems there are some things that are neither flattering nor truthful floating around about the situation. Just keep reminding yourself that you are right and you are doing what is right. You took the appropriate steps and this isn't over yet. Keep on dotting those Is and crossing those Ts and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! :)

Can't wait to hear the update (hopefully there will be something to tell this time and the P doesn't ditch out again, hehe)

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

I imagine the P will find a way to ditch again. At what point does this situation have to be taken over the head of the P? It's a shame we can't all quit our day jobs and work for the A to Z Charter School:D

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2008

Just be sure you document EVERYTHING. The dates, times, and circumstances of any observations, even this little incident in the faculty room. Don't worry about letting them know you're documenting either.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2008

:eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

Sheesh, if she's a henchman, she falls into the category of "bumbling idiot" (it's a formal comic book classification, you know). Let's see. . . what could "you people" refer to? If you really wanted to cause trouble, the statement gives you ample opportunity to cause trouble, in figuring out what she meant.

A proper henchman will be nice, pretend to be sympathetic to your side of the story, and report back to the principal. Be very careful, because it's not long before the P thinks of this. The good thing is that he will probably pick an idiot who tries to obviously pump you for information. Be cautious anyway.

I would avoid even mentioning the union representation. Note that this person didn't mention anything about plagiarism, she just mentioned you were "causing trouble". I think you should play it like you have absolutely no idea what people are talking about when they bring this up. Force them to say what they heard. Don't even let them get away with, "I heard you had a conflict with the AP" without an innocent, "Really? What kind of conflict?"

The AP is trying to engage in a form of intimidation. It's disgusting.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2008

Wondering how it went!!!!

18. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Oh my gosh! I am so impressed with how strong you are being throughout all of this! You're doing an AMAZING job.

I hope this afternoon went well- no more fire drills or anything!

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 24, 2008

That is just unbelievable! The nerve of SOME PEOPLE! I also admire your courage, I wouldn't have had the nerve to call him out on that. But you know what that's how people get away with all that they do. I'm sure that woman has not heard the whole story but whatever the party line is from the administration. They have to know what they did was wrong. And to come do an observation just before dismissal - the gloves are definitely off. He's showing his power - I would do like you said and just be beyond reproach every minute of every day.

I am also curious to hear how it went. The whole thing makes me mad and I wasn't even there.

20. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

I'm not sure I understand all of the details surrounding your post, however, I wish you luck in your situation. It's awful to feel ganged up on at work. How did your meeting go this afternoon?

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 24, 2008

It's Wednesday how did things go?

22. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Well??????? C'mon, we're all dying to know! I hope the fact that it's almost 8:00 and you haven't posted doesn't mean anything bad!:unsure:

23. justfine

justfine Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

I Got an Apology

I got an apology today! The AP explained that he didn't think it would matter. I asked, "How can that be? You basically stole my work. I worked really hard on that document for the school and the kids. But it is still my work.....NOT YOURS?" Then I said, "There is a name for what you did.....PLAGARISM!!!" All of a sudden, he said, "You are right!" I was totally surprised! Then the principal said, "So we owe you an apology! We will add your name to the document and redistribute it to the staff." Then my union rep said, "Let's get to the issue of her position!" "Why was she removed for her post as coach." At that point, the principal looked at the AP and the AP looked at her." Then the principal said, "She can continue her role as the literacy coach!" I was stunned. They did not put up a fight at all! It was like taking candy from a baby! After an awkward 5 seconds, the principal asked, "Are we done here?" I said that I wanted to say a few things before we leave the table. I said, "I am glad you can admit to slapping your name on my work and I am happy that you are giving me my position back as coach. However, I don't feel comfortable working for you as a coach. If it is possible, I would like to remain in the classroom as a teacher." The principal said, "That's fine if that what you want!" I said, "It is!!" Then I handed my union rep my notes on the situation. As soon as I handed my rep the notes, the prinicpal said, "Ms. _____ it is not necessary to give him your notes on the matter." I said, "I think so!" There was a moment of silence at the table. Then my rep stood up and said, "Ms. _____ were are done here." Then we wallked out and I thanked him for his support. He told me to keep in touch if anything comes up!!!!!

You guys gave me so much strength to handle this situation. If it wasn't for you guys I would have given up! Thanks for standing with me on this one!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

THANKS

24. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!:):hugs::):hugs::):hugs::):hugs::D:D:):hugs::):hugs::):hugs::hugs:

Would you guess their union or lawyers told them they'd better cave?

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 24, 2008

WOO HOO!!! I am sure the principal talked to the union too and was told that they were in the wrong and that they will not stand behind them. I am so happy that YOU chose to stand up for yourself!!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 24, 2008

I'm STUNNED!! I'm glad they figured out it wasn't prudent to fight.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 24, 2008

I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

28. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

Congratulations :)

29. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 24, 2008

Yay Congrats! I'm glad everything has been worked out! :):):)

I wish they'd just done this from the beginning! Would've saved a lot of time! Sheesh!

30. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Great news! I hope things in your life can calm down now! You have been very strong and brave.

31. who me

who me Rookie

Sep 24, 2008

Justfine,
    You did a great job through this whole ordeal. I'm so glad for you that it is finally over. Now enjoy teaching. You kids are luck to have you for their teacher. Although this is not something you should or would share with them I am sure they will be learning many great values from a fantastic role model. I do feel sorry for the first kid in your class that steals someone else's work - look out! LOL Take care, thanks for sharing and don't forget to celebrate!

32. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 24, 2008

WOoooooohooooooo!!! YAY!!!!!!! That is great!!!!!! Let's hope they keep their noses clean for now on!! WOooooooohooooooo!!!!

33. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Congratulations! I am glad this worked out for you......

I am the one who suggested that you cross your T's and dot your i's and I think it would be prudent to continue to be very careful.

Like someone else said...don't talk to anyone about this or about the AP or P because they may be "henchmen or whatever" that being said....I would have to come up with some kind of reply to anyone else who says something like "Wow! I'm surprised you know anything about it, you definitely don't know
    my side, but thanks for your input."

Anyway, I wish you a calm, peaceful successful rest of the year!
    And know that we all appreciate you standing your ground! Way to go!

34. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

YEA!! I am so glad it's come to a good ending justfine! You really stuck to your guns!
    Are you sure, though, that you no longer want the coach position?

35. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 24, 2008

I am so happy for you.

I don't want to be a "Negative Nelly" but please be careful still. I would think if they were rotten enough to plagarize to begin with, they are probably pretty pissed that they got caught. They may still try to make things really rough for you.

36. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 24, 2008

Yea for Just Fine!!! What a wonderful job you did - and what a great role model for the rest of us to stay the course!

Put this behind you and enjoy your class!

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2008

Congrats!! I'm happy that everything worked out for you!

38. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2008

huh?:eek:
    :DCongratulations! I'm really happy for you!!! And it was pretty "big" of them to admit that they were wrong. Wow. :hugs:

39. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 24, 2008

Justfine,

I am glad that things worked out well for you.... makes me wish that Georgia was union sometimes. :) As the others have said just be careful, do an awesome job and don't let them rattle you. The kids will be the beneficiaries.

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 24, 2008

I don't think they were being "big". I think that their own lawyers had a say in what was going on, and they did what they were told to do.

41. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I am glad things worked out for you. :thumb: I kept checking this post to see what the outcome was. Your teaching job is at another school right? You are rid of the toxins now.