Hello, I work with ESE students in the elementary grades, but am also a parent of a 1st grader with a serious dilemma and would like some advice from the perspective of other teachers! I am wondering if I should retain my 1st grader for this next coming school year. It is a very complicated and specific situation......so I will try to keep my very long story as short as possible. Basically, she started school a year before the cut off for our public schools. We are in Florida and our cut off here is 8/31. My daughter's b-day is 9/12. Being that she just missed the cutoff by weeks, I chose to put her in a private school in K a year before they would have taken her in the public school, as I felt she was ready. After K, I transferred her over to public school, where they gave me the choice of putting her in K or 1st and after much, much contemplation about it, I put in her 1st. So now fast forward...... I regretted my decision terribly! Halfway through the year, she really began to struggle with reading comprehension and math. The teacher was very concerned, I explained her situation and I was even given the option by the principal of putting her back in K if I wanted to. However, the teacher and I both thought that doing that mid year would be too disruptive, so we did not do that and decided to wait and see how the year would end. Now, at the end of 1st grade, she really has shown a lot of progress, to the point that the teacher no longer is recommending retention. However, her end of year test scores were a 78% (percent, not percentile) in reading and a 65% in math. What she struggled the most with all year was with the math, which in my opinion she was not getting a lot of it due to developmental reasons (a lot of it was very abstract). She was also showing some signs of shutting down during math HW and has referred to herself many times as "not being good at math". I did get her evaluated to rule out any kind of disability, and she performed average in math and above average in all areas of reading (according to her age). MY gut never told me she had a disability. So although the teacher is saying move on to 2nd, my problem is this.... 1) I fear that she may possibly always be playing catch up and be one step behind the other kids. 2) I feel that she really is such a bright little girl and that by being in the wrong grade, she will likely perform like a B/ C average student in comparison to her peers, when she could be an A student. 3) What is the rush? Just to have her graduate a year earlier. To complicate things even further....she is in a dual language program, which is challenging in itself already IMO. Most of the kids are above average, as they need to meet a minimum criteria to be in the program. She met the very minimum to stay in it for next year(2nd), just like she did going into it this year. So, given all this information, I'm not sure if keeping her in 1st again (and basically placing her in the grade she should have been) is really the best thing for her OR should I just continue on the path she has already started.In reality, she is meeting criteria for promotion. That is the bottom line. I naturally worry about how retention would affect her emotionally and that is the biggest thing that stands in my way of retaining her. I don't know how she would feel seeing all her friends move on. However, she has always been aware that she is in the wrong grade by age since the very beginning, and when we discussed how she felt about staying in 1st again, she actually didn't think much of it and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. But I think that was basically because she would get to stay with her teacher, that she loves! I'm just not sure she quite gets what retention means at this age! So given all of that, I need to make a very BIG decision for her! and I only want to make the best choice for her in the long run. What would you advice in this very difficult situation? Stick it out or undo the grade skip? Thanks so much for your opinions.