Should I resign? Need advice!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by aliciantx, Feb 21, 2013.

1. aliciantx

aliciantx New Member

Feb 21, 2013

I am teaching sixth grade in a new district after 20 years in early elemetary. It has been the most challenging year in my career. The behavior issues are endless. I have tried everything in I know, and gotten advice from others. I have used any and all advice given by more experienced teachers. Some say I just got a really bad group of students. I teach three classes of language arts. Today was the fourth fight between boys. THese fights do not occur in anyone else's room, only mine. I feel a complete failure in this school. It is the first time I am considering resigning during a school year. But besides being completely stressed out, I feel I just am not teaching this year at all because of the behavior management. I always said that without discipline no learning can occur. I almost quit at Christmas but several teachers told me not to give up. Now we are two weeks from spring break and it is getting worse.

I think I should resign for the end of the year.

Any comments?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2013

What would you do if you quit? Go back to elementary? Could you find another job without a reference from your P?

Only you can decide if resigning is the right thing for you. Do you feel that you have exhausted all the help available to you at your school?

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 22, 2013

Hoping you don't have to resign...
    Have you met with the dean of discipline at your school? If possible, it might help to meet with him/her to tell what's going on and everything you've tried. Then maybe you can let him/her know who the worst offenders are, the ringleaders, and what they are specifically doing to interfere with learning. Then you can arrange to send them out to the dean at the slightest infraction, knowing that since the dean is prepared and knows what's up, he/she can take care of it. Sometimes you need to take care of the kids who might want to learn if the environment could be made more conducive to learning, even if it means that the ones who are interfering with learning have to find another place to be.

5. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Feb 22, 2013

My advice is not to resign. Jobs are tough to come by nowadays. Stick it out to the end. There are only a few more months left in the school year. Just hope and pray that things will get better.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 22, 2013

I'd hold out until the end of the year. You learned 6th grade isn't for you. Younger grade teachers are great at breaking things apart and teaching creatively. Have some fun and teach them some great things. The pressure can be off as you know you can try to transfer to another grade at the end of the year.

You have made it this far "in the race". Finish strong. You can do it.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Feb 23, 2013

do you want to resign because you no longer want to teach or because you do not want to teach 6th?
    do not give up if you still want to teach. clearly you have proved you can!