Should I request a meeting with my mentor (AP)?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 17, 2013

To touch base over how I am doing as a new teacher? I figure if football games have "half-time" meetings to go over stuff, why shouldn't I? Would it be a waste of time or should I have done it earlier since Thursday and Friday are midterm exam days? :eek:

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2013

I think it's a great idea and it's never too late to request feedback! I have a meeting with my mentor for our state induction program and hope to get some good feedback, constructive criticism included!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2013

If your mentor is the AP, then the days before midterms are probably his most hectic of the year....right along with the days when final grades are due. Throw in the week before Christmas, and I would advise you to wait.
    Consider making the request when his office quiets down.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 17, 2013

Too late to unsubmit my e-mail but I'm sure she'll tell me she's bogged down... :lol:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2013

I think it's great to get some feedback mid year....I don't understand why your mentor is your AP, however...just doesn't rub right for me...the philosophy in my area is that a mentor should be non- supervisory with a relationship built on trust and confidentiality. Are you somewhat guarded in your conversations with AP? Do you have other 'unofficial' mentors on whom to rely?

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 18, 2013

I also talk with the other tenured math teachers in the department. There are 2 tenured and 3 non-tenured so I get feedback and advice from them.... They have given me suggestions when faced with situations....... Things from offering different seating arrangements to how to handle discipline issues.... I hate to admit but I still haven't figured out how to effectively handle 5th period besides just getting through that one period every day!!! I've narrowed down the troublemakers to the "core four." It's almost like they ride the carousel (class --> ISS --> class --> ISS). They are just so rowdy and I have fallen into the "BE QUIET" trap..... And it's just being inconsistent as well.... My other 5 classes run pretty smoothly. For the most part, they work hard, stay quiet, and do what's told.... 5th period combines most of the low-ability males and they tend to talk to each other! I'm just surviving but barely....

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 20, 2013

My meeting with my mentor (AP)

She told me that I have been performing very well in teaching and that my content knowledge is excellent. Says my greatest improvement was losing the fear of asking for help when it was needed, especially discipline referrals.

Areas of improvement would be

1.) Classroom management
    2.) Not worrying too much about what others think of me.... Just keep teaching...

I then asked whether there have been parents complaining about me because they would call the AP or P but not actually call me! She said no one has called her and that if anyone does call AND if it is deemed serious, then either she or the P would definitely come talk to me about it. But, so far, no calls, so I guess that is good....

So, in the overall sense, I think administration sees me doing an OK job. :D