Should I really dress up to go subbing? What's Appropriate?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rookieABC123, May 9, 2007.

1. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

May 9, 2007

Hi everyone,
    I am subbing for the first time on Fri. I am not sure how to dress. I think a dress with heels is too much. I know most teachers do not dress up very much. Is it appropriate to wear nice sandles or a nice pair of capris? Or should I dress up in a suit or dress??? I want to make a good impression,hoping to work here full time! Thank you!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

My suggestion is it's better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed.

For me that is a pair of slacks, blouse, and nice looking flats ( you will be glad you wore comy shoes)

Resist the urge to dress down. Remember, you are not part of the staff ..... YET... even if you were that's no excuse, but I think you know what I mean.

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

May 9, 2007

I agree completely with MissFriz.
    I always wear dress pants and a nice blouse, or an ironed collared shirt. Sometimes I've felt as though I were severely overdressed (when the teacher next to me is wearing jeans and a tshirt) BUT I truly believe the kids respect you as an authority figure if you look (and act:D ) the part.

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 10, 2007

If you know the school and its policy there is no reason for you to be over dressed and uncomfortable. I have to say I live in a rural part of Texas and when I was subbing I could wear just about anything I wanted as long as it wasn't rags. I now work at the school and I still wear the same type of clothes. Jeans (pressed) and a nice shirt. Sometimes I wear a tshirt on Fridays. I have capris that I wear also. We have a very relaxed dress code here, but I know some schools dont. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 10, 2007

Like I said. It's all about knowing the school you wil work in. However, I bet if you wore "rags" you wouldn't be teaching there today.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 10, 2007

I agree no rags!! Sorry I was trying to type and talk at the same time. I edited my post to read that I didnt wear rags.

8. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

May 10, 2007

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will definitely look professional tomorrow. Miss Frizzle you're right...I am not a member of the staff. I just didn't want to over do it and stick out like a sore thumb, especially on Fri. when most teacher dress down anyways. Thanks for the help! Wish me luck!!

9. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 10, 2007

As a parent I'd like to say that it distresses me to see teachers dress too casually. High heels are absolutely unnecessary however. They are, for one thing, unhealthy for one's feet. I also remember being very distracted by them when I was going to school in the 60's when spike heels were common. Also, my kindergarten teacher broke her leg when her spike heel got caught in the cuff of a little boy's pants. Little boys wore cuffed jeans in 1962.

10. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 10, 2007

My kindergarten teacher, btw, was a mean old lady whom I disliked. We had a long-term sub for a few months who was so sweet, loving, and encouraging. I was glad my teacher had broker her leg, she was mean and harsh.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 10, 2007

No big deal txmom- I understand. I don't mean to sound like clothing is the only thing. But very often a first impression is based on appearance. So don't go out and buy new stuff. Just appear neat. That's a better way of saying it.

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

May 10, 2007

I think it depends a bit on your age as well.

13. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

May 10, 2007

Yeah, that is a big factor. You don't want to be mistaken for a middle schooler.
    I think it's a shame to teachers that some "professionals" bring us all down by wearing flip flops, low cut tight ratty jeans, and tight tank tops that show cleavage and expose tattoos. Gross! If I were a parent I would put my kid in a different class. No one should be forced to look at that for 7-8 hours a day.
    If you stand out as someone who expects to be taken seriously, there is no harm in that. That said, a dress and heels probably would be a bit much for a Friday.

14. BACI

BACI New Member

May 10, 2007

Dressing up stinks sometimes.

I think it depends on your school. The school I am at has a strict dress code so teachers are expected to do the same. I would wear nice capris with closed toe shoes and a bottom up. I am young so I try and make sure I am dressed more professional than the students.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 10, 2007

I'd suggest matching the tone of the school. When I subbed there were 8 schools in the district, and all of them had a slightly different "tone" to their dress. I dressed to match the style of the school.

For my first visit to each school I opted for dress slacks, sweater/blouse, and flats/small-heel dress shoe. That fit in anyplace.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2007

My school has a very well defined dress code. And, while that technically doesn't fit within the guidelines, it would be close enough not to attract a comment. I think that's probably the way to go.

Besides, sticking out as a "newbie" who looks professional isn't the worst thing in the world. Especially if you're looking to be remembered when looking for a full time job :)

17. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

May 14, 2007

This is what I dress like. Every day.

http://www.silverinterlocution.org/shane.png

As a matter of fact, the only time you will NOT see me go to school without a jacket, dress pants, and tie is when I am substituting for a P.E. class or it's red ribbon day in October. (All of my jackets clash with red.)

A few teachers from different schools levels have said -- jokingly -- that it's against the dress code to dress the way I do. One teacher told me that a white shirt and jeans was his dress code.

I sincerely believe that my appearance has influenced the way I am treated by my students. It's important! Don't worry about overdressing.

Fortunately, I've managed to fool everyone with my shirts, which aren't dress shirts. I'll save up when I work full-time at McDonald's over the summer for a better wardrobe.

18. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

May 15, 2007

friday at my chidlrens school is jean day . all teachers and ast. and staff have to pay a 1.00 to wear jeans. the money goes to the high school for scholar ship for the senior. a few times they sent phone cards to the troops. the rest of the time it is the school dress code.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 18, 2007

Where I sub it is not casual. I follow the teacher's dress code. Jeans are only allowed once a month for a $5 donation to a charity (it changes every month), and I do not participate in that. I usually wear khakis and oxfords (if I have to immediately go to my second job afterward) or dress pants and dressy shoes. Shirts can range from a v-neck to a sweater to a button down, etc...
    Just, if you get pre-K or kindergarten, go to the casual a bi more. Paint on nice clothes isn't any fun! On kindergarten days, I always wear khakis (an older pair that I typically wouldn't wear to school) and a cotton v-neck. Easy to wash and it's not the end of the world if it gets ruined!