Should I read a chapter book aloud?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by meglucy, May 8, 2011.

1. meglucy

meglucy Companion

May 8, 2011

Hi, folks.
    This is my first year teaching kindergarten. I'm looking ahead at these final five weeks of school and would love to read aloud a chapter book to the class, tackling a bit each day.
    I'm leaning toward Charlotte's Web since I read that aloud to my daughter when she was 4 and she loved it. And I love it too.
    What do you think? Can kindergartners handle a chapter book with few pictures? I was thinking I'd photocopy and blow up the drawings that are in the book, I'd have students color them, I'd choose the best version of each picture, and then I'd place them on a music stand next to me as I read (flipping to the next one as I go). I'd mount them on black construction paper (like a frame) beforehand. Does that make sense?

Am I crazy to consider this?
    Thanks.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 8, 2011

A chapter book is a good idea, but Charlotte's Web may be too long. It's also typically read in second grade here. Start with a short book with short chapters and if that goes well work your way up to a longer book.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 8, 2011

Someone recommended the Mercy Watson series for a K read aloud. Have you seen those?

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 8, 2011

I was also going to add that Charlotte's Web is "claimed" by another grade level- so unfortunately younger grade levels cannot use it. If you really have your heart set on it and think you can finish it- then go for it, but first check that it is not a "claimed" book by another grade level. Oh, I like your idea about the pictures- that would make it a keeper for years to come! Good idea

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 8, 2011

I HATE the 'claimed' books mentality that exists on some staffs. Unless there is some literacy initiative which designates specific books for study by specific grade levels, ( which my school doesn't have ), I tend to not be bothered by such stuff.

I agree that Charlottes Web is a bit long for Ks...a Junie B Jones book could be fun. Ivy and Bean is another series...:)

7. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

May 8, 2011

The Mercy Watson series is great. I read all six books to my kinders this year! They are funny, and they have beautiful color illustrations. The kids begged to "read Mercy" every afternoon while we waited for dismissal.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 8, 2011

I am a firm believer in reading aloud to kids above their grade level. It really helps develop their vocabulary and listening comprehension without pictures to rely on. I read probably 6-8 throughout the year. I've read Charlotte's Web in Kinder before-I say go for it!

9. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

May 8, 2011

I read everyday during lunch (we eat in the classroom) to my 1st/2nd graders. We're reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory right now, and they LOVE this time! I think reading to them above their reading level is great, for reasons KinderCowgirl mentioned!

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 8, 2011

Right, I wasn't saying that it shouldn't be read because it's "claimed" but that it may be more appropriate for older grades, like second grade where it is often read.

Although the books are not "claimed" by that level, why, with all the literature that exists, would you do the same book as other teachers? We run into this problem in high school where middle school teachers like to teach the books on the freshman list in their advanced programs. But then the kids just read them again freshman year, since there are only so many books on the list! Fifth grade teachers do the same thing with the 6th grade list. When there is a list, you should stick to the list, or choose above level material that is not on the list to read aloud.

Junie B. Jones could be fun to get them ready for first grade!

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 8, 2011

I agree a read aloud would be great, and your kiddos would definitely love it. I also like the idea of Junie B. Jones because she is hilarious. That's what I read to my kids, and they just have such a ball with her. :)

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 8, 2011

I have read charoltte's web to the kinders, they like it. I absolutely can NOT stand Junie B jones, her lanugage and the ridiculousness of her adventures, just not my cup of tea. I never encouraged my own children to read them either.

13. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

May 8, 2011

I read a chapter book to my kinders. every day (oops 1 chapter a day!) I have read The Magic Tree House books - they love them. I also read Junie B. Jones however I do edit a bit as I read. Also the Ready Freddy series is pretty good.

14. meglucy

meglucy Companion

May 8, 2011

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Charlotte's Web isn't claimed by any other grade level (I completely understand the importance of not overlapping like that and wouldn't consider CW if it was planned for these kiddos later).
    Everyone's suggestions sound wonderful, but I think I'm going to go for it. I really want to end the year on something tender and meaningful. Plus (like others here said) I dug around online today and read about the importance of using read alouds that are beyond the students' actual reading ability to help boost comprehension and vocabulary.
    I'll let y'all know if it's a disaster, though!!
    :)

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2011

My kids really enjoy Magic Treehouse (I just read the first one, because then I think they get weird with the whole spirit/Morgan thing), and Freckle Juice. :)

16. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 10, 2011

I had a student teacher that would read Junie B, but would often stop and ask the students what was wrong with what Junie B just said. It provided many great teachable moments for grammar. :)

17. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 10, 2011

You could also read the Calendar Mysteries - the younger sibling to the A to Z Mystery books. They're good for 1st-2nd grade. I would think they'd be good for a kinder read aloud.

18. meglucy

meglucy Companion

May 14, 2011

Just want to report that the kindergartners are LOVING Charlotte's Web! I'm so glad I decided to read it. They groan whenever I close the book and say, "And we will find out what happens next tomorrow ..." Very cute.

And having the pictures up on the music stand is good, too. It lets them really examine the images while I'm reading the long passages.

19. sweetz9422

sweetz9422 New Member

May 17, 2011

Wizard of Oz

I read the classic Wizard of Oz to my kindergarteners this year and they loved it. As I began to read I thought it might be too long and too much for them, but they really got into it. We read one chapter a day. As a reward for finishing the story, we had a Wizard of Oz movie party and compared the book and movie. My kids were amazed to see all the things they heard about in the book come to life. It was a great experience that I will definitely do again!

20. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 19, 2011

I just found an old copy of the Wizard of Oz and might give that a try. I like your idea on how to celebrate this book.
    My team mate reads the Junie B. Jones books to her class and they love it, but she also edits as she reads.

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 24, 2011

Who cares if another class has it?! Don't you watch reruns on television!? ;)

Also, chapter book reads are a great time for students to "make a movie". I tell my kids I don't show them pictures during these stories, I want them to see it in their brain! This is something adults automatically do, but children need to experience this!:) Good luck and have fun!:):):)

22. meglucy

meglucy Companion

May 26, 2011

Just have to update again. We're about 2/3 through Charlotte's Web and the kids beg me to keep reading every time we have to stop (I usually read a chapter/day). The LOVE it. They see me start to close the book and they say, "No! No! No! Don't stop!!!" It's the cutest thing ever.

23. ThinkAloud

ThinkAloud New Member

Jun 6, 2011

IMO, allowing kids to hear what is being read is the pivotal part to their learning process. My thoughts are when a child is born they learn to speak first with reading. Thus the next step would be to relate what they are saying. This improves memory skills also. The same applied to reading books to children. :thumb:

ThinkAloud
    Android App to help kids learn the alphabet
    //market.android.com/details?id=com.rushhour.android.letters