Should I quit

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rrhelpplease, Jan 3, 2009.

1. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I have posted alot before I am a leave replacement resource room teacher for first grade. I want to do a good job so bad but have not been able to plan a thing and I have been there a month.

Can anyone tell me what to do with my students. I do not want the easy why out but I am not sleeping and have seen a doctor who said I was OCD and that is the reason I cannot plan but I am not sure. I feel like a fraud and am so scared to go back to work.

It took me so long to get here and now I am failing apart :( If anyone out there can help please do

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

I'm not sure I understand why you haven't been able to plan a thing...Did the teacher on leave provide you with some plans to get started? Do you have access to assessments so you know 'where these kids are' academically? Do you have grade level colleagues with whom you can plan? Curriculum guides? Teacher guides?

I know this is a lot of questions but we need more in order to help you...

I'm concerned about your stress level, not sleeping and fear of returning to work...no job is worth all that...If you quit though, you will be 'burning a bridge'...are you sure you want to be a teacher? :hugs:

Just read on another of your posts that you are on meds for depression...now I'm really concerned...
    How can we help you?

4. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

It all started with the teacher not leaving plans and my inability to plan anything meaningful for my students. I do Wilson with some of my kids and that I am ok with. The math program is new (Envisions) and it is geared for higher level students.It seems to me my kids do not even have the basics down.

The IEP goals are wh questions and attending. For Monday I planned a guided reading lesson for one of my groups but for the rest of the week I am not sure what to do with the students. The are in first grade this should be easy but for some reason I just cannot plan a thing is it possible I forgot how to teach?

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

Have you ever heard of News-2-You? It's a great modified current events curriculum. The supplemental activities include all of the basic math skills such as telling time, counting, addition, patterns, etc. - these are all things that would be under the state standards for first grade. There are also cooking lessons and activities included. Perhaps this could be something you could look into. Do you have a budget? It's pretty cheap, I think $125 for a year. It is worth every penny. I use almost all of the activities for all of our curriculum areas.

It's great because there are activities for every level (if you have a really low kid and a really high kid).

Basically, the lessons are already planned for you - you could just look through the supplemental activities and plan what you will do each day. They are real fun - and my kids love them.

They look forward to their "story" at the beginning of each week.

I know that Resource Room teachers are also supposed to modify the current grade level plans. Is this something you could do? Could you collaborate with the grade level teachers to see what they are teaching in their classrooms, and then come up with a way to modify it for your students?

Good luck!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

How about some math games to help develop number sense?

Guided reading lessons, work on fluency and comprehension...

7. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

Talk to your parapros, other Special Ed teachers, go back to the school you got your certification in and talk to your professors about resources. They should be able to help. What you need is resources, and you'll find them, don't panic. It looks like you were thrown into this without much support. Demand it!

8. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Jan 10, 2009

I think this might have more to do with your OCD defeating you than with your teaching issues. All of the above advice is great, but if you and your doctor agree that the cause is medical, you need to handle that area of things too! Make sure you are looking at OCD medication. I wouldn't think about quiting teaching, at this stage, because if the problem is medical, it will impact you at any job.

My mom has issues with OCD and people that she worked with suggested that it was related to her being overwelmed at work, when the truth was, it just took awhile to get on the right meds. Once she was on them, she was fine and she staid at the same job for years. I'm not saying meds are the whole answer, but if the problem is a chemical imbalance, that might be a good place to start.

I really like the "Visualization and Verbalization" Book by Nancy Bell and Lucy Caulkins reading program. Math U See I don't like, but it's cheap and does have very explicit lessons. Maybe some of these will help you?

9. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

Thank you Kate that makes me feel so much better I was worried that teaching what I always wanted was over for me. Your mom story really makes me feel like there is hope for me :)

10. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Jan 10, 2009

No problem. There were a couple of things other than meds that really helpped my mom. She started getting regular cardiovascular exercise, which gave her happy, relaxed endorphins and seemed to help with the meds. (This was huge). And she convinced my dad and I to encourage her to do this even when she didn't want to. I'm not saying become a marathon runner, but when she started to kind of lose control a little, she would go for a long walk with one of us. The other thing that helpped her was having a close girl friend that she went for tea with once a month. They never talked about her issues, I think my mom was afraid to, but it was this nice break from everything for her. It made her feel normal. I think we all need that sometimes. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you!

11. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

rrhelpplease,

What specific behaviors do you adhere to that prevents you from planning? You say that you have OCD issues, what kinds of "routines" are interferring with your planning of the classroom?
    I have been diagnosed with AS (Asperger's Syndrome) and in the start people thought that I was just severe OCD as well, but I didn't take meds to control the behaviors. I would try to get a complete diagnosis and understanding of your "behaviors" before you assume that it is only OCD.
    People with OCD like organization which is fantastic when you work with students with limitations and it's a great way to help these kids too. They like structure like we do as well.
    Do you like to keep frequently busy all day long as well? I would schedule time to work on planning so that you can get the students' activities started as well. Many new teachers of special education are expected to run a classroom without proper support. I wish there were more teachers out there seeking help, I have to time to help others now. I don't have to worry about my current classroom because of their limitations. I have extra time to help other teachers which I love the most. When I eventually retire, I want to become an organization and decluttering expert for all teachers especially special education.

aspieteacher

12. crockett1

crockett1 New Member

Feb 17, 2009

Relax. Get to know the kids and enjoy! The plans will come as you get to know each child and what they need to learn as well as how they learn best. You will be fine.

13. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

How's it going? I felt like a fraud when I first started too and I had no resources at my school. I was the first spec ed teacher at my catholic school. I used abcteach.com, I talked to my friend who has been in spec ed for a few years, I talked to my univ supervisor, I researched a lot on the internet. readinga-z.com saved me!

14. rrhelpplease

rrhelpplease Rookie

Feb 19, 2009

It is going a little better I still feel like a fraud though. I just got reading atoz so that is planned for me already. Everyone at work says to relax I am good at what I do but I just dont know about that my students are not doing well in the gen classrooms even with my preteaching and reteaching

15. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

It is so interesting to hear you use the term "fraud" to describe how you feel as a professional, because it is exactly how I have felt at times. I think that what it really is though, is that we are expected to be all things to all people, and anyone who tries to be that will end up a "fraud". No one can do it all alone.

Some quality professional development helps me when I feel this way, but it is all on my own time and money......

I hope you can develop a planning system and find peace and enjoy teaching.

L.