Should I quit?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by 773 Miles Away, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

I'm really looking for some honest advice because I'm going through a difficult time right now in my teaching job. Here's a breakdown of what is going on ... any input would be greatly appreciated.

First year 5th grade teacher in a large urban city
    Just wrapped up 3 weeks of teaching
    My class is HORRIBLE - behavior is out of control, angry students, disruptive students, challenged students, ...
    I am having trouble with the very basics... can't get them to quiet down.. can't get them to line up in a decent way.. can't get through a lesson.
    I've read Henry Wong and other books.. I spent 2 solid days doing nothing but procedures and I've been continually teaching them every day to no avail.
    All in all I go home and cry almost every night.. I am swamped with work that i can never catch up on.. and there are still a million things about the school I work for that I don't know yet because there was no SCHOOL orientation (no tour, no explanation of the policies/procedures, no nothing).. there was a city orientation, but it did not help me at all in terms of what my specific school was about.
    And my mentor doesn't even work at my school.. she's simply a mentor who used to teach in my district so she can't help me with specific school questions/concerns

All in all I have never been this depressed... this stressed... this exhausted... this overwhelmed.. ever in my life.

So now i'm questioning my whole career. I can not stomach the idea of going to work on Monday and I'm ready to go crawling back to my old secretary job from before.

I understand that this might be a difficult group of kids and then in years to come I could have kids that are great. But I also realize that there's always the chance to get another difficult group of kids years down the road. And then deal with this again? Why would I want to take that chance of maybe getting a difficult group.. and maybe not?

Is it possible to say that after years of teaching experience under my belt I will no longer have a stressful class such as this. In other words, can an excellent teacher reform any disruptive class? Or do your years in teacher always come with the occassional stress year?

I'm wondering if I should change careers... if i go back to my secretary position then I can apply for jobs without mentioning my teaching job.. because on my resume it will look like I never quit.

i dont know what to do

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2007

I know you feel overwhelmed and exhausted but I don't know a first year teacher who hasn't felt that way. It does get better.

Can we promise you it will not happen when you are more experienced? No - what we can tell you is this year will make you a stronger, better teacher and you will almost certainly have less problems because you will know how to handle it.

You are experiencing what I feel is one of the huge weaknesses of our educational system - inexperienced teachers sent to the most challenging schools without the support, mentoring, and resources they need. It is unacceptable that this goes on year after year and we keep whining about the achievement gap!

Spend more time on planning and less time on grading if you have too much work. Some work you can have peers grade and then just check that they have done it or you can look quickly rather than grading every single thing. Use all the resources the school has to offer. Schedule a meeting with the principal to get the orientation you need.

Teaching is not for everybody but don't give up on it too quickly. These kids are fortunate to have someone like you who cares. You can do it! Keep asking questions. Try new things and give them enough time to work. A lot of teachers jump from one thing to another thinking what they are doing isn't working but they need to give it more time.

Good luck.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

You should do what you feel is best for you. :love:

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2007

Is it possible to seek out a mentor in your school? Please look around you and choose someone to confide in. Teachers who have experienced your school population longer than you have will have some pointers. It sounds like you need to regain control. I remember a really bad year (in a rural setting) and I found that I had to just back off of my lesson plans in order to get the classroom management under control. We feel pressured to get through the lesson for a variety of reasons but if we just plow through the lesson while nobody's listening, does it really count anyway? Slow down, take control, and make them stop and listen. But please find someone across the hall to talk to, paid mentor or not. Surely there is a sympathetic ear somewhere.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2007

The other posters have some great advice. I would continue going over the rules and procedures until I knew they got them. Sometimes you have to put lessons on the backburner for a time if the classroom management isn't in place. The first year you are dealing with a being in a totally new atmosphere. It's strange that you didn't have a new teacher orientation. I know every district that I have worked for has had at least a 3 day orientation for new hires. I would definitely start petitioning for one for future teachers coming to the school. If the school didn't supply you with a mentor that is at the school, I would seek out a grade level co-worker that you feel comfortable talking with. They should have some good advice on some things that you can try. You are going to have good years and then there are going to be tough years. Get this first year under your belt and then at the end of the year re-evaluate where you stand. These kiddos, no matter how bad they are, depend on you for their education. Leaving in the middle of the year will show them that you weren't committeed to teaching them or that you cared enough to stay (though I'm sure that you care about their education).

But then, you have to do what's right for your health, both mentally and physically. I wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

I respectfully disagree with small town gal that leaving will show the kids you don't care about them.

How come it's ok for teachers to take abuse and be unable to do their job? We are just supposed to sit by and say, " well they are kids, let's excuse this bad behavior because they have a rough family life, or it's a low income area, or thousands of other things that are said to rationalize the situation.

The truth is, the largest part of teaching is managing behavior. More support is needed for teachers in terms of backing them up.

8. HillTeacher

HillTeacher Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I understand exactly how you feel. I am thinking about quitting teaching too. This is my second year at a large overcrowded high school in NYC and frankly I just don't want to be there. I don't feel like dealing with the students. I'm not sure if it's me that's the problem, but frankly I don't think it matters much, because even if it is I don't feel like being in a job that I hate doing. Life is too short you know? I stuck it out my first year, but now I have nothing to prove. The only advice I have to give you would be to try another school. Frankly, my school is pretty bad, so if you can, try to get into another school just to see if its the school and not the career. Goodluck.

9. firstgrade

firstgrade Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I was in the same position as you three weeks ago, and I ended up resigning from the school. I am a first year teacher and was SO HAPPY when I was hired at a new charter school. The school had a great vision, but they failed to provide an education environment necessary for an effective elementary school. We had absolutely no curriculum, even though our charted stated what curriculum we used in all areas. There was absolutely no structure in the school (outside of the teachers' classrooms) and we were working with an urban population that needed to have this structure in their lives. Allow we were promised a Special Education teacher, phy. ed. teacher, art teacher, and paraprofessionals, none were hired. Before the school offered before/after school care, the teachers had students in their rooms from 7am-5:30pm. They had not hired anyone to teach the before/after school care. I can get in to so much more, but I will spare you all the details.

Basically, it was a train wreck and I felt completely overwhelmed. I had no support and no resources in the classroom, and being a first year teacher I was completely unprepared for this. I tried my best each day, but after talking with the administration and feeling completely hopeless that things were going to change, I resigned, along with 4 of the 6 teachers that started with the school. It was SUCH a difficult decision, because I felt extremely fortunate to have a job, but I was so afraid that I would lose my love of teaching without having the support and resources from my administration. I spent a lot of time talking with my family (who are all teachers and extremely involved in education) and we all agreed it was the right decision.

I can't tell you what to do, but I wanted to share my story with you, because you are not alone! Being put into a position as you have can make you feel like you are in competant teacher, but I am sure you will be a great teacher when you have the support that you need! I wish you the best of luck, and keep your chin up!

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

I left the city and never looked back.... I understand. Jobs out here are hard to come by... not that there aren't the same exact problems, but there is a huge difference.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

AMEN to that Friz!

I found my self-worth...in Worth,IL. I subbed for two days, and I thought I had completely left the planet. Big difference!

an old tourism jingle states...
    just outside of Chicago...there is a place called Illinois.

12. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

The answer is NO! All first year teachers feel overwhelmed. It gets better every year. You should look at this class as the reason you started teaching, to help students become better students and citizens. You are guaranteed to get more classes like this in the future and you should look foreward to working with them. Every year you will develop better and more effective strategies for running your classroom.

I would suggest that you find some teachers(preferably in your grade level) to collaborate with on a daily basis. Working with teachers daily in collaboration greatly reduces the stress of lesson planning and really makes the lessons better. You will also be exposed to different ways of teaching and different styles of management.

I would also suggest trying to make class fun. By this I mean have a class reward if they have a good week with behaviour. I have a chart that has categories such as talking without raising your hand, transition time, working ahead, wasting time...etc I then place a mark under each one when they are not behaving properly. If as a class we have less than 25 marks in a week we have some kind of reward that Friday. For example, I sometimes let the students bring in games(gameboys...etc) from home and I supply popcorn we have a free game hour, sometimes we watch a fun movie, somtimes we go outside to play kickball...etc. This has really helped me to get the class to work together on behaviour as a class. If several students are getting all the marks for the rest of the class I make a seperate chart for those students, so the class gets the reward and the 3 or so causing all the problems for the week get to go to another class and work while we have fun. After a while that gets OLD for the students missing the fun and they usually come round.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

See.... Make class fun! Because everything in life is all about fun. My kids trashed my room, couldn't read, but wrote nice letters complete with profanity ( all spelled correctly, I may add) came to school with box cutters and knives.... and told me they didn't want " no reward".....

Collaborative planning was a joke. The teachers in the other rooms all had the same problems.. and couldn't be bothered.

Kids who are disruptive need to be dealt with. Not given a sticker.

Maybe if administration stuck to their guns and actually enforced the issue... there would be less problems. For now, the kids know the teachers can't do anything.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

Miles...IMO...you need a mental health day. I say that with all kindness and respect. anytime you feel overwhelmed and depressed, a break is needed...regardless of the type of work you are doing.

Taking a day or two off will give you some much needed rest, and time to think. naturally, with time, your decisions will become clearer.

I have been in your shoes. After starting a new job and not getting paid...I am really having some nightmares! you have a good point about your resume. you want the best opportunities. you don't want potential employers to make a road map out of your resume with a red marker.

take some time to evaluate your options. you owe it to yourself to have peace of mind. it is very possible that you could start sending out resumes, and give two weeks notice, and have something before Christmas. Many schools are accustomed to having staff changes in the the second semster. That's why we have long term subs!!

that would be my advice. do not lose your mind in the process of doing what is right. do what makes you feel most comfortable. you may want this job as a reference. the principal may have a less stressful, reading teacher position opening, or a neighboring school may need a classroom teacher in a primary grade. the point is, there are options, but you must act quickly and make your needs known. you have no idea what is going on your district. people go on medical leave, get transferred, or want to leave ...just like you.

if you are not happy, you need to let your principal know. he/she may be aware of this already, and it is better to have them help you out, before he gives possibly gives you a bad evaluation!

take care...

stay home tomorrow-then plan a meeting with your principal and share your concerns...

15. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2007

I want to stress that you need to do what's best for you!! Take MPK's advice, take a mental health day or two to really think about your options, why you got into teaching, can you stick it out and still keep your sanity? If not, then maybe put your resume out there again and see if you can pull something from a more desired district before Christmas. I'm not staying stay in, just to stay if your heart, mind really isn't in it.

16. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Not everything in life is fun, but that doesn't mean that school can't be. Find a way to engage the students and make the learning meaningful and enjoyable and those issues dissappear. Kids are not going to want the rewards at first but after time some kids WILL begin to enjoy some rewards for behaviour. I know it's easier said than done, BUT THAT IS HOW IT WORKS. Try having an afterschool program with your class or before class, those students who start to attend very rarely continue to be behaviour problems. I never said give students stickers, I said make something enjoyable that THEY want to do, let them choose the activity for the reward.

If they can't read how did they write all those horrible letters. And they spelled them right? Sounds like you have somewhere to start.

Other teachers don't have time to collaborate because they have the same problems? Exactly the reason they need to collaborate. And how exactly did you want disruptive students "dealt with"? They are used to that attitude already and it won't work. They expect to be dealt with, thats probably what they get after school and it won't work.

17. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

Some schools are places for learning and some are holding pens where teachers babysit and try to keep the kisd from hurting each other. I have been in the latter.

Teach routines? Impossible. The admins sent up the "security guard" to tell me to put work in front of the kids when I spent time working on lining up in an orderly fashion. Rewards? What good do special trips for good behavior do when the kids who DON'T earn the are not left back at school because nobody wants to deal with them? A school that scrapped the curriculum we received training in two days before school started? A school that promised PE, specials, planning periods and never got them? A school that told me not to bother teaching my kids, just give them worksheet packets all day? My "lunch/planning" was with the 6-8th grade teachers (I taught first). Yes, my little ones ate with 12-16 year olds. Older kids were allowed to leave their classrooms to "help" in younger rooms. There was one teacher for each grade, and all were first years. The "mentor" teacher was the teacher who was released from the 5th grade position due to borderline abuse of her students.We went through at least 6 teachers in the middle school grades by February. The original 2ed and 3ed grade teachers quit after a week. The second week, the new third grade teacher was stabbed with a pencil and the kindergarter teacher's car was stolen. By Easter, the Kinder teacher was "let go", and she believes it is because she refused to falsify paperwork. Then the school had caused problems with her getting her 5year license due to claiming she had never been part of an entry year program (after she had PASSED her PRAXIS III).

I could go on and on but most of it is probably on this board somehwhere, and frankly, thinking about it depresses me. I left this school in February of that year.

I am not saying this is the position the OP is in, because there isn't enough there for me to compare. But to tell a person she shouldn't quit, she should try harder, not give up, the kids will feel abandoned, when we don't KNOW how bad her situation is, isn't fair. She needs to consider her own well-being, how her time is being used, etc, just as I did. It was better for me to leave. In retrospect, I should have seen the red flags and not accepted the position. (A ten-minute phone interview in which I was basically asked where and what I had student taught; the curriculum issue; the change in a few staff members before the year even began in addition the things I found out as the year progressed)

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

Space Angel- If I didn't know better, I think we taught in the same school.

On another note.........

Sorry, I couldn't be Ron Clark, but after being harassed and discriminated against.... I decided it was in my best interest to leave.

Until you've walked in my shoes, please don't tell me I need to make my lessons more meaningful and start an after school program for future gang members, remember - you werent' the one physically assaulted on school property. My job was/is to teach- not babysit.

It's not Mr. Rogers neighborhood out there.

I can't contribute any more - this is a highly sensitive subject for me. One that no one could truly understand unless they were in my shoes.

19. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

Sounds like a lot of us are/have been wearing the same shoes.

20. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

WOW, It is depressing listening to how some teachers deal with situations. Now I am becoming frustrated. You actually work at a school that offers special trips for kids that behave good(and then takes the misbehaving ones) that must be nice. However, you can solve that problem by making the activities yourself and NOT letting those who misbehave participate...it's your class. You don't need your school to promise PE...take them out to PE yourself. Planning periods your lucky to get them in elementary school, but you can meet everyday after school with other teachers to plan. Why do you care if administration tells you not to teach your kids...thats up to YOU, its your room.
    Sorry people but if you look for the negativity there will always be plenty...change jobs or find a better way. If you want to work with the perfect kids, fully prepared, with 100% parental support I suggest Corona Del Mar in CA, every parent at the school donates 2,000$ a year to the parent club. The students in 5th grade enter with a 7th grade education, the parents will pay 50$ an hour for YOU to tutor them after school, wow now that sounds like a challenge.

21. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Listen to what and how you say things. Who is truly better off, you or the student?
    You have given your students NO chance. I did not tell you what to do, I gave suggestions. You did however make the best decision.

22. JRR

JRR Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I don't know what to say...I am so sorry you are going through this. I can't even imagine. Can you move to a small town outside of where you live? Or maybe a private school with smaller classes?

Really think about what you think is best...this may or may not be the place for you. Before quiting teaching altogether maybe try a different school. If that doesn't work than maybe this just isn't your thing.

I'll be thinking about you!!! :wub:

23. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 22, 2007

My first two years of teaching were terrible. (Similar situation to yours it seems, 4th grade inner city school.) I was pretty convinced that I was a bad teacher, and I should leave the profession and go back to my old job (which I hated even more!) I think you need to get through this year at least. It is only the first few weeks. Get to know who your students are. Make personal connections with them. Forget the curriculum for a bit, because until they trust you, know you, respect you and are listening, the curriculum is down the drain anyway.

I am grateful now to my experience in the inner city. It showed me that I have strength and that I can handle those tough situations. I think if you trust yourself, take care of yourself and keep your head up. Find ways to make sure you are taking time to care for yourself during this year.

24. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

I need to leave this conversation because it is too upsetting for me. I stuck it out for six months. Do you know how many parents came to conferences? NONE. Do you know how the administration talked to the teachers? Like we were children. I was actually told IN FRONT OF MY STUDENTS that the 8th graders could control my students better. There were a total of two restrooms (one boys, one girls) in the entire building. In Ohio, planning periods are the norm. They did try to bring in outside groups (museums, etc) but those groups refused to return. My kids responded to nothing I tried. I went in there everyday optimistic. Everyday I wanted to cry when I left. I accomplished NOTHING and it is NOT from lack of trying. That "school" would have me believe it was all fault, as apparantly so would you.

Well, guess what?? IT ISN'T!!!! I CAN be a good teacher in an environment conducive to learning. That was NOT it. The sad thing is, they can handle the turnover of teachers because Ohio is such a poor job market. Hire the young teachers fresh out of school, desperate and eager for a job, give them no support, and when they breakdown, hire a new one. What do they care?

Did you read the part about wanting teachers to falsify records? Did you read where I TRIED to practice and enforce routines, and the security guard came up and told me to put paper in front of them? Those kids stole my Smarties, tore down my sticker charts, stole my marbles, and countless other things. Do a search on my posts. Better yet, don't. I know what happened. I don't need to reargue it. I am happy where I am now, even though it isn't "exactly" what I have always dreamed of doing. Someday my chance will come and I will blow everyone away with what I accomplish.

I am so glad other people here, my friends, my family, the teacher I student taught with supported me through my trials. That is part of why I want to do it for others. And truly, it isn't fair to derail this thread from the original purpose. If all you have to offer the OP is reasons why what they are doing/considering is so wrong, and they should be ashamed of themselves for thinking it, perhaps you shouldn't contribute.

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

Marc,

I did give my students plenty of chances...... and what did I get for it? well, I got called a white b%$#$ and attacked after school outside the building. That will change your perspective.

26. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2007

I don't think that is what the posters are trying to do at all. No, we might not know exactly what she is going through. We can just base our response to the information that she provided. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. From what I have read in this post and other of your posts, I don't think I would have made it as long as you did! So I applaud you for that. The situation that you were put in was not a great one at all and I don't see how this school is still functioning if admin is doing all that, especially having teachers falsify information.

I would never want to put shame on another person for leaving in the middle of the year, because I did it too after a rough situation.

27. smalltowngal

Sep 22, 2007

Wow, MissFrizzle, I knew that you had had a bad experience your first year, but I never knew it went to that extent. I'm glad that you decided to stay in the teaching field though after having to endure that!! :angel:

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2007

Thanks. I put my resignation in that day!

29. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

I would like to say that most of the people on this thread have been supportive and offered good advice...give yourselves a pat! I probably shouldn't let myself get all worked up over one or two posters, but there you have it. I have been up since 3:20 and have to do that again tomorrow, so maybe I am just overtired and cranky...

30. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I believe this will be my last post as well. I do not want to be part of forums that are cry sessions. Teaching is hard. I gave some suggestions. Your class room is your classroom I dont know why you care what the security guard told you. I thought people in these forums were looking for suggestions and ideas, not cry sessions and acknowkledgements that it is ok to leave a school. If you feel your life is threatened by students with knives, you have an education, you don't need anyone to tell you its ok to leave.I started teaching because I liked the challenges. I don't care how many parents show up to conferences, I just care about the students who show up to class. Yes thats cliche, I know. But its true too. My job is to teach and at times trick the students into enjoying learning and you know what it works.
    BYE

31. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 22, 2007

I would like to politely disagree with your idea on how to make the class "fun" by means of your classroom rewards system. If you reward the class for getting less than 25 checks in a week it is sending the students a very bad message. The message that is sent is that you can disrespect your teacher up to 24 times and still get rewarded for it! :2cents:

32. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Sep 22, 2007

i know there are a lot of posts on here already...but i thought i'd throw my ten cents in too! i taught for one year in a school that should have done me in-but it didn't! i had a class of first graders that could not behave themselves to save their lives (tantruming, stealing, fighting, you name it)...and i was expected to teach them all these things! i wanted to quit so badly but i stuck it out....and now am so happy that i did. i was (luckily) able to get on at another school after this horrific :( year, and am now known as one of the best teachers in my building. i feel that a large part of this has to do w/my experience in this awful school. i swear if i learned nothing else that year, it was how to manage children...and that's SO IMPORTANT in teaching!

i would say as awful as it gets, stick it out. do whatever it takes to survive-leave right after school, get your plans done by friday (weekends off), and do not worry if you have to throw papers away (we all do it!!) or anything like that. feel free to p/m me, too, if you ever need to just vent...i understand! hang in there!

-meri

33. HillTeacher

HillTeacher Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I don't understand why anyone on this thread would be anything but supportive. I mean, it's not like anyone here can actually know whats going on for the poster except for the fact that he/she is thinking about quitting. Frankly, its a little ridiculous, and just further reinforces my opinion some people need to be a lot kinder and a lot less self absorbed. My advice to the original poster is do what you feel is right. I hated my first year, but it felt right to stick it out. This year it feels right to move on. Ultimately you really do need to get some satisfaction from your job and not be miserable. Good luck!

34. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2007

I don't have any advice to offer except that I have been in a similar situation and even though I don't teach this year in the same situation, I have been in tears feeling totally skeptical of my teaching ability etc.
    I agree that YOU need to do what YOU need to do!!
    Take some time and do some soul searching.
    Best of luck! Everything happens for a reason!!!!

35. firstgrade

firstgrade Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Well said SpaceAngel!! I left my school because they failed to provide an educational environment necessary for an effective elementary school. It was an unhealthy atmosphere for the students as well as the teachers, and in this atmosphere I could not be a good teacher. Had I stayed in that environment I believe that I would have lost my love for teaching. Frankly, I am too good of a teacher to burn out after a few years and never return to teaching!

We can all have our own opinions, but I would hope that nobody would place judgements about my decisions, or others decisions that have been posted here. Let's remember: Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2007

ooh...I thougth I was the only one with a trunk full of ungraded homework :unsure:

that was my third grade Catholic school nightmare...

37. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2007

I saw a similiar incident in a post on commitment in the field. We are considered bad people because we are leaving the children. :confused: I think there is a fine line between being committed to work, and being committed!

That being said, any time you have given your all, and it does not work, you owe it to yourself to find something better.

Despite the naysayers...kids are just that, kids...young people who are resilent, and will grow despite what we are able to do or not do.

WE on the other hand, are at the prime of our lives...we do not bounce back. Therefore, IMO...we should not force ourselves to make something work...for the sake of the children, if it ruins our health in the process!

that's my :2cents:

Now I have to explain to unemployment that I left a job because they won't pay me, and I left a job before that because I hurt my back lifting cots. These bureaucratic bean counters want to know why I did not stay more than 4 weeks on the last job! :crosseyed

How many times can I say this!!! They did not pay me!

Guess there's somebody out there who would say, "You should stay for the good of the children, they need you."

Yes, but will the children pay my mortgage and my car payment??

common sense over rules common good!

38. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2007

I agree MPK! In your situation, it was your livelyhood at stake. I would NEVER suggest someone stay at their job if it meant that their health suffered! And in your situation, a lot than health would have suffered if you continued to work and didn't get paid.

Maybe I was wrong in saying that the kiddos would see her leaving as walking out on her students. I didn't mean to suggest that that should be the only reason she stay if her health would have suffered from staying.

Miles, please let us know what you decide. There will be no judging one way or the other. I think if we haven't been in your situation, then we can empathize with what you might be going through.

39. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Sep 24, 2007

WOW!!! but it surprise me.. I grew up in a low income area and I know a few of my friends who purposely did things just to bother teachers,
    MissFrizzle :hugs: im sorry you went through that.. People from other areas dont understand how bad students can be and no matter how much you explain, they wont get it!!! :blush: :sorry: and it has no reflection on what type of teacher you are....
    my point you can talk till your blue in the face they just won't understand!!! :sorry::sorry: again as a part of a group of difficult students :sorry::sorry::sorry:

40. smalltowngal

Sep 24, 2007

MsZ, I understand!! I have never worked in an area such as MissFrizzle has so I can't honestly know exactly what that's like. I can't imagine being attacked by students at the school where I taught. Every school no matter what area they're in are going to have their share of behavior problems, but some schools are going to have them at more extremes than others.

41. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2007

Ms. Z,

Thank you for at least validating my story. I'm not proud that I left, but I really had no other choice. I have stopped trying to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders- as I used to before. I still put my heart and soul into doing a good job, but I no longer feel guilty for things I have no control over anymore.

To the OP, if you choose to leave- recharge and reflect. If you choose to stay- put yourself first. You cannot be the one to save every student. Do your best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.