Should I quit? Please help.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by *fountainhead, Nov 22, 2006.

?

Should I take the medical sales job? (What advice would you give to a good friend)

Poll closed Dec 2, 2006.
  1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. *fountainhead

*fountainhead New Member

Nov 22, 2006

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am a male third grade teacher and this is my third year of teaching. I am teaching at a Catholic school - it is my second year here.

As you likely know the days are often emotionally exhausting. When I go home I really don't want to hear any kid's voices and I have three of my own at home (ages 4.5, 3, 14 months). I left a career in medical sales after our first baby was born to allow me to be home more. (My wife is a pediatrician). I have a big role at home and pick 2 of our kids up at my lunch time at their Montessori school daily to drive them home

At home we have someone who comes into our house to take care of our kids during the day. I make $26,000 per year - We pay her approx $20,000. My job is doing very little to contribute to the family finances.

I know that education really isn't a great fit for me. I don't like the summers off I know many of you are now totally shocked!. I feel that I am totally underpaid (of course we all do) and in a large part feel like the ammount of money I make speaks to my value to my family and my self-perception. I miss the movement and variety that my sales job offered. Last summer I sent my resume to my former employer - medical company (Roche). This is the job I had before promoting Accu-Chek glucose meters. BTW - I have type 1 diabetes. Salary/Compensation would be $80,000 plus company car and matching 401K. But the job would start Jan 1 and would have me leaving mid year. The thought of doing that nearly makes me physically ill. I know though that if I pass this up it will be very difficult to reenter the medical sales field. To add even more complexity to this situation we are members of the parish here and we want our kids to attend this school. What should I do?? In my opinion we are on this earth to serve others. I feel if I do this I would be happier but I feel that I would serve as a bad example to my class. Please help me.

Conflicted

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Nov 22, 2006

Wow...That's a very hard decision to make. All I can say is follow your heart. If you're truely not happy in teaching, then it will begin to show in the classroom....Your students will see that you aren't happy and in turn you probably won't be teaching to your best ability...In the long run it could hurt youself and the students. Good luck making your decision.....Make yourself happy.....and your family as well! You 5 come first....

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2006

I agree with kburn. Think it through long and hard. Life is short and only happens once so follow your heart and do what you really want to do. You stated that your present job contributes very little to the family income...it shouldn't matter if you are truly happy in your job, however you are not. It does not sound like your family is in a difficult financial situation, so once again think about what will make you happy in a long run, what is best for your family.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2006

You answered your own question. Take the sales job. There are more pros in it for you than cons. If your heart is not in teaching it will get harder to do your job well. There is nothing to feel bad about .... you have to do what is right for you and your family. I hope you take the sales job.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2006

You have to live with yourself. I think you should work where you can be satisfied unless it would be a detriment to your family. If you can make a plan with your wife that would make the transition work for the children, I say go for it.

The school has dealt with personnel challenges before and will do so again. I'm sure they won't hold it against your own children. Yes, the class will be shocked, but they will adjust. I only say this because you seem fully sure of your feelings that teaching is not for you. There really is no other reason to be teaching if it isn't a calling. Good luck with your decision. Your first obligation is to yourself so you can bring the most to you family.

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Nov 22, 2006

Life is too short to work in a career you hate. It will take a toll on your physical and mental well-being. Go for the job that brings you joy.

8. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Nov 22, 2006

Absolutely take the job. I would just explain to the school and to your class that you are doing what you need to do for your family. You don't need to, and shouldn't, explain any further than that.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 22, 2006

Go for the job change.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 22, 2006

You should definitely take the medical sales job. I had the same dilemma, only backwards. I left an advertising career and took a HUGE paycut to go back to teaching. (I had been out of the teaching profession for 21 years.) Life is too short to stay in a career that is not making you happy. Go for it, and good luck!!

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2006

I agree with the others. If that is what your heart says, go for it!

12. opus

opus New Member

Nov 22, 2006

It's a No Brainer...

If your goal is to serve others then it's really a no brainer. You could save half of your salary and still be $14K ahead, After ten years you would have $400K saved up. There are a lot of things you could do to serve others with $400K ! Assuming you plan to live a healthy life for at least another 20 years, your resources would probably be better utilized with the Roche job. On the other hand, medical sales will probably drain you more than teaching, and with a doctor in the family you probably have more options than just sales and teaching :)

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 22, 2006

You should go with what your heart is telling you. In fact, if you have someone (nanny) at your house during the day, then you should be able to take the job that you feel is better for you.

You could talk to the religious people who are running the school and speak to them about how you are feeling and tell them that you need to do what your heart really desires regardless if you send your children to the school or not. We all make life changes.

Like, we are all saying, LIFE IS TOO SHORT!! We need to enjoy our life on Earth. Good luck!!

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2006

fountainhead, I couldn't imagine working for $26K per year. I retired from the corporate world years ago. I was very well compensated. Only last year I decided to try substitute teaching. I did it for the experience, definitely not for the money. I honestly don't know how teachers in general work for such low pay. Even after being retired for a decade I could do consulting work which would pay in one hour more than what I make per day as a substitute (actually a lot more!))

If you think you can SELL go for it! But just know the particular field you are looking at is very tough!!!

Best of luck
    Major Hunt

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 22, 2006

I would have to agree with the others and tell you to go with your heart. It sounds as though you are not happy where you are at now and would be much happier with the change. However, I can understand your dilemma (sp?) with your kids going to that school. That might put a strain on the situation a bit. Go with your heart and do what you feel is the right thing. People will get over it but you have to look out for number one and your family. Good luck to you!:angel:

16. herins

herins Companion

Nov 25, 2006

This is what answered the question for me. If your job is draining you enough to affect your family, it's not working. If the parish and school can't understand that the decision is to make your life more family-centred, then your children might be better off at another school anyway! Good luck with your decision!

17. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

I agree with the advice here. You know your needs better than anyone. When you say education is not a good fit for you, you have reasons for that. Add +1 to the 'follow your heart' advice.:love:

18. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Nov 27, 2006

I agree w/ the others. If your job affects you so much that you don't want to hear your children's voices at night, you NEED to change.

19. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Nov 27, 2006

Hello,
    I also think you should do what you feel is best for you. Remember that if you do quit in the middle of the year though, you could be in breach of contract and this could result in financial penalties. This might not be an issue for you if you don't want to go back in to the teaching field though.
    If you decide to quit, just make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for your students. Make sure that they understand that your decision had nothing to do with them and make sure that they get a proper good bye from you.
    I know that Catholic school especially can be very demanding and you make less than public school teachers(I was a Catholic School teacher for two years).
    Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!
    Dawn
    4th/CO