Should I pursue this science outdoor camp intern position?????>

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

Many, many months ago I applied for a internship position at a summer camp in my dream town. They do not pay a salary, but instead pay a $40 a day stipend. They also provide a place to live. I haven't heard from them and figured that they already hired the people they wanted. Just now, I read an email asking to set up a phone interview. I would LOVE to do this, but I had plans to go back to college and pursue a science credential. I don't know what I should do. My husband said that I should not go for this job because mainly, they do not pay enough. They are only hiring people who have Bachelor degrees, so, it's not just a job for college students. It's a serious job. I have always dreamed of working at an outdoor school. I fell in love with it when I went to an out door school when I was in the sixth grade.

What do you think I should do???? Plus, I'm lousy at interviewing, and after the year I had (being non-elected, my self-confidence is at an all time low and I don't know if I can handle another rejection...) :(

BTW: it's for next school year, not the summer. I would be away from my husband for a year. I just don't know....

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2008

This is hard. How long does the camp last? Can you wait until after the camp is over to start your classes? I think if you did get this position, then it would be a great addition to your resume when you start looking for your first science teaching job. The only thing I would be worried about is the pay.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

I think it lasts from August to June. I know that it would be a wonderful experience. A once in a lifetime thing... but the pay is just so low for people with bachelor degrees. Sigh.... I guess I could go through with the interview, ask some questions, and then maybe I'll have a better idea. My brain says to go back to school and sub Tues and Thurs, but my heart really wants to try this.

5. smalltowngal

Jun 12, 2008

Is it for the whole school year? Yeah, that is pretty low pay if they are requring a bachelor degree. Go through with the interview to better see what the camp is all about.

6. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

I just finished up a year working at one of those science camps for 6th graders here in California. It was an awesome experience, and I landed a job as a middle school science teacher for the fall. However, $40 a day seems awfully low... most of these camps that I know about pay at least $60, and some pay over $100. Also, you would probably have to live apart from your husband during the week. If you want more info or advice, let me know. I know the one where I worked is still hiring for next year!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

This one is in the central coast, which is four hours away from home. However, my brother will actually be living in the same city because he just got accepted into the University nearby. So, I won't be alone. I will be away from my hubby and rabbit though. I will talk with him and see what he says. I haven't talked to him about this since a few months ago when I first applied. ARGH! Why is this so hard?

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 12, 2008

It would be hard for me to live that far away from my husband. If the pay is only $40 a day, you'd spend most of that driving home to see your hubby on the weekends, vacations, etc.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 12, 2008

Wow. Well, for one the pay is extremely low which you already know this. I wonder why they offer such a low pay but want such high quality people. The second thing is being away from your husband, I know I just got married, but I still don't think I could be away from him for that long even if we'd been married 10 years. Also, you wouldn't be able to attend school to further your education in order to get a good job in an area you want to teach in. BUT...you don't have kids and this would be the prime time to do something like this.

The cons outweigh the pros from what I can see. But I don't want to be the downer! If you really want to, interview with them and get more information about the job.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

The interview can't hurt, especially if you have questions. I never want to be one to wonder "what if" so I'd go through the interview and go from there.

11. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

I say that you should go to the interview just to see what it's all about. As a military wife, I know how hard it is to be away from your husband for months at a time and I don't recommend it if you have a choice. To me, the cons outweigh the pros. Good luck with your decision though!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

I wonder... what if I do go through with the interview and then end up wanting to hire me (I doubt I would get hired) and I have to decline the offer. Does that kind of blacklist me from ever wanting to work with that school again?? My goal is to move to this town and work there, so I don't want to louse up my chances in the future.

13. smalltowngal

Jun 12, 2008

Well, maybe you can just say that you would love to work there in the future, but right now you just have too much going on with going back to school.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 12, 2008

Ya, I agree with STG. I mean it is a science outdoor school afterall...so if you decide to not take it and tell them you are going to further your education in science...they'd understand.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 12, 2008

The pay is low. Very low. While you say they provide housing, you already have housing -- so that is not an enticement. Are meals also included? For $40 per day, they better be!

Living apart from your spouse for 1 year when it isn't the only option is not, typically, good for a marriage.

You will be making very little money, and then spending $4 a gallon for gas to make the 4 hour trip to see hubby. You will be spending money on phone cards or cell phones to make and receive calls to and from hubby. It all adds up.

Sounds like you will be losing money on the deal.

I can't imagine even considering it.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

They also give us $12 for food, just looked it up. I agree that being apart for a year would be good for us. We did it before and I truly believe that it did help our relationship. It also helped with my relationship with my mom. I never really got along with her until I went away to college.

My hubby and I have this plan from cellular where we can talk to each other for free.

The ONLY thing would be the drive. When we were apart, my hubby would drive down once a month and I would drive up for the holidays. It worked, but gas prices wasn't that crazy back then.

So..... I think that I will go back to school. While this is a really neat experience, I need to think long term here. I know that getting a science credential will open up more doors. I will email the intern rep back and say that while I am very interested in teaching at their outdoor school, I have decided to go back to school and pursue a science credential. I'm sad though. Not considering the money, this would be a wonderful opportunity. If I didn't have a mortgage to pay and student loans and cell bills, I would really consider this.

17. smalltowngal

Jun 13, 2008

I'm glad that you have made a decision, Peachy, and I think that, at this point, it's the right one. And the email isn't burning any bridges so if something comes up again and you are able to do it, then you have a good shot at it.

18. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

If you go for it, you may become a bit more marketable.

19. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

Sorry, just read that you made your decision. But I think you made a good decision. It's good because it's what works for you!