Should I prepare a lesson plan???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tati80, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tati80

tati80 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

First off, I'm startng to feel bad about not calling out of work today when the principal of a school called me at 8am this morning asking if I could come in today. I was already on my way to my current job and I REALLY need time to prepare, so my interview is at 9am tomorrow.

Now when he called, he says he just received my resume since he was on vacation. I sent it on July 7 so I know he's scrambling for a teacher. When I sent the resume, I sent it as a general inquiry for a K-5 teacher. When he called he asked if I was still interested in a position. I said yes, he asked if I could come in today, I thought for like 2 secs and said no. I offered to come in first thig tomorrow morning and he said no problem. He then said he too lives in the town I live in (somethig i'm going to make sure to bring up during the interview) and proceded to give me directions. Then said he'd see me tomorrow.

Now he mentioned nothing about presenting a lesson plan but I feel I should have one prepared anyway, my thing is, on what? I don't even know the grade he's looking to fill (the school is pre-K- grade 4). I'm starting to get a little nervous, but I'm asking for God to calm me down.

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I have never had to bring a lesson plan to an interview! I don't think he would expect one since he wanted you to come in the day he called.

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

do you have a portfolio? you should. if you don't, you should have a mini-portfolio with lessons you've already done or that you have created.

5. tati80

tati80 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Shoot, my folder is at work with all my past lessons!!! I should have thought of that! I'll see if I can find anything here, thanks!

6. tati80

tati80 Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Great, that sounds reassuring!

7. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Is this your first teaching interview? I've been on four so far and none have asked for a lesson plan.

8. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I have had to "teach" lessons at interviews, but they definitely let you know that in advance. Otherwise no one has asked to see a lesson. I do carry a portfolio with me that has lessons in it, but like I said...they don't usually care to see it. However, he may ask you the question, "Tell me how you set-up a successful lesson." I've been asked this twice.