Should I pick my battles?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Sep 17, 2014.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 17, 2014

There was a post on here earlier about student hopping, crawling, sliding to the rug. I'm having the same issues with my students. However, it's kindergarten. Whenever I have have them go sit on the rug, many will jump there or slide to their spot. They can't just walk to the rug. Should I let this go because they are kinder?

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 18, 2014

Dealing with misbehavior takes time so it seems reasonable to ignore the little stuff. If one must battle better to save it for the large disruption. Or so it would seem. Problem with this strategy is big problems almost always grow from little problems left unattended.

Responding to some behaviors while ignoring others can destroy relationship. Students will think you are unfair - "But you let is run to the rug in class! How come we can't run in the hallway!?" Arbitrary response to rule following will tell students your management plan isn't worth sand. If you wait to step in when problems are large you lose the leverage of keeping them private - like a "look" or "private word" - and put yourself in the position of public discipline which is confrontational and can turn ugly in a hurry. And if you embarrass students in front of their peers they will get even. Furthermore, if one rule doesn't mean anything they will begin testing you to find out if your other rules mean anything. In short, "The rules in any classroom are defined by whatever the students can get away with." - FJ.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2014

DON'T ignore it. Make them fix it. Do it over and over until they can do it correctly. Have kids model the correct way.

I took over for a K teacher last January who let the kids do whatever. It was hard (on me and the kids) to break those habits so late into the year. The teacher was moved to another position because she had no control. (Tenured, or I think she would have been fired.)

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Sep 18, 2014

That is the only problem that I am having. They do their activities quietly, they follow directions. My classroom management is good. However, I also know how squirrelly kinders (especially boys) can be and it could be a maturity issue.

BUT, my gut is saying to stop it. So, that is what I think I will do. Thank you for the advice!

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

Is it the whole class or just a few students? Is it disruptive or loud? If it's the whole class, it's something I would practice, so the ones who do have the ability to walk to the rug in an organized manner will learn to do that and hopefully some will follow. If a few continue to skip, jump or do whatever then maybe they're not ready to behave in such an orderly way and I'd let it go.

7. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 20, 2014

I would like to echo the comments of not ignoring it. The earlier kids learn to follow typical classroom procedures, the better it is for all of us.