Should I look for a job before graduating????

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by emmi, Apr 15, 2003.

1. emmi

emmi Rookie

Apr 15, 2003

Hi there!
    I am finishing up my last semester of classes. So I will be student teaching in the fall, and graduating in December (God willing).
    I recently found out that a local school (about 20 miles away) will be looking for two teachers for the next school year or following school year. I live in rural North Dakota and jobs are hard to come by concidering that when a teacher gets a job it is usually for life.
    Anyway, I asked my counselor if I should look into the positions. His response was no, and that I will be most likely subbing when I get my degree. I didn't come out of his office feeling too wonderful!!
    So could someone give me advice. I would appriciate it. I don't know if there is any point in contacting the school now. I thought maybe if I contacted the school, then they would maybe ask me to student teach there as well. Is this dumb of me?????? I like to keep my ducks in a row generally in life, and waiting till I get my degree to look for a job seems dumb. Please inform me I am jumping ahead or what?
    Thanks!!!

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 15, 2003

I absolutely think you should start looking now, especially if jobs are so hard to come by. Get yourself into schools that you would like to teach. Getting to know more people and letting them see your work will benefit you. Even if you do sub, you are still getting exposure. Sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up, but that's not a negative. Some of the best insight into how things work are from the outside looking in.

Send your resume or vita to schools that are most appealing to you. Get yourself known and then go from there. I student taught at the school I ended up teaching at. I think getting to know everyone (by student teaching) before I applied for a position was a great benefit to myself and the teachers I had worked with. I knew more about the school district, teacher attitudes, pay, classroom management, students, etc. by getting my foot in the door, so to speak.

Best of luck with your student teaching! My best advice is don't be afraid to make yourself stand out from the others who are wanting the same things you do.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 18, 2003

new job, school responsibilities

Be certain that you can meet your graduation requirements FIRST. I would definitely take the job. I completed my internship and was offered a position to finish the school year. I took it right away because its AWESOME for resume building. I would also check with everyone first to make sure that you arent conflicting university rules.

5. emmi

emmi Rookie

Apr 21, 2003

Re: new job, school responsibilities

I will be done with all my classes except for one!! I have to take my last Spanish class in the fall, outside of student teaching!! They are making me finish my minor, even though it won't be much use in the future with the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. If I could take it this summer I would, but I am not aware of it being offered anywhere. But thanks...I have been given it some thought, and I don't know if I should even bother. I know that sounds aweful, but I am at my wits end with school in general. I took on a heavy load this semester so I could finish up and student teach in the fall. I am currently working on my porfolio and it has to be done by Thursday!!! I am just glad this will all be over soon. I'm sure others understand! Thanks for your replies, I keep you posted if I contact the school!! :)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 24, 2003

If you are graduating in Dec. you will be offically able to teach mid school year......it will be hard to find a full time classroom position, your best bet will be to find some subing jobs, see if any schools need adis or assistants, or if you are really lucky find someone who is leavin on maternity leave....

as for the positions that you are interested in, those districts are most likely looking for someone who will be able to start in september, and being that you have to student teach, you will not be able to fil the requierments.

If you have any say in where you student teach, try for those schools, this way when you are done, if anything is open, they may just ask you to stay, and put you on pay role....I know some people who have gotten jobs that way!
    Good luck ......its hard to find a job, just keep sending out resumes and making follow up calls!