Should I live in my school district or not?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Unbeknownst, May 9, 2010.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2010

It also depends on your definition of privacy, too.

I don't feel that my privacy is invaded when I run into "school-people" during my private time. I don't do anything that I would be embarrassed for anyone to see me doing. Since I'm from here originally, too, most of the parents are people I knew before I had their children anyway.

One of my neighbors used to be the transportation director. I've had both children of the family on the other side. Two of the three houses across the street have children who were in my class last year. They've seen me mowing the yard in my shorts & tank top. They've seen me walk to the mailbox in my housecoat and slippers. Last year a student who lives on up the road from me had a birthday party with about 20 students from our school (middle school). I was out working in my yard, and here they all came walking down the road. They just waved at me and went on.

That doesn't bother me. I did not feel "invaded".

2. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

Seriously.... your school can dictate what you wear in your private life outside of school? I don't doubt your word, I just find that to be absolutely completely amazing. I've never heard of such a thing here in Illinois.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2010

The only places I know of things like this are in private schools where there are morality codes in the contract. One of my friends has a contract that includes things about appearance--inside and outside of work. She cannot wear slacks/shorts, sleeveless shirts or jewelry other than a watch or wedding ring. She cannot wear make-up or cut her hair above her earlobes. Their teachers cannot be divorced, single parents, or live with a SO. No drinking. No smoking. It's very strict.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 11, 2010

My second grade teacher got fired for getting pregnant outside of wedlock. :( It was catholic school though.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2010

Unbeknownst, you must run into students & their families quite often outside of work. I lived in the same district where I taught. (The name of the district was even the same name as my city of residence). Now, I don't live in a city as large as Los Angeles, but another southern CA city an hr from it. The dist I worked at was tiny, only 4 schools & my house was 10 min away from my school. Believe it or not, I didn't run into anyone outside of work.

If it bothers you that much, live a couple of cities away. That should do the trick right? 2-3 cities away from me is still as close as 30 min away.

6. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 12, 2010

We'll go house hunting in July. I'll keep everyone posted as to what we decide (we'll look inside and outside the district).

Thanks for the great perspectives on the matter.

7. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 14, 2010

The only places I know of things like this are in private schools where there are morality codes in the contract. One of my friends has a contract that includes things about appearance--inside and outside of work. She cannot wear slacks/shorts, sleeveless shirts or jewelry other than a watch or wedding ring. She cannot wear make-up or cut her hair above her earlobes. Their teachers cannot be divorced, single parents, or live with a SO. No drinking. No smoking. It's very strict.
    Are you talking about my school? lol.
    yup. That is pretty much the way it is here. Morality code, I don't mind it, it's just sometimes I don't feel like putting on stockings to go buy milk!

8. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 14, 2010

I lied.

We're going on Saturday to start the process.

We just couldn't wait ... what can I say?