Should I leave?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nutmeg474, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Nutmeg474

Nutmeg474 New Member

Oct 11, 2010

Hello All,

This is my second year of teaching, and I'm trying to decide if staying in my current school district is the right thing to do. First, let me me say that I know it looks bad to leave in the middle of the year and that I know the grass usually only LOOKS greener on the other side, but I think dirt on the other side may be more appeasing than my current situation.

Last year I was hired in my school district to teach middle school math in their alternative school (this is an urban school district). It was EXTREMELY challenging, but I stuck with it and had a very rewarding first year of teaching. Many people in the district said, "If you can teach there, you can teach anywhere." I loved the people I worked with and could tell I was making a difference with my students, which all made the behavior problems so much easier to handle. This past August, our school district decided to furlough about 25 teachers (which they knew they were going to have to do in the Spring, but delayed telling the public and staff until the beginning of August). I was called and told I would be furloughed since I was one of the newer hires. Ten minutes later, the HR person called me back to say they made a mistake and I will still remain an employee, but will be transferred to a 2nd grade position (I am K-6 certified with 7-9 Math and 7-9 Social Studies). I taught 2nd grade for one week this school year and was told by HR that they now needed me to take the open 7th grade Social Studies position in one of their middle schools. I had to move all of my things, store all of my new elementary materials away ($300 worth), and buy all new posters and materials for my new social studies classroom. Not to mention, the director of HR could not even give me a specific day that this transition would take place. I went to my 2nd grade classroom everyday with the worry that I would be pulled out at any minute (eventually it was a week after the phone call).

In this new middle school, I am having a hard time with some of the staff members. Many of them don't appear to have the students' best interests at heart and are just looking for their bad behavior so they can be sent to the office. Some of the younger staff members have lost all faith in the district, staff, and students and are admittedly doing the least amount of work possible. Others are just riding out their few years before retirement (many have said they would have left the district this year if they didn't have those 1-2 years before retirement left). Our administration has not followed through with many of the board approved discipline policies and I rarely ever see them out of the office.

I have begun looking for other positions because there is absolutely no support for the teachers, I find it difficult to respect many of my colleagues, and I am absolutely appalled by how the school district has handled MANY issues (furloughs, my transfer, firing the superintendent recently without any cause, lack of teacher support in the entire city). There is a lot of teacher and administration turn-around in this district because of the problems the school district and city has.

I feel like I am no longer teaching the way that is best for my students due to student behavior issues that are not addressed and the lack of teacher support. I was very confident and successful last year, but this year I have lost that passion for teaching and not only has it become a chore to go to work every morning, it is also causing me anxiety to the point that my friends and family know not to ask me "how school went" because I don't want to relive the daily situations I encounter. I know that this mentality will not help my students, so I have tried to put aside my concerns and teach the students who come to school to learn. I know I can do greater things and reach many students, but I feel as though I can not show my true teaching ability in my current position in the school district and that I will burn-out very quickly.

Do you think it would be justified for me to leave this position? I have found a few job postings that I think would be the perfect fit for me, but have not applied to at this point. I want to make a difference in the lives students, but my ability to do that is currently dampened by the "drama" of my current school district.

Thanks for reading this VERY long post.

3. fedfanforever11

fedfanforever11 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010

I'm sorry to hear what has happened to you :hugs:
    Why don't you apply to the positions? Don't resign from your job by all means and don't tell anyone you are interviewing. If it doesn't work out, then stick it out for one more year and keep applying. Just make sure that if you do choose a new school that it is the right fit for you. Remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

4. walterharris

walterharris Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

Should I leave

There are some decent people there that I hope to heed the warnings and get out ASAP.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 15, 2010

I would apply but not tell anyone. But that's going to make your references difficult...I wish you luck.

6. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

Only you can make the decision to leave your current position or not. Adults aside, what about the kids? You indicate that there are discipline issues. Is it the majority of the kids or a few? If at all possible, is there a way to just concentrate on getting your "classroom world" in check, since it sounds that the "outside world" is of no help? Some of the discipline problems may be stemming from the school "atmosphere." Kids know when there is no support for teachers, problems in admin., etc. My kids tried this, until I let them know that when they enter my classroom they're in MY world. They now know to leave everything else at the door. I had several kids try to disrespect me, but I turned it back on them. By that, I mean I asked them, "How did I disrespect you?" It usually works. Not always, but usually. You said you had a decent year last year, reached kids, etc. What did you do last year to reach the kids? Sometimes the place we teach chooses us, rather than us choosing the place we teach. Again, only you can make that decision to stay or not. I will say, though, that your health is of the greatest importance.