Should I know what a lint trap is?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Dec 5, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 8, 2008

I'm glad I'm good for a few laughs. :) That moment of stupidity cost me about $150! The funny part is my husband never figured it out either even though the two of us had conversations about it. I know a pencil sharpener has shavings that needed to be dumped. How it got past me is beyond me. It's is funny though. It reminds me that sometimes when things are out of sight (like the lint trap), they are also out of mind. We go through life in automation at times that it takes a clear container to jolt us and get us thinking. DUH! Hehe..

2. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 8, 2008

Too funny!

I student taught in Ireland for 10 weeks in the spring of 2007. I moved in with a 27 y.o. teacher and her 26 y.o. roommate. When I went to do laundry one day I checked the lint trap. They had NEVER cleaned it. You could see the layers of lint. I think they had been using the dryer for months without cleaning it out. I told the girl who owned the house that she could have burnt the place down and she was lucky that I came when I did...

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 8, 2008

Don't feel too bad doug. There are plenty of duh! moments in my past as well. And I think I need to check my oil level. How exactly does one do that?

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

I'm sooooooooo not gonna touch that one :D

5. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I thought the same thing........:blush:

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

Too funny:lol::lol::lol:

7. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Try to do it 20 minutes after you've driven and the engine is somewhat warm, because oil contracts when it's cold outside and doesn't give the most accurate reading. In addition, it expands when it gets hot, so try to do it when the engine is warm.

Pop the hood on your car (make sure it's shut off) and find the oil dipstick container/area. Take the dipstick out and wipe it off with a shop towel or rag. Stick it all the way in again and pull it out; if the oil level is below the line marked "full," you need to add a little bit. But be careful how much you add- you don't want too much.

http://www.ehow.com/how_103_check-oil.html

There's a link that can explain it in much better detail than I can. Good luck!

8. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 9, 2008

Looking back I am actually really glad that moment came up in class. It was definitely a bonding moment for all of us as a class and I think it brought us closer together. This will help immensely in the long run, and if it cost me a little embarrassment, who cares!!

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

Oh my! LOL I have not read this thread. I just think it's funny that you wouldn't have been curious about the little compartment, door, handle or whatever and stumbled upon it. Or that you wouldn't have seen those lint balls in the trash while growing up.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 9, 2008

Exactly, and someone has told you about the extra stuff inside a turkey, right?

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 9, 2008

My mom forgot about that stuff last year and cooked the birds with everything still inside! About 2 hours into the cooking time she couldn't find the inards for the gravey!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 9, 2008

Yep! Embarrassing moments frequently turn out to be good teachable or bonding moments teachers.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2008

I have teenagers who don't know how to use a dishwasher
    This reminds me of a story

New Chainsaw

A fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, “Look, I have a lot of models, but why don’t you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day.”

So, the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords,
    he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. “How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?”
    the man asks himself. “I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day,” the man tells himself. So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 am in the morning and cuts and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and still he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. “The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer,” the man says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the man’s claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, “Hmm, it looks fine.”

Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds,
    “What’s that noise?”

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2008

You know about checking the oil but you never opened the little door Hmmmmmmmm
    :banghead: :spitwater:
    :toofunny: :toofunny:

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 9, 2008

:lol:

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 10, 2008

And what about toasters?? They have crumb traps that need to be cleaned out also!

17. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

I can't remember not ever knowing what a lint trap was. As long as I can think back to, I remember seeing gross lint in the kitchen trash can from my mom's dryer.

In college, there were always huge neon signs posted that said, "Clean the lint trap out after each use."

Also, my neighbor's house caught on fire because their teenage son was home alone doing laundry. He had not cleaned the lint trap out after many uses.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

My husband and I were just fussing about the lint trap (every once in a great while I'll let it go two cycles without cleaning it and he thinks that's quite the crime), and immediately this thread came to mind from so long ago. I used it to make my error seem less horrible. :woot:

He got a good laugh when I quickly pulled it up through a search for "lint"...but then questioned how severe my A to Z addiction is to recall and find this in the middle of an "argument". :lol:

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 15, 2013

Just Me, glad you remembered. A fun read!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

Oh yes, after every cycle. He does most of the laundry because he's extremely particular about laundry. Like, severe OCD type thing.

Unless we're washing workout clothes there is enough to scrape up. :)

21. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

I clean mine every load. There is always a bit.

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 15, 2013

Excuse me while I go check my lint trap.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

Hurry!!

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

My husband will report your spa to the fire marshall and energy conservation people. Haha. :)

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

26. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

I do that! But my house almost burned down for another reason when I was a kid. So, I'm not much for letting a known hazard go unchecked.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2013

Well, I searched for it on purpose just to say it was so funny to me years ago that I remembered it well during our little debate. :)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2013

Yes, I saw that. It's just always interesting when old threads come back.:lol:

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2013

I automatically clean it (almost always) :rolleyes: , Occasionally, back when I lived with my son, I would forget to clean it and thinking that I did it would answer my DIL's question about it with an automatic "Yes" well when the trap had layers I could not "back up" my answer :lol:

30. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 23, 2013

Has anyone tried that device you attach to your vacuum to clean out the inner workings of the dryer and lint trap? I'm curious about how well it cleans.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

Not knowing something from lack of experience is just what it is. I always say that having grown up in Phoenix and Southern California, if I ever moved someplace where it snowed, I'd have no idea how to do anything. Take care of a home, a car...even dress properly. I can see if you have never had to take care of your own dryer how you wouldn't be up on regular maintenance rules.

Kids just yuck it up when they know something an adult doesn't know. You made their day.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

How much is a lint trap?
    Where can I get one?
    Do I need a license?
    When is lint season?
    How do you cook them?
    What wine would serve with lint?
    I understand the lint hide is very valuable
    [​IMG]

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2013

OP, being a young guy such as yourself, I wouldn't have bet any money that you would have known what a lint trap is. If you were a female, it would have been a different story.

Many guys do know what a lint trap is though, but it's OK. I think each of us don't know about something that is supposedly, generally common, but due to our lack of just never being told, etc., we don't know.

For example, I never really go to the beach nor had I ever heard of the word before, so for a long time, I never knew what a JEDI (sp?) was:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1150/3171653479_83997884b2_z.jpg

Yikes dave, that's pretty scary BTW!

34. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

:lol::rolleyes::spitwater:

35. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

ms. I, I've always thought it was a Jetty:)

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2013

You're right! :) It was spelled wrong when I found that picture I posted.

38. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 24, 2013

This story just made me giggle a little! Don't feel bad. We all have something that is "common sense" that we just don't know about! :)

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2013

Most moms teach their kids (guys included!) how to do the laundry (including the lint trap cleaning) sometime before they go off to college.:huh:

The long rock structures jutting out into bodies of water are called 'jetties'. A Jedi is one who fights against Darth Vader and his ilk....Luke Skywalker was a Jedi.:whistle:

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

For visual learners
    [​IMG]
    A Jetty
    [​IMG]
    A Jedi