should I just quit?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

I suggest you look up the countless threads authored by OP.

2. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

Kenz reminds me a whole lot of another poster, with a four letter name, who I don't recall seeing around in quite a while, who had similar issues. I'm not sure if that poster ever ended up finding a job as most of his/her posts were about how unfair it was that they were never hired after the interview. I'm sure some of you know who I am talking about.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

I teach grade 7. All subjects except for Phys Ed, Music and French. I do have a couple of ESL students, as well as a couple with LDs, but it's a "regular" class with 26 students and no ELL or Special Ed support. The literacy objectives are quite complex, but far too lengthy to post here--I haven't counted, but probably over 200 when looking at all 4 strands of Literacy that I cover (Reading, Writing, Media Literacy, and Oral Communication).

I was honestly trying to give you some specific, concrete help, by showing how I think about teaching it all.

4. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I owe almost $150,000 for about seven or eight years of college, related living expenses, and penalty fees. How? I could have met my needs in more frugal ways, I'm pretty sure. It just never crossed my mind to do so. I wasn't trying to dig myself into a mound of debt, but that is what happened. I was convinced that going to college was the only thing I could do well, so I took an extremely low paying job as an emergency substitute teacher, got beaten up emotionally by snarky little middle school students, and sacrificed a few opportunities to work, in favor of more classes and unpaid internships to finish my degree, and, rather than seeing the handwriting on the wall, told myself that it would get better as I got more experience and learned what I was supposed to be doing. I didn't really have any confidence that I could find a job that I could actually live off of, so I kept going to college and living off of what was left over. I kept this up for around seven or eight years.

I didn't know it at the time, but I borrowed a private loan, not just federal loans, and the terms on that one were different. I didn't know that filling out a FAFSA could even result in a private student loan. I really should have done my research.

5. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

At least I gave it a fair shot. Before, I saw not only myself failing but my coworkers as well, so I could blame the environment. Here, I can't do that. I see that I clearly have trouble doing something that I'm supposed to be able to do. Maybe it has to do with how I come off to the kids. I don't look like an authoritarian. In fact, I try not to be mean because I remember my own school experience. There were times when our teachers yelled at us so much that we felt like we were in prison. I think this career choice was potentially liberating. At least they've learned from their mistakes and aren't going to treat the next generation like a bunch of prisoners. It's also disappointing, though, because I NEVER had these kinds of opportunities as a kid. In fact, I was afraid to talk to my teachers until I graduated. The sensation of being a nonperson stays with you for years and years. I look back at those times with both nostalgia and anger, or at least annoyance. I wasn't on the "college prep track," because that was something special, not for just anyone, and it required a whole lot more work and ridicule than I wanted to sit through.

I found out there was also an honors program at the university I attended, too. I didn't really understand that. I know that maybe a lot of colleges have them, but in high school, "honors" meant "college prep," didn't it? What did "honors" mean in college?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

Oh my goodness, 150K?! You’ll never pay that off in less than 10 years. How are you going to buy a house or start a family? I’m very worried for you because that amount is just stifling. I really think you should look at working at the best paying districts because if you make $30,000-$40,000 or less then I don’t see you having much of a life. :(

7. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

All good advice. I guess I'll start there.

8. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I can't do that because I don't have enough experience to know what works and what doesn't. How is it not reasonable to ask for a script? Think about a computer program and digital interactive learning; those all follow scripts, and technology components are requirements in most lesson plans. Good scripts aren't bad things. In fact, I think our dependency on technology shows us that they can actually enhance learning.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Well, I don't think it will be much longer until teaching is taken over by adaptable computer programs, anyway, but no I wouldn't want my kids being taught by someone who can't respond to them emotionally and connect with them. That's the aspect of teaching a robot can't replicate. That's why I feel like I need a script. I need to be able to bring that 10 percent extra which is my own personality. Right now, it's buried in insecurity--is this lesson I prepared any good, probably not?

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

Emotion isn't scripted, but you need more than emotion to do a good job. You stated that you were yelled out as a student. Well, that is emotion, but not the warm fuzzy kind.

Kenz501 likes this.
  11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

This is just so terribly offensive. I can't even imagine how you think that teaching students another language, including all the literacy skills you'd expect to see in a regular English class, is easier. By even suggesting this, you're completely minimizing all the hard work that teachers in all those areas (English, ESL, foreign language) are doing. And quite frankly, with all the self-created struggles you've been describing around these parts, it's laughable that you're calling any subject "easier" than another. When you've got a handle on any one of them, I might be more willing to accept your opinion on which subject may be easier to teach than another.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

You're worried about the "10 percent extra" when you're struggling to take attendance on time? Focus on the first 100% before you worry about anything extra. Heck, focus on the first 75%.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

I couldn't fathom having a script. It makes no sense to me. If it were just a matter of following a script, why not just may someone $20/hr to do it, and call it a day? You are getting experience now to know what works and what doesn't to help make you a better professional! That's what this is all about!!!

So tell me, from lessons you've taught in September through November, what has worked and what has not worked? What will you change about those lessons next year and what will stay the same? This is all part of being a reflective practicioner. You've received more help in this thread than I did my entire first year of teaching. Yes, it was hard. Yes, there were a few days I questioned if it was really what I wanted to do. BUT, five years later, I love it, and couldn't imagine any other job.

And I also wouldn't sweat too much about technology until you get the basics down pat.

14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Sorry, I'll go back and look at your other post again, but it looked like good advice.

15. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.