should I just quit?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

But think about the logic behind what you said? Teachers who rely solely on “overhead projectors and drill worksheets” have it “easier,” allegedly. You do realize that it’s not only math teachers that do this. This statement can literally be applied to ANY person who teaches any subject matter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

Sue your university for letting you graduate apparently grossly unprepared.

3. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I get it. High school students could do a better job teaching than I do. I don't "bring anything to the table." I'm completely inept when it comes to doing this job, even though I thought I trained for it for seven years.

I don't want to be inept, but my colleagues aren't going to allow me to copy them to catch up. Every day, I face the just humiliation of someone who "isn't prepared enough," and that's that, and there's almost no way I see myself performing as well as my coworkers without help. Yay, loser, perpetually, I even went to college and it didn't solve my problems.

4. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

How does that work? Why was I dumb enough to get a master's degree from them when a bachelor's didn't work?

I wonder if I have a case. I majored in English, and I majored in Secondary Education; the two were just never put together for me.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

I think you deserve to do something that makes you happy. Teaching doesn't seem to be that thing. So to get to your original question, I think this is one of those rare instances where my final answer must be "yes, you should quit". Find something where you will not have these feelings of inadequacy, which is not fair to you or your students. Even if that something means working multiple jobs to make ends meet, if those jobs have cut and dry directions for what to do in every circumstance, I think it will make you happier.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

The problem is the fact that you view your only two options as 1) ineptitude and 2) copying from other people. There are other options.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I don't have a lot of confidence that I could do anything without a degree or specialized training. I do not have a great working memory, so jobs like cashiering or anything that requires a lot of multitasking are out. My attitude is terrible; I say things to people that I don't mean and only realize after they've left my mouth that they were inappropriate (hence one of many reasons I would like a script), so almost any job that requires working with people are out. What does that leave me?

I'm not a bad tutor; I've done it before, and it's less stressful than teaching. I just have trouble creating my own lessons without a clear guide. I don't know what extra materials to use, and even though it makes sense to me to just let me copy to make sure I do it right, I guess that's not the opinion of my coworkers.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Many intelligent people aren't cut out for teaching. Not being successful at teaching is not the same as being dumb.

It's not the school's job to put those two content areas together for you. That was and is your job. I'm really struggling here with the fact that you aren't seeing this.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Teaching is almost all about multitasking. Even if you're lucky enough to only do one type of task (which is impossible, considering classroom management and student engagement), you're going to be doing it differently for the 30+ students in your classroom at any given time.

And you're going to have to work with people 100% of the time as a teacher. You know that, right? When you're not working with your students, you are collaborating with your colleagues and conferencing with parents. It's probably impossible to have a "terrible attitude" and say inappropriate things and be a successful teacher.

Perhaps tutoring is a better option for you, or some sort of one-on-one teaching. Maybe you could find a job as a private teacher for a family that travels extensively or something like that.

10. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I don't really want to quit without having something else lined up. Where should I look?

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

So why not tutor? Either independently, or through some company. That alone obviously isn't enough to get by. You say cashiering wouldn't work, but what about retail in terms of inventory, stocking shelves, etc? Even cashiering is much less multitasking than teaching, and the consequences of messing it up are far less!!

Teaching is the most people-oriented and multitask-oriented job I can think of. When those are the two things you want to avoid, staying put doesn't seem like a solution.

Just start scouring Craigslist and Indeed, and eventually you'll find something that might match your skill set and needs.

12. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

To be honest, I don't want to quit at all. I keep imagining how great everything would be if the circumstances were ideal. I get it, though, the college didn't teach me everything I need to know to make up for my deficits, my colleagues aren't going to teach it to me, and I'm pretty much sunk if I don't figure out how to teach myself, which is one reason I went to school to be a teacher in the first place.

13. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I would like to sue the people who sold me this dream, though.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

OMG I literally gave you a suggestion in the post you quoted.

[​IMG]

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

This is just getting outrageous. If this is some elaborate trolling, it is really well done.

vickilyn likes this.
  16. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Do you think tutoring jobs are easier to come by than teaching jobs?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

I work damn hard at what I do, even after teaching for over 20 years. I've never been given a script to follow, and the day that I am is the day I leave the profession. I am learning all of the time--I read professional books, follow some inspiring teachers and authors on Twitter, belong to some informal groups of teachers who are always trying to improve our craft. I try new things.

We teach children, not a subject or a course. We need to know, not just the standards, but what is going on in the world, what the students are exposed to in the media and what's going on in their lives. There is no script that can tell you what to do or say when a student's father is arrested for beating up his mother or when a student's writing assignment contains a suicide threat or when you know that some of your students are involved with drugs, or gangs, or are sexually active. No script can help you deal with the first snowfall of the year, the students who arrive at school hungry, or that pain-in-the-butt kid who just wants someone, anyone, to pay some attention to him.

Lots of dedicated, passionate educators have given you advice and suggestions. However, just like we won't do the work for our students, we won't do your work for you. The person doing the work and putting in the time is the one doing the learning.

geoteacher, CherryOak and Caesar753 like this.
  18. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I'm not a troll, but I am afraid I'll eventually end up "living under a bridge," hopefully not literally, if I don't get some kind of grip on my career. I'm smart enough to pass a class, but I can't actually apply what I learn unless I feel like I've got really clear steps.

19. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

No, there isn't, and I get what you are trying to say. I don't agree with you, but I understand what you are trying to say, but please remember that everyone isn't good at "being human." Sometimes we're almost as scarred as the children we counsel. Instinct doesn't help in situations like that. It's better to have a guideline, a way to remember how to stay professional and not let our emotions take over.

At least, that's the issue for me sometimes, or it was at the youth center.

20. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Thanks for the teaching-related advice, though, everyone. I feel like it's worse than I actually thought it was, and I guess I need to remember that most of you aren't experts on people with Autism Spectrum Disorder, chronic mild depression, severe OCD, and maybe some sort of personality disorder. It seems like maybe it's that collection of problems that's making this all difficult to work through. There's also the possibility that I'm making this sound a lot worse than it is, as I have a tendency to do that.

I do think I have a better idea of what I need to do to be successful, but I'm still very upset at myself for not being as good at this job as my coworkers. I also feel like I'm in danger of being ignored or mistreated if I continue this argument, so I guess I'm just going to maybe take these concerns to a therapist or another forum where these kinds of complaints are understood.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

I believe the suggestion you sue should be taken tongue in cheek. You are not the only student who has graduated a program to discover that the field isnt really a fit. You can continue to blame your university, your colleagues, the lack of a highly scripted step by step curriculum , but the reality is you need to do some serious introspection. You may want to teach, but its really not about what you want. Its about the students and it seems you are seriously incapable of delivery quality instruction in a way that reaches students. ‘Book smarts’in college doesnt always translate to good teaching.

Joyful! and Caesar753 like this.
  22. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Sorry, but it is unacceptable that I cannot get a good job that I can actually do with a master's degree in my field. What is my degree worth, then? I took out student loans to help me pay for it and the time I wasn't working pursuing it. That's a lot of money for a degree that is expected to help me earn a living.

It's "about the kids" in the sense that they need a quality education, but it's also about the teachers to an extent, because we have to have the proper training to do our jobs. It's not "about the kids" exclusively; we are all contributors. The teachers teach; the kids learn.

It would also be nice if there were free public education beyond high school...

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 9, 2017

These posts need to just stop. I checked the morning and the pages have doubled since then. I can’t actually go back and read any of it.

24. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

Here’s an idea: Print out the yearly standards that you have to cover and organize them by chapter. Then, plan your lessons around what you have to cover for each unit. For example, in one chapter in geometry, I have to teach: conditional statements, inductive reasoning, deductive reasoning, biconditional statements, algebraic proofs, and geometric proofs. So since I know I have to teach those six concepts, I reserve at least one day for each concept and then I add in (measurable) objectives, anticipatory sets, lesson of the day, guided practice, assessments, homework, materials used, and accommodations. Having a blank template really helps! Just insert a rectangular grid in Microsoft Word and fill it in.

Kenz501 likes this.
  25. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Dec 9, 2017

No college education program teaches the things you believe you should have been taught. It is just not feasible to have a scripted plan for every possible lesson for every standard in every situation and a scripted conversation for every possible interaction a teacher may have with students, other teachers, admin, and parents prepared and handed to you to whip out when you don’t know what to do next. Part of being a teacher is being able to be flexible and to think on your feet. You have to be able to look at your students and say to your self I am losing them and instantly come up with something to grab their attention again. It doesn’t always have to be perfect but teaching isn’t something that can be boiled down to a formula or script that will stay the same from day to day.

futuremathsprof and Upsadaisy like this.
  26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

The kids learn BECAUSE of good teaching. It is all about the learners. Have you learned anything in this thtead or any of your othet threads? .

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

OP must be aware that she spends an inordinate number of hours on her computer, day in and day out, often starting new threads before anyone responded to the last couple of threads. I do know people who are on the spectrum with OCD, etc,. and on their best day they wouldn't be able to write in circles like this poster. If OP is real, their need for help exceeds anything any of us can give. If an elaborate ruse, this person must sit and think up convoluted plot twists all day.

I find it telling that OP states:
    I do think I have a better idea of what I need to do to be successful, but I'm still very upset at myself for not being as good at this job as my coworkers. I also feel like I'm in danger of being ignored or mistreated if I continue this argument, so I guess I'm just going to maybe take these concerns to a therapist or another forum where these kinds of complaints are understood.

I take that to mean that we are no fun anymore.

28. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Someone accused me of trolling. If I was, it wasn't intentional. I'm just frustrated. The world doesn't make sense right now. Things are better, but it seems like they are about to get worse because I'm somehow defective, as I'm struggling to do this job properly and I'm just waiting for the next holiday break to escape the stress and frustration. I also have other issues that aren't related to teaching but the stress of this job isn't exactly helping.

I don't really hate kids, but after having to put up with mean little middle students as an adult, I can say with confidence that I sometimes really hate their behavior. Plus, some of the kids here have pleasant dispositions and absolutely adore learning. I'm upset I can't do anything special for them, and I'm a little concerned they won't continue to be excited about my class if I can't prove myself.

Things are better, though. I have a boss who supports her teachers' decisions, and I'm getting a little more comfortable writing kids up and assigning detentions. I'm getting a little more confident about taking control, although I think the kids try to play mind games with me by claiming they didn't do anything when they clearly did. Whatever. I guess it wouldn't bother me if I didn't see it all as my personal failure. I mean, they've demonstrated that they can sit and work quietly without anyone at all in the room. I'm beginning to feel like they hate me, and that's a poor reflection upon me, as this is a good school in a safe neighborhood.

All of this negativity isn't good for me to dwell on, though, so I should probably go elsewhere and vent there and maybe come back here when I have more specific questions and am not feeling upset.

29. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

With all of those supports, I wish you well, still hoping that you will get some of the outside help that you seem to desire and need.

futuremathsprof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.