should I just quit?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

The problem is the fact that you view your only two options as 1) ineptitude and 2) copying from other people. There are other options.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I don't have a lot of confidence that I could do anything without a degree or specialized training. I do not have a great working memory, so jobs like cashiering or anything that requires a lot of multitasking are out. My attitude is terrible; I say things to people that I don't mean and only realize after they've left my mouth that they were inappropriate (hence one of many reasons I would like a script), so almost any job that requires working with people are out. What does that leave me?

I'm not a bad tutor; I've done it before, and it's less stressful than teaching. I just have trouble creating my own lessons without a clear guide. I don't know what extra materials to use, and even though it makes sense to me to just let me copy to make sure I do it right, I guess that's not the opinion of my coworkers.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Many intelligent people aren't cut out for teaching. Not being successful at teaching is not the same as being dumb.

It's not the school's job to put those two content areas together for you. That was and is your job. I'm really struggling here with the fact that you aren't seeing this.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Teaching is almost all about multitasking. Even if you're lucky enough to only do one type of task (which is impossible, considering classroom management and student engagement), you're going to be doing it differently for the 30+ students in your classroom at any given time.

And you're going to have to work with people 100% of the time as a teacher. You know that, right? When you're not working with your students, you are collaborating with your colleagues and conferencing with parents. It's probably impossible to have a "terrible attitude" and say inappropriate things and be a successful teacher.

Perhaps tutoring is a better option for you, or some sort of one-on-one teaching. Maybe you could find a job as a private teacher for a family that travels extensively or something like that.

5. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I don't really want to quit without having something else lined up. Where should I look?

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

So why not tutor? Either independently, or through some company. That alone obviously isn't enough to get by. You say cashiering wouldn't work, but what about retail in terms of inventory, stocking shelves, etc? Even cashiering is much less multitasking than teaching, and the consequences of messing it up are far less!!

Teaching is the most people-oriented and multitask-oriented job I can think of. When those are the two things you want to avoid, staying put doesn't seem like a solution.

Just start scouring Craigslist and Indeed, and eventually you'll find something that might match your skill set and needs.

7. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

To be honest, I don't want to quit at all. I keep imagining how great everything would be if the circumstances were ideal. I get it, though, the college didn't teach me everything I need to know to make up for my deficits, my colleagues aren't going to teach it to me, and I'm pretty much sunk if I don't figure out how to teach myself, which is one reason I went to school to be a teacher in the first place.

8. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I would like to sue the people who sold me this dream, though.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

OMG I literally gave you a suggestion in the post you quoted.

[​IMG]

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

This is just getting outrageous. If this is some elaborate trolling, it is really well done.

vickilyn likes this.
  11. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Do you think tutoring jobs are easier to come by than teaching jobs?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

I work damn hard at what I do, even after teaching for over 20 years. I've never been given a script to follow, and the day that I am is the day I leave the profession. I am learning all of the time--I read professional books, follow some inspiring teachers and authors on Twitter, belong to some informal groups of teachers who are always trying to improve our craft. I try new things.

We teach children, not a subject or a course. We need to know, not just the standards, but what is going on in the world, what the students are exposed to in the media and what's going on in their lives. There is no script that can tell you what to do or say when a student's father is arrested for beating up his mother or when a student's writing assignment contains a suicide threat or when you know that some of your students are involved with drugs, or gangs, or are sexually active. No script can help you deal with the first snowfall of the year, the students who arrive at school hungry, or that pain-in-the-butt kid who just wants someone, anyone, to pay some attention to him.

Lots of dedicated, passionate educators have given you advice and suggestions. However, just like we won't do the work for our students, we won't do your work for you. The person doing the work and putting in the time is the one doing the learning.

geoteacher, CherryOak and Caesar753 like this.
  13. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I'm not a troll, but I am afraid I'll eventually end up "living under a bridge," hopefully not literally, if I don't get some kind of grip on my career. I'm smart enough to pass a class, but I can't actually apply what I learn unless I feel like I've got really clear steps.

14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

No, there isn't, and I get what you are trying to say. I don't agree with you, but I understand what you are trying to say, but please remember that everyone isn't good at "being human." Sometimes we're almost as scarred as the children we counsel. Instinct doesn't help in situations like that. It's better to have a guideline, a way to remember how to stay professional and not let our emotions take over.

At least, that's the issue for me sometimes, or it was at the youth center.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  15. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Thanks for the teaching-related advice, though, everyone. I feel like it's worse than I actually thought it was, and I guess I need to remember that most of you aren't experts on people with Autism Spectrum Disorder, chronic mild depression, severe OCD, and maybe some sort of personality disorder. It seems like maybe it's that collection of problems that's making this all difficult to work through. There's also the possibility that I'm making this sound a lot worse than it is, as I have a tendency to do that.

I do think I have a better idea of what I need to do to be successful, but I'm still very upset at myself for not being as good at this job as my coworkers. I also feel like I'm in danger of being ignored or mistreated if I continue this argument, so I guess I'm just going to maybe take these concerns to a therapist or another forum where these kinds of complaints are understood.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.