should I just quit?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

It might be different at the advanced levels. I'm talking about little lessons for kids at the youth center and ESL to refugees through a private organization. You could probably consider it more tutoring than teaching. I'm really a better tutor than teacher, I think, because all a tutor has to do is find the problems the kid has learning material that has already been selected by a teacher.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2017

Oh, I'm sure you don't know. I suspect that you're fairly ignorant about a lot of what happens in the world of education, based on your posts here. Par for the course.

3. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Sorry if I'm not really understanding the question. The stuff in college was straight-forward, but it was just content knowledge, literary analysis, papers, theories, tests, etc., no real world application, except to a limited degree during student teaching.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

So you decided that since you are only educated/qualified to be a tutor, you should be the teacher?

Someone had to notice your deficits.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 9, 2017

Okay, as someone who has barely taught you do not get to speak about the ease of other subjects.

I teach mathematics and work VERY hard in my day to day. I use manipulatives like partitioned cross sections to model Riemann sums, I use GeoGebra, Kahoot, and a myriad of other interactive software to make engaging lessons, I have my students do project-based learning and problem-based learning exercises, I have them use graphing calculators to do games and simulations in AP Statistics, I have them conduct surveys for statistics projects, as well as use klinometers to measure angles and estimate heights of buildings and trees and such, etc.

A lot of planning went into my lessons and I strive to include videos and games to make learning mathematics fun. It is very hard work, so please don’t stereotype us math teachers as having easier jobs. I’d like to see you teach all of my math courses (Financial Math, Advanced Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus AB/BC, and AP Statistics). I’d like to see you come up with mathematics proofs on the fly for every theorem, corollary, lemma, and formula. Id like to see you write computer programs to run repeated trials and collect data. I’d like to see you deal with students with several different brands of calculators and having to learn how to work with each and spot students’ mistakes. I’d like to see you get students who are below grade level to understand complex mathematics.

Just try it and see how easy it is.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  6. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I have a teaching license, just little experience or good training.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

If no one ever noticed that you can't, in reality, teach, then I feel for Texas. Your colleagues didn't sign up to teach a college graduate, and it isn't in their job description.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

Dec 9, 2017

Agreed.

9. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

Wow. Impressive, but did your own teachers use an overhead projector, pages from the textbook, and internet videos? Did they tell you to just "search online and see what you find." If so, you probably understand, because you had to look for all of those resources and really dig to figure out what would work and how to go beyond that. I'm still trying to learn how to add to the methods that were used to teach me---mainly power point, online videos, and lectures, and, yes, it does seem nearly impossible to get up to the level of the more experienced teachers on my hall without help, and it doesn't help that teachers who are younger than me are somehow able to do more with what they have.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

And still you have missed the point - your colleagues should be able to assume that you are at a certain level of proficiency. They have their hands full teaching their classes of MS students. Whether you want to hear it or not, you should have come with some skills or been able to pick them up in a reasonable time.

Caesar753 likes this.
  11. futuremathsprof

Dec 9, 2017

But think about the logic behind what you said? Teachers who rely solely on “overhead projectors and drill worksheets” have it “easier,” allegedly. You do realize that it’s not only math teachers that do this. This statement can literally be applied to ANY person who teaches any subject matter.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 9, 2017

Sue your university for letting you graduate apparently grossly unprepared.

13. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

I get it. High school students could do a better job teaching than I do. I don't "bring anything to the table." I'm completely inept when it comes to doing this job, even though I thought I trained for it for seven years.

I don't want to be inept, but my colleagues aren't going to allow me to copy them to catch up. Every day, I face the just humiliation of someone who "isn't prepared enough," and that's that, and there's almost no way I see myself performing as well as my coworkers without help. Yay, loser, perpetually, I even went to college and it didn't solve my problems.

14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 9, 2017

How does that work? Why was I dumb enough to get a master's degree from them when a bachelor's didn't work?

I wonder if I have a case. I majored in English, and I majored in Secondary Education; the two were just never put together for me.

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 9, 2017

I think you deserve to do something that makes you happy. Teaching doesn't seem to be that thing. So to get to your original question, I think this is one of those rare instances where my final answer must be "yes, you should quit". Find something where you will not have these feelings of inadequacy, which is not fair to you or your students. Even if that something means working multiple jobs to make ends meet, if those jobs have cut and dry directions for what to do in every circumstance, I think it will make you happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.