Should I go?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by citylady, May 1, 2010.

1. citylady

citylady Rookie

May 1, 2010

I am a new preschool teacher and have a love/hate relationship with my job. There are days I want to use this summer to development professionally as a teacher, and days when I want to get a summer job so I don't have to come back in September.

I was hired six days after I found out this school existed. I had no orientation and did not have a chance to speak with any faculty before beginning. I have different groups; 21 four year olds to myself for part of the day and 17 three year olds the other.

My distress is largely due to the fact that my teaching and management styles don't really fit in. It is a strict environment and I hear yelling from other teachers. I don't like to do this, but I was told that I have to be stern. Also, it's an academically based preschool and when I use play and movement in my classes, some look at me in disdain. I think that other classes have students sit at their desks for lessons and constantly prompting them to "shhh!" and "work in silence".

I am thinking I should be honest with my boss and tell him I don't think I'm a good fit for the environment. I have another job prospect, but I would have to leave a few weeks before the school year ends to take it. I'm confused and want to stay a teacher, but I'm tired of going to work every day and feeling like I fail in this school.

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

May 1, 2010

GO! GO! GO!

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 1, 2010

This place you work at does not even sound like a preschool. I would leave as soon as you are able.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

Go...and don't look back! I feel badly for these children when they get to kindergarten and are already burned out about school.

6. citylady

citylady Rookie

May 2, 2010

Thanks for your input,

People in my circle are telling me to stay because "it's a great job, you're getting married and need a job/money, it's good money, you wanted to be a teacher, etc".

What are other preschools like? Are children constantly told to be quiet and shhh? How do you keep 20 four year olds constructively busy for an hour?

I would miss my actual teaching but I'm leaning towards taking the other job if it's finalized, even though it's a pay cut.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

I teach K, but I think these things still relate.

I tell my students to be quiet if they are yelling or if the overall noise level gets too loud, but I don't expect them to work quietly all day long.

You keep them constructively busy for an hour (or 6 hours depending on the length of the school day) by doing things that are developmentally appropriate, engaging, and allow for choice.

8. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

May 3, 2010

Go! It sounds like this place doesn't fit your style and beliefs. To stay will drive you crazy, and you'll regret it. I'm not happy with my current job, and am back at school to open up new doors. My center was a great place when I started 5 1/2 years ago. But due to a major expansion, and move, it's gone downhill, along with the staff.

9. teacherR

teacherR Companion

May 3, 2010

I agree with the other post, go! Working in this environment for to long will burn you out and you will not want to teach anymore. If you are unhappy with the treatment that the children get then you should make a run for it. Money does not always trump happiness.

I teach preschool and my kids do not do desk work. I never tell them to shh and work in silence. I also do not yell at them. A child's work is play. That is how they learn. Kids are loud, busy, and curious. That is how they are supposed to be.

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 3, 2010

I recommend go and work at another place where you are happy and the children are happy. Follow your heart and your heart will bloom. Best of luck to you!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 3, 2010

I think you have to think of the kids - wait until the end of the school year.

12. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

May 3, 2010

This does not sound like a good preschool in my opinion- let me put it to you this way. I've been teaching preschool for going on 8 years now, and absolutely adore doing it and can't imagine doing anything else. I'd even do it for free if I could pay my bills some other way.

But I wouldn't work at your school if you paid me a million dollars, based soley on your description.

This sounds like a "cut your losses" situation. Yeah, you may be attached to some of the kids (and vice versa), and there may be a few other benefits to staying, but believe me you will feel so relieved when you walk out of that place for the last time. Quit and move on, and you'll realize it was the right choice.

13. Tangerine

Tangerine Rookie

May 7, 2010

It's really too bad about the pay cut you'll be taking if you choose to go to this new job, but you have to ask yourself if the money is worth it if you hate your job, or if you're forced to work in an environment where four year olds are constantly being told to be quiet and work silently.

From personal experiences, the preschools I've frequented do not operate this way. Children learn by playing, and there are plenty of ways you could make sure that they gain something from playing. It's not really as daunting as it sounds because there's so much you can do.

I'm going to agree with the posts here and say that, if I were you I would take this other job if you feel it matches your teaching style. You could become easily disillusioned in your current job if you just go along with their methods even if you don't agree.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

14. citylady

citylady Rookie

May 14, 2010

Thanks guys,

I have felt very depressed after school lately. I am so sick of listening to the faculty yelling and bellowing. I am so sick of being reprimanded for my "messy" ways of using props and play in class. I don't know if I'm going to make it to the end of the school year. Here's to hoping your job satisfaction is better than mine, and here's to hoping I get there someday.

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

i have been frustrated at work too,but I know for me it's because I went out for surgery and was gone a month with a sub in the room and the kids walked all over her,plus two new children started in my room while I was out and they have some definite behavior issues that didnt' get addressed until after I got back so my whole class dynamic changed. We do table work, and I do not tell them to be silent while doing it, as long as they are doing it. I do have to tell a couple of them to stop talking to eat at lunch time though! I incorporate a lot of music,movement and messy projects into our day as well. The children come into the room willingly and excited and leave smiling and their evals show they are making steady progress in all areas so what I'm doing must be working....and I say if it works don't fix it--fortunatly I have a director who agrees--- that's why I've been at the same place for 11 years. This year I have thought about quitting but can't think of anything else or anywhere else I'd rather work at. So I know I am where I need to be. If you can't say the same thing, then you should leave

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 23, 2010

I STILL don't understand how you can "legally" have that many 3 or 4 year olds by yourself! What are the licensing rules in your area? It sounds very fishy to me and I would consider reporting this if I were you.
    At the most I can have 13 four and five year olds by myself. I do extensive lesson plans so our day goes smoothly.
    I am "firm," but don't holler at them.
    The children in your care need you to be their advocate. It sounds like an awful place for a child or teacher to spend their time. Get out of there asap.