Should I get my MEd ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrssantos, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 25, 2018

In my district a MA is a $3000 per year pay bump. One teacher with a MA isn't going to kill a district. If they have a lot of them, then I can see preferring to hire those without one.

However, here we have to have half of a MA finished in 5 years and all within 10 years. I went ahead and did mine early. By the end of my third year, mine was finished.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 25, 2018

That seems very expensive to be working on your second Masters... You are going to be maxed out on the salary schedule, most likely, so at least you can look forward to that!

Concerning my situation, the highest at my private school is Masters + 15, so I don’t bother after that. I mean, I was mulling over getting an Ed.S or and Ed.D, but will only do so once I want to become an administrator full time, which won’t be for a while. I just love teaching so much! I do have the $5,000 salary increase to look forward to next year — if you are maxed out on our salary schedule you get a $5,000/yr increase until you max out at 100k in year 13. This means I will be making 60k next year! Yeah!

How soon will you be done with your education and able to start working in New York? :)

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

Mar 25, 2018

That’s exciting! The student loans, not so much! I’m glad I’m done with those - paid mine off within a year of graduating as an undergrad back in 2014 and self-financed my Masters afterward because student loans scare me. Yuck!

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, you can get into an awesome district with a supportive administration. And make sure that you pay more than the minimum on those student loans! I NEVER pay the minimum on anything and make triple and quadruple payments or more a month on all things financed. My philosophy is if I can afford to pay more, then I will do so. For example, I bought a 2017 Honda Civic for $27,500 (fully upgraded with extended warranty) last year in May and currently I owe less than $10,000 on it. I just hate debt. It’s so horribly horrible.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

Student loans are the worse type of debt. Thankfully, I had some loans that were forgiven because I taught in a low-income area. I wish there was a way to somehow cut all student loans in half. I feel we are being punished by paying for education. It's something nobody can take away from you, but it sure does a number on your credit.

7. futuremathsprof

Mar 26, 2018

I agree. I think teaching credential programs should be embedded within certain four-year degrees or at the Masters level. This would dramatically cut down on costs. And in my home state of California, the legislature and the CTC need to do away with BTSA. That program is 1-2 years on top of your Bachelors and teaching credential program (which is also 1-2 years). I was lucky in that I was declared a highly effective teacher by my P and the person who is in charge of handling BTSA cases, so it enabled me to finish the program in one year instead of two. It was a watered-down repeat of my what I learned in my teaching credential program and a complete waste of time, in my opinion. What is the point of going through 6 months of student teaching, 60 hours of teacher observations, having to write incredibly detailed lesson plans, and teaching for three years only to be told that you still have to learn to student teach, manage your classroom, and write detailed lesson plans? It’s ridiculous and this is coming from someone who got through the entire process without a single snag. I had no problem taking the CBEST, Praxis 5161, and numerous CSETS (I had to take 5 since I went through an alternate route to get my credential). There is just so much red tape that I can understand why people are being turned away from teaching.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

I also think you should get paid for student teaching. It's rather difficult for the average adult to intentionally go 2 months or more without working. Then you have all summer to scrape up some money. That's almost 1/2 a year. You must stash away more than the optimal emergency 3 months of income. You need to be living at home or have a very understanding, supportive spouse. This is why there are so many alternative programs out there, because people need to work. Why can't they offer student teaching in the summer? There are plenty of preschools and summer school programs available. It would be more feasible to do 8 weeks in the summer, and 8 weeks in the fall. Then you could be certified and ready to teach in the 2nd half of the school year. You would be qualified to sub if you couldn't find a job immediately.

I took an alternate route, and was considered a grad student. But because I was a education/certification major, I was able to get financial aid. I dropped out of school because it was too much. I was flat broke. Since I had my B.A. and completed my sub certificate, I had schools calling me left and right to sub. It was much easier to be a sub than continue to plug along in college, draining me dry. It took all I had, deep faith, and desperate urging of friends and family to go back and finish.

It becomes a vicious circle. Once I had my certificate, I was officially a grad student. I couldn't afford a car, but got a student loan no problem. If I never applied for a student loan, I probably wouldn't have enough to get a car or get my home. A series of ups and downs gave me a poor work history, and a poor credit report. But you can get a student loan with your eyes closed. Then, you look back and wonder how you got so deep in debt. And you can't write those loans off if you want bankruptcy. That's the irony of it all. We aren't running up credit cards all over town. We're just trying to get an education to earn a decent salary, and to educate our future generation.

9. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 26, 2018

Well, if you are interested, my school is in Hoboken and is hiring a science LTS for August - March of next year. From March - June, you would have the opportunity to work in a variety of different elementary or middle school classes. If this sounds good to you, let me know and I can get your more information about the specific location.

10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 26, 2018

It's not something that you're paying to try to own. Unlike a car or house note, you already have your education and you'll never pay a student loan off in most cases. You're trying to own that car or house, but you already own the education. PSLF is a great option if you work in a qualifying public sector job.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

This has bothered me for some time. Are you really expected to pay off a student loan? What is PSLF??

I understand after x amount of years, some of the loan will be forgiven. But this is madness. I heard they can take your social security if your loans get behind. Our government spends so much $ on irrevelant things, IMO. Why give out loans that are next to impossible to repay? Will I be paying on my loans at 80 years of age? Does it cancel when I become disabled?

12. futuremathsprof

Mar 31, 2018

Your loans get cancelled if you can demonstrate repaying them would cause extreme hardship (which is very difficult to do) or you become permanently disabled. Your loans will be forgiven if you work in a qualifying school for 10 years, but you have to re-enroll for PSLF each year, I think. Also, if you consolidate your loans from public to private to get better interest rates, those converted loans are no longer PSLF-eligible. I didn’t want to wait 10 years and so I paid mine off in 10 months after graduating (little over $17,000) and that was that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

Thanks, futuremath... I am definitely looking into this. I already had my loans consolidated, and put in an income based, pay as you earn plan. It stinks because while I was in school, loans were in forbearance. When I was between jobs, loans were zero because it was income-based. As soon as I started working again, I get welcomed with loan payments. And that jacks up my credit. :eek:

My real problem is staying in a low-income area for 10 years, without losing my mind.o_O

14. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 31, 2018

The federal government does not require someone to work in a low income area to qualify for PSLF, just a qualifying job.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-...ellation/public-service#qualifying-employment

15. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Mar 31, 2018

Here is a major advantage of PSLF vs working in the private sector.....

Note that loan amounts forgiven under the PSLF Program are not considered income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, you will not have to pay federal income tax on the amount of your Direct Loans that is forgiven after you have made the 120 qualifying payments.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-...ellation/public-service#receiving-forgiveness