Should I get my MEd ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrssantos, Mar 24, 2018.

1. mrssantos

mrssantos Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

I’ve completed the alternate route in NJ and on the interviews I’ve had pretty much ....everyone said they need experience & student teaching. I’m being told by friends that teach that I’ll never get hired with my Masters because I’d cost too much to a district. What can I do? Is a Master’s really going to limit me?

K-6
    I am adding MS Science & TOSD as well

3. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 24, 2018

Two things:
    1) Masters has never hurt me.
    2) I might have a job (North East NJ) that could get you in the door in terms of experience. PM me if you are interested.

Leaborb192 and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. mrssantos

mrssantos Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

I don’t think I can PM on here :/ I may be too new!

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

I have purposely left my two masters off some applications, and resume. I believe with the salary structures based on years and education, most districts would prefer to save $ and hire newbies. When I wanted to take a break from teaching, I would apply for an aide position and downsize myself.

Lying, uh maybe. Misrepresenting info - yeah. Imagine trying get a job at McDonalds with a B.A. Rarely get any calls from min. wage jobs. They assume you will leave as soon as something better comes along. You have to be clear that you’re seeking summer work or part time nights only. So I would make 2 resumes - one without your masters. See if you get more responses.

On the otherhand, if a job listing says: “Masters degree preferred”, then I definitely put it on the application.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2018

Adding your TOSD and MS Science certificates may go a long way towards getting you a job in NJ, but see below for an explanation. K-6 is suffering from a glut of candidates. Being certified to teach MS gets you out of that super tough competition. If you are looking to take the 21-27 graduate credits to earn the TOSD, I would suggest waiting until you do have a job, since tuition reimbursement will kick in, and there is a provisional certificate that gives you the time to take those courses on your employer's dime while actually working as the TOSD teacher in any of your other standard certificates. If getting the TOSD is something the district would be interested in you having, they know they can hire you and get your provisional cert while you are taking grad classes while teaching. If you want to show good faith, you can take a course in a TOSD cert program, but choose carefully. The credits can't be transferred to another university, there are specific universities that are accepted by the state, so where you start is where you are planning to take the whole sequence. Yes, I entered through AR, quickly went to the Bachelors + 30, then Masters + 30, and I earned my TOSD while hired full time, using tuition reimbursement.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2018

Not if they are from different universities.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 24, 2018

I've worked at both ends of the spectrum and found that at "low-end" schools, the educational background of applicants for teaching positions is not valued as much as it would be at "high-end" schools. I've also left out my multiple graduate degrees when I applied at underperforming schools and gave full disclosure when I applied at a school in which many parents and teachers graduated from Stanford and Berkeley. You might also look at their salary schedules - those that value education provide annual stipends for graduate degrees, sometimes as much as $5,000 or more for a doctorate. You have to feel out the districts to which you plan to apply - it's part of playing the dysfunctional game! Have fun . . .:confused:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

I agree with letting the job pay for your advanced degree. Then you can command a higher salary, and show efforts towards professional development during your review. You also need continued education to renew your certificate. Win-win. Graduate degrees costs $$ If you take out student loans, you start paying on those loans as soon as you go to work. But you can put them on forbearance as long as you are still in school after you start working!! So make that a win-win-win.

And yes, you technically are not leaving out info if you only show your B.A./B.S. on an application. If you started with the M.A., yeah, they will see the lower degrees on that transcript. Nowadays, you may have to go to a 3rd party to order transcripts, pay as much as $15 each and a processing fee! And each job interview wants official copies. Some even ask for police dept fingerprints, at your expense before an interview! Who wants to spend that money for an interview?? Make copies stamped - sent to student. Don't give original until they make an offer.

11. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Mar 24, 2018

In my state you need to start working towards your MA in your first 5 years of teaching anyway, so pretty much everyone has their MA. I did grad school right after undergrad with a friend and we were the first two teachers to get a full-time teaching position in the group of girls in our undergrad class. So if anything, it works the opposite way here.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2018

I want to make sure that I understand correctly - so you have acquired your standard certificate in Elem. Ed., K-6, and you have the 15 undergrad science credits and have passed the MS Specialization test to teach Science, grades 5-8? It is my understanding that once you have the standard certificate you can acquire a provisional certificate for the TOSD if you are hired into that position.. In that case, you would be able to teach TOSD in either K-6 or MS Science. If you haven't had your transcript officially evaluated, it might be worth the money, since 15 hours of undergrad math, ELA, or SS classes would allow you to add those certificates as well once you pass the Praxis exam. SS is the least useful and easiest to get, but ELA/Literacy and Math are worth the effort if you have the credits, or almost have the necessary credits. There are inexpensive ways to acquire the credit, certainly less expensive than going after your graduate degree. If interested, let me know and I will help you map it out. I am well versed on this in NJ - other states, who knows?

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2018

I would add that it is much easier to work on your grad classes while you have a job. Strange but true. Some universities offer cohorts specifically designed for teachers that meet every 8 wks. Off campus locations close to home. My 1st masters program met at a neighborhood high school. Never stepped foot on campus until I graduated!! 2nd masters was online.

They start and finish together. 1 night a wk, online only or hybrid with a monthly meeting. If you need a break, you can easily jump in the next group and maybe finish one semester later. Most assigments are based on your own class and how to improve what you do.

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

15. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Mar 25, 2018

Yeah, your neighbor in Mass. I knew not all states required this, but I didn't realize it was that unique.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 25, 2018

Wait a minute, they require teachers to have a Masters degree, but would rather hire a teacher who doesn’t have one? Yeah, that makes sense.

Only in America.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2018

In my district a MA is a $3000 per year pay bump. One teacher with a MA isn't going to kill a district. If they have a lot of them, then I can see preferring to hire those without one.

However, here we have to have half of a MA finished in 5 years and all within 10 years. I went ahead and did mine early. By the end of my third year, mine was finished.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 25, 2018

That seems very expensive to be working on your second Masters... You are going to be maxed out on the salary schedule, most likely, so at least you can look forward to that!

Concerning my situation, the highest at my private school is Masters + 15, so I don’t bother after that. I mean, I was mulling over getting an Ed.S or and Ed.D, but will only do so once I want to become an administrator full time, which won’t be for a while. I just love teaching so much! I do have the $5,000 salary increase to look forward to next year — if you are maxed out on our salary schedule you get a $5,000/yr increase until you max out at 100k in year 13. This means I will be making 60k next year! Yeah!

How soon will you be done with your education and able to start working in New York? :)

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

21. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 25, 2018

That’s exciting! The student loans, not so much! I’m glad I’m done with those - paid mine off within a year of graduating as an undergrad back in 2014 and self-financed my Masters afterward because student loans scare me. Yuck!

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, you can get into an awesome district with a supportive administration. And make sure that you pay more than the minimum on those student loans! I NEVER pay the minimum on anything and make triple and quadruple payments or more a month on all things financed. My philosophy is if I can afford to pay more, then I will do so. For example, I bought a 2017 Honda Civic for $27,500 (fully upgraded with extended warranty) last year in May and currently I owe less than $10,000 on it. I just hate debt. It’s so horribly horrible.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

Student loans are the worse type of debt. Thankfully, I had some loans that were forgiven because I taught in a low-income area. I wish there was a way to somehow cut all student loans in half. I feel we are being punished by paying for education. It's something nobody can take away from you, but it sure does a number on your credit.

23. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 26, 2018

I agree. I think teaching credential programs should be embedded within certain four-year degrees or at the Masters level. This would dramatically cut down on costs. And in my home state of California, the legislature and the CTC need to do away with BTSA. That program is 1-2 years on top of your Bachelors and teaching credential program (which is also 1-2 years). I was lucky in that I was declared a highly effective teacher by my P and the person who is in charge of handling BTSA cases, so it enabled me to finish the program in one year instead of two. It was a watered-down repeat of my what I learned in my teaching credential program and a complete waste of time, in my opinion. What is the point of going through 6 months of student teaching, 60 hours of teacher observations, having to write incredibly detailed lesson plans, and teaching for three years only to be told that you still have to learn to student teach, manage your classroom, and write detailed lesson plans? It’s ridiculous and this is coming from someone who got through the entire process without a single snag. I had no problem taking the CBEST, Praxis 5161, and numerous CSETS (I had to take 5 since I went through an alternate route to get my credential). There is just so much red tape that I can understand why people are being turned away from teaching.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

I also think you should get paid for student teaching. It's rather difficult for the average adult to intentionally go 2 months or more without working. Then you have all summer to scrape up some money. That's almost 1/2 a year. You must stash away more than the optimal emergency 3 months of income. You need to be living at home or have a very understanding, supportive spouse. This is why there are so many alternative programs out there, because people need to work. Why can't they offer student teaching in the summer? There are plenty of preschools and summer school programs available. It would be more feasible to do 8 weeks in the summer, and 8 weeks in the fall. Then you could be certified and ready to teach in the 2nd half of the school year. You would be qualified to sub if you couldn't find a job immediately.

I took an alternate route, and was considered a grad student. But because I was a education/certification major, I was able to get financial aid. I dropped out of school because it was too much. I was flat broke. Since I had my B.A. and completed my sub certificate, I had schools calling me left and right to sub. It was much easier to be a sub than continue to plug along in college, draining me dry. It took all I had, deep faith, and desperate urging of friends and family to go back and finish.

It becomes a vicious circle. Once I had my certificate, I was officially a grad student. I couldn't afford a car, but got a student loan no problem. If I never applied for a student loan, I probably wouldn't have enough to get a car or get my home. A series of ups and downs gave me a poor work history, and a poor credit report. But you can get a student loan with your eyes closed. Then, you look back and wonder how you got so deep in debt. And you can't write those loans off if you want bankruptcy. That's the irony of it all. We aren't running up credit cards all over town. We're just trying to get an education to earn a decent salary, and to educate our future generation.

25. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 26, 2018

Well, if you are interested, my school is in Hoboken and is hiring a science LTS for August - March of next year. From March - June, you would have the opportunity to work in a variety of different elementary or middle school classes. If this sounds good to you, let me know and I can get your more information about the specific location.

26. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 26, 2018

It's not something that you're paying to try to own. Unlike a car or house note, you already have your education and you'll never pay a student loan off in most cases. You're trying to own that car or house, but you already own the education. PSLF is a great option if you work in a qualifying public sector job.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

This has bothered me for some time. Are you really expected to pay off a student loan? What is PSLF??

I understand after x amount of years, some of the loan will be forgiven. But this is madness. I heard they can take your social security if your loans get behind. Our government spends so much $ on irrevelant things, IMO. Why give out loans that are next to impossible to repay? Will I be paying on my loans at 80 years of age? Does it cancel when I become disabled?

28. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 31, 2018

Your loans get cancelled if you can demonstrate repaying them would cause extreme hardship (which is very difficult to do) or you become permanently disabled. Your loans will be forgiven if you work in a qualifying school for 10 years, but you have to re-enroll for PSLF each year, I think. Also, if you consolidate your loans from public to private to get better interest rates, those converted loans are no longer PSLF-eligible. I didn’t want to wait 10 years and so I paid mine off in 10 months after graduating (little over $17,000) and that was that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

Thanks, futuremath... I am definitely looking into this. I already had my loans consolidated, and put in an income based, pay as you earn plan. It stinks because while I was in school, loans were in forbearance. When I was between jobs, loans were zero because it was income-based. As soon as I started working again, I get welcomed with loan payments. And that jacks up my credit. :eek:

My real problem is staying in a low-income area for 10 years, without losing my mind.o_O

30. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 31, 2018

The federal government does not require someone to work in a low income area to qualify for PSLF, just a qualifying job.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-...ellation/public-service#qualifying-employment

31. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 31, 2018

Here is a major advantage of PSLF vs working in the private sector.....

Note that loan amounts forgiven under the PSLF Program are not considered income by the Internal Revenue Service. Therefore, you will not have to pay federal income tax on the amount of your Direct Loans that is forgiven after you have made the 120 qualifying payments.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-...ellation/public-service#receiving-forgiveness

32. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Mar 31, 2018

Crazy thing is that FICO wants to see some type of debt!

33. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 31, 2018

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

Yeah, but there's something about that is true. I did try looking into this before. I think I had to teach in a low income area, or take out the loans before a certain year, or work x amount of years, or consistently work x amount of years in a public school. I dunno. I have to print out the application, look it over carefully, and weigh my options. I think I was looking at the teacher forgiveness loan program. Is this a new program?? Maybe at the time early childhood was not considered. I was sure you had to be in a K-12 program.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Thanks guys,

I printed the application and will call the student loan office tomorrow. It is totally different from the Teacher Forgiveness program.

36. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Apr 1, 2018

Yea, this is what you're referring to.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher

This program's only advantage over PSLF would be if you owed around that $17,500, give or take a few thousand. If your loan amount is much more than that, then PSLF is the immediate way to go.

And this is why.....

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/teacher#both-tlf-pslf