Should I get my MEd ?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrssantos, Mar 24, 2018.

1. mrssantos

mrssantos Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

I’ve completed the alternate route in NJ and on the interviews I’ve had pretty much ....everyone said they need experience & student teaching. I’m being told by friends that teach that I’ll never get hired with my Masters because I’d cost too much to a district. What can I do? Is a Master’s really going to limit me?

K-6
    I am adding MS Science & TOSD as well

3. physteach

physteach Companion

Mar 24, 2018

Two things:
    1) Masters has never hurt me.
    2) I might have a job (North East NJ) that could get you in the door in terms of experience. PM me if you are interested.

Leaborb192 and futuremathsprof like this.
  4. mrssantos

mrssantos Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

I don’t think I can PM on here :/ I may be too new!

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

I have purposely left my two masters off some applications, and resume. I believe with the salary structures based on years and education, most districts would prefer to save $ and hire newbies. When I wanted to take a break from teaching, I would apply for an aide position and downsize myself.

Lying, uh maybe. Misrepresenting info - yeah. Imagine trying get a job at McDonalds with a B.A. Rarely get any calls from min. wage jobs. They assume you will leave as soon as something better comes along. You have to be clear that you’re seeking summer work or part time nights only. So I would make 2 resumes - one without your masters. See if you get more responses.

On the otherhand, if a job listing says: “Masters degree preferred”, then I definitely put it on the application.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 24, 2018

Adding your TOSD and MS Science certificates may go a long way towards getting you a job in NJ, but see below for an explanation. K-6 is suffering from a glut of candidates. Being certified to teach MS gets you out of that super tough competition. If you are looking to take the 21-27 graduate credits to earn the TOSD, I would suggest waiting until you do have a job, since tuition reimbursement will kick in, and there is a provisional certificate that gives you the time to take those courses on your employer's dime while actually working as the TOSD teacher in any of your other standard certificates. If getting the TOSD is something the district would be interested in you having, they know they can hire you and get your provisional cert while you are taking grad classes while teaching. If you want to show good faith, you can take a course in a TOSD cert program, but choose carefully. The credits can't be transferred to another university, there are specific universities that are accepted by the state, so where you start is where you are planning to take the whole sequence. Yes, I entered through AR, quickly went to the Bachelors + 30, then Masters + 30, and I earned my TOSD while hired full time, using tuition reimbursement.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 24, 2018

Not if they are from different universities.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 24, 2018

I've worked at both ends of the spectrum and found that at "low-end" schools, the educational background of applicants for teaching positions is not valued as much as it would be at "high-end" schools. I've also left out my multiple graduate degrees when I applied at underperforming schools and gave full disclosure when I applied at a school in which many parents and teachers graduated from Stanford and Berkeley. You might also look at their salary schedules - those that value education provide annual stipends for graduate degrees, sometimes as much as $5,000 or more for a doctorate. You have to feel out the districts to which you plan to apply - it's part of playing the dysfunctional game! Have fun . . .:confused:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

I agree with letting the job pay for your advanced degree. Then you can command a higher salary, and show efforts towards professional development during your review. You also need continued education to renew your certificate. Win-win. Graduate degrees costs $$ If you take out student loans, you start paying on those loans as soon as you go to work. But you can put them on forbearance as long as you are still in school after you start working!! So make that a win-win-win.

And yes, you technically are not leaving out info if you only show your B.A./B.S. on an application. If you started with the M.A., yeah, they will see the lower degrees on that transcript. Nowadays, you may have to go to a 3rd party to order transcripts, pay as much as $15 each and a processing fee! And each job interview wants official copies. Some even ask for police dept fingerprints, at your expense before an interview! Who wants to spend that money for an interview?? Make copies stamped - sent to student. Don't give original until they make an offer.

11. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Mar 24, 2018

In my state you need to start working towards your MA in your first 5 years of teaching anyway, so pretty much everyone has their MA. I did grad school right after undergrad with a friend and we were the first two teachers to get a full-time teaching position in the group of girls in our undergrad class. So if anything, it works the opposite way here.

futuremathsprof and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 25, 2018

I want to make sure that I understand correctly - so you have acquired your standard certificate in Elem. Ed., K-6, and you have the 15 undergrad science credits and have passed the MS Specialization test to teach Science, grades 5-8? It is my understanding that once you have the standard certificate you can acquire a provisional certificate for the TOSD if you are hired into that position.. In that case, you would be able to teach TOSD in either K-6 or MS Science. If you haven't had your transcript officially evaluated, it might be worth the money, since 15 hours of undergrad math, ELA, or SS classes would allow you to add those certificates as well once you pass the Praxis exam. SS is the least useful and easiest to get, but ELA/Literacy and Math are worth the effort if you have the credits, or almost have the necessary credits. There are inexpensive ways to acquire the credit, certainly less expensive than going after your graduate degree. If interested, let me know and I will help you map it out. I am well versed on this in NJ - other states, who knows?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2018

I would add that it is much easier to work on your grad classes while you have a job. Strange but true. Some universities offer cohorts specifically designed for teachers that meet every 8 wks. Off campus locations close to home. My 1st masters program met at a neighborhood high school. Never stepped foot on campus until I graduated!! 2nd masters was online.

They start and finish together. 1 night a wk, online only or hybrid with a monthly meeting. If you need a break, you can easily jump in the next group and maybe finish one semester later. Most assigments are based on your own class and how to improve what you do.

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  15. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Mar 25, 2018

Yeah, your neighbor in Mass. I knew not all states required this, but I didn't realize it was that unique.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 25, 2018

Wait a minute, they require teachers to have a Masters degree, but would rather hire a teacher who doesn’t have one? Yeah, that makes sense.

Only in America.

Leaborb192 likes this.