Should I get my EL certification?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Apr 28, 2014

Hey, everyone! I'm finishing up school this week with my Bachelor's Degree. One of the counties I'm wanting to work for (and the one that pays the most) is pretty much requiring that I have EL certification to work there, due to diversity. I would be willing to try and enroll in these courses over the summer, but I have a few questions...

1. Will there be student teacher or internship time? I just did a full semester of student teaching. I'm ready to start teaching and making money! I have five years of student loans to pay for. I don't want to postpone my actual teaching for another year due to additional certification.

2. Will I even be able to teach in a general ed classroom? Much like with special education, my fear is that once I got my certification for EL, I would only be considered for an EL teacher and not be able to have my own self contained classroom. That's really where my passion lies.

I have listed some Pros and Cons....

Pros:

-I don't think I'd ever have trouble finding a job around here if I had it. Most districts have at least a couple of listings for EL certified teachers.

-I think it would be very beneficial and useful.

-I am interested in furthering my education anyway.

Cons:

-I am ready to start teaching and am not sure about the requirements for EL certification.

-Not every district really wants it.

-Extra time and money.

What do you think? Thanks!!!!

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 28, 2014

Have you looked on your state ed site to see what is needed for that certification? You might only need certain courses and tests but every state is different.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

In my district, the ESOL courses are required, but the school district offers them for free and you have certain number of years after being hired to complete the coursework. Could you check and see if that type of program is offered where you are?

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 28, 2014

Yes. Get it.
    In the words of my P, "In the current world of education not having the certificate makes you a second class citizen."

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

I'm in California, and here all credential programs include EL certification. I didn't know that when I was getting my credential, (2010) so I signed up to take the CTEL test. That's all there is, you take a test.
    I paid $300 dollars because I was late so it was more expensive, and I was freaking out that I couldn't have a job because of the lack of certification. I found out right after I took it that I didn't need it. I passed the test (in my opinion it was very easy) but by that time it didn't matter.

So to answer your question in short, in California it's just a test, nothing else.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

There's no such thing as having too many certifications. If you can get your ESOL certification without it being a pain in the butt, then absolutely, get it.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Apr 28, 2014

In CA, I think most (if not all) credentials have EL certification embedded. You'd know because I think taking/passing the RICA is a requirement for this.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 28, 2014

That's what I said, all credentials have EL included. IT wasn't like that a few years ago, so those teachers had to take the test.

But not all credentials have to take RICA, only special ed and multiple subject. And you don't have to have RICA to e EL certified. RICA is teaching reading, EL is to show that you can teach English learners.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 29, 2014

In Texas, ESOL certification is just an endorsement, so you don't have to go through student teaching again. As a matter of fact, in our state, once you earn one full cert, you only have to take the TEXES test (our version of the Praxis) to get additional ones. No more classes or student teaching is necessary.

We are a very diverse community and district, and all of our teachers are required to be ESOL certified within 3 years of being hired.