Should I get a second cat?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mrs. dub, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jan 4, 2006

I know some of you are cat lovers, and thought I'd ask some advice. We have a two year old female cat (Snoopy), and were thinking that since my husband and I are gone all day we maybe should get her a playmate. However, we 're really afraid that Snoopy won't cuddle with us or somehow be changed if we get another cat.

We are so attached to our first cat! I know this sounds silly, but I'm not sure we would love a different cat as much, even though we kind of want another one. Does that make any sense?

Any advice??

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jan 4, 2006

Have you seen your cat around other animals? Some, not all, but some do not like to share the spotlight, mine doesn't, but she is part Siamese, so I think that's part of it.

4. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Jan 5, 2006

We got our first cat about 5 years ago. He didn't really mind being alone until he spent a weekend at my mom's place and goofed off with the puppy they had. Once we got home, he would call out for a friend all the time and it eventually started driving us bonkers so we decided to get him a friend. It was a really good decision we made as they have become really good friends. We got the second one about a month after the first one so they adapted to each other quite well. I don't know whether adult cats take to another cat in the house as well as kittens do. My mother has 3 cats that didn't grow up together and they only play with each other on rare occasions where as my boys play every day.

I suppose it's something you'll only know once it happens. I agree with daysy may... try exposing your cat to other pets but in particular, kittens. Adult cats tend to tolerate kittens more than another adult... think it's an ego thing :).

Good luck on making your decision

5. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

I have 2 cats and a dog and they are all great together infact it is like the 3 stooges in my house. They are all really affectionate with each other and us tho the dog likes the game of chase more than my girls do.
    I would have to say that getting two cats was a good fit for us because like you we are not home a lot during the day and they love the company I think.
    The key is that when you adopt a new kitty you go to get one at a place where they will let you bring Snoopy and in a room they can have a trial run together before you decide on bringing the new one home. Some cats just do not mesh together and others do. It is important that you find out before you bring a new one home cuz once it is home with you it would be hard to give it up.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2006

If you are like me, you will become attached to anything that sets foot in your house!

We had an orange cat awhile back. He was our first and only for about 4 years. His name was Teddy. We then got a kitten (now a big fat cat) named Taz. For the first month Teddy was not fond of Taz, but then after he realized he wasn't going anywhere they became fast buddies and always cuddled together. Teddy would always clean Taz...including "you know where" :eek: (sorry, maybe too much info.). Taz use to be very quite and never did much, Teddy was the outgoing loudmouth.

We had to get rid of Teddy because he was peeing all over our house when we moved. He saw the roaming cats outside and got very territorial and we couldn't get him to stop. We still miss him, however, Taz has taken on the role of the loudmouth cat and is a lot more affectionate now that our other one is gone. I think he enjoyed having a buddy and he really missed Teddy when he went away, but now that he's alone he really enjoys the spotlight and getting all the attention. I think Teddy hogged the attention and Taz knew that our house was "his" to begin with.

Either way, cats are always territorial and if and when you get another one, it will probably take awhile for your older one to get use to another one. Just give it time if you do get another one. Like I said, it took ours almost a month, but they survived and became best buds.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 5, 2006

I am sure you will love a second cat just as much, if they look different and have different personalities.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2006

You may wind up with a companion for your cat, or just two cats that don't share the same space. Some cats like being around others. Some don't. Worst case is one cat will beat the heck out of the other.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2006

Mine were/are both completely declawed so I didn't even have to worry about that:).

10. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jan 5, 2006

The cat I have my eye on has claws, and so does Snoopy! It could get ugly. Snoopy's been an "only child" since we've had her. She loves dogs though, so we hope she 'll be fine with another cat.

11. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

I think you will be all riht get them together for a play date and see what happens...

12. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Jan 5, 2006

It's hard to know whether your first cat would welcome a new addition. I had a cat die last year. We had him for sixteen years. We decided to get a kittento keep my other cat (12 years old) company. At first there was a lot of hissing and spitting but now a year later they are very attached to each other. They cuddle up and sleep together. Occasionally the kitten will irritate the older cat and there is some hissing but I'm glasd we made the choice.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 5, 2006

I have usually had more than one cat - for the last 30 years. Never once have I had two cats that liked each other. One of my sensitive cats was so traumatized by a new addition that we had to put her on Valium (yes). She hid and wouldn't eat. Then another cat, a Siamese, decided she would go in the garage but would not come into the house when another cat was around. On the other hand, they never really fought. My old one now isn't too thrilled when the young one wants to play, but she tries to just ignore her and hasn't been traumatized. I think dogs and cats get along better than 2 non-sibling cats. I guess it really just depends on their personalities.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 5, 2006

The personality of the second cat is really important, too. Lizzie has been Queen B here for 3 1/2 years. A year or so ago I had taken in a stray that had kittens on my porch. I found homes for the kittens, but not her, so she became mine (Midge). She was very small and timid. Lizzie didn't love her, but they got along ok because there was no doubt who the boss was. Midge took off, though. She stayed a couple of months, built up her weight and strength, and then left. I would like to get her a companion, but she seems satisfied with the fish tanks for now! :)

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2006

I can only share my own cat experiences. Our oldest cat is a 13 year neutered male...solid black, soft as velvet. He had a twin brother cat when we moved here. They are allowed outside(country area) and something happened to the other cat. Never found out. So, I got a tiny white kitten(also male) and our big black cat treated him as his baby. It was the cutest thing ever. He would let his tail hang over the back of the couch and wiggle it so the baby could play with it. He would smash him down with his front paws and scrub his face and head with his tongue...just as a mother cat would do with her kitten. Sad to say, after 3 years, the white cat got hit by a car. We now have the old black cat and two other stray cats(one is 4 and the other is one)...all neutered males. The two strays play often, running through the house ( both are huge fluff balls) Our old black cat stares at them in annoyance and sometimes a bit of amusement! He prefers to be left alone. Once in awhile they all scuffle around and the fur flies...but in the next minute they are sleeping all over the living room contented. I have heard that it is best to get the same *** cats...as long as they are neutered or spayed. I have heard of the territorial problems with house cats. Ours get outside and can mark their territory outside. That would be of a concern to me...housecats wanting to mark territory. That is the worst that could happen because that stinks and ruins carpet. This happened to my friend with her two females. It got so bad that they had to have the older cat put down. She did not want to share her house with another cat. So, be sure you are able to return the new cat if this becomes a problem. Otherwise, two cats are definitely much more fun than one.

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2006

I made a promise to my kitty, Lily, that after our second cat was gone I wouldn't get another. She's looooves being the only cat! My aunt (also a cat lover) would disagree- she thinks cats need "friends". But I don't think all cats want a brother or sister. I think sometimes the "only child" is just as happy.:)

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 6, 2006

I had promised Missy the same thing after getting rid of my dog (unwillingly). Then my daughter brought a new kitty in. Oh well. I hope she understood. I will honor the part about no dog.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 6, 2006

One of my daycare parents had to put down their 15 year old cat the other day. They are really sad. They haven't told their little girl yet..she still thinks he's at the doctor, and will talk to her tonight about it. :( He was an only cat for all those years, but he was also let outside and could roam to find friends.