Should I follow up on Interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, Mar 7, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

Hello everyone. I am just finishing up my 2nd year as a high school science teacher. The school I am currently at is horrible. I interviewed on Feb. 28 at my dream school. The principal told me at the time "We should know something by the end of next week. We will call." Well...this week has come and gone, and no call :(
    I sent my thank you letters, and the department head responded back with "It was nice to meet you too. Hopefully we should know something by the end of the week. We have two more people to look at early in the week."
    Should I call or email? I really wanted the job :(

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 8, 2008

It's too soon. If I followed correctly, you expected to hear something by Friday March 7. I personally don't think you should call or email until the end of the upcoming week - March 14th. As you know, principals are busy people and anything could have come up to delay the schedule. So give it at least one more week. I know it's hard :)

Good Luck adn I hope you land your dream job.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

You are correct. I was supposed to hear back yesterday, and did not. Thank you for the advice!
    I just have to occupy myself, and try not to worry too much.
    Don't want to appear too crazy and slash my chances if I do have any.
    Just a bit nervous. I was so lucky with my current position. I interviewed for an hour with just the principal one day, and he called me the next morning to offer me the job. I know it doesn't work like that normally, but I was hoping for a quicker response. Just me being impatient! lol
    Thanks again :)

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 8, 2008

I just had my first science position interview yesterday and now I have to wait to hear back, which might not happen until after Spring Break (which starts the 17th!!!). It's nerve racking and doubt might set in.

I plan on finding more schools to send a cover letter and resume to while I'm waiting. While I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have this particular position, I can't waste time contacting other schools, especially if this school doesn't accept me.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

yes, give them another week...so you don't appear like a stalker!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

and yes to you too bioangel...

contrary to popular belief, you don't need just one yes...

lots of yesses would be great!

you never know what could happen...

you may be filling out the W-4 forms and they say, "Excuse me, we found a number on your application and it is not a school, it is a library. Therefore, we can't offer you the position because you falsified your application. We will take back our forms."

yes..this actually happened to me! I was shocked! "Yes, I see, the libary has the same number, well I just reversed the last 2, you can call and see yourself!"

"Sorry, the application clearly states any misrepresentation...blah, blah, blah"

and they showed me the door.

And I said, "Well give me back my copy of my transcripts, and DL and birth certificate!"

:mad:

Get as many prospects as you can, I say!

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 10, 2008

I didn't get it :(
    I'm so depressed. I HATE the school I am at now. It is truly horrible. None of the teachers are happy. Kids don't care...parents don't care...and administration just wants numbers, so they don't care...or speak very decent english. UGH
    If I don't find another job, there is a possibility that I won't be hired back at the current one anyway. I was told I'd be hired back on the basis of how a certain CLUB did...a CLUB?!
    Sorry for the vent...I'm just really frustrated.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get it, scienceteach. Its still early! There is plenty of time for more interviews and a job offer. If it makes you feel any better, there have been no interviews here! I guess their waiting.

10. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, scienceteach! I know it's tough to keep going after a setback, but if you keep at it I'm sure you'll find something better than your current school. Good luck--I'm sending good vibes your way!

~Briana~

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 10, 2008

I am really sorry your didn't get the job.

But - you won't be hired back because a CLUB didn't go well??!! What kind of club are you talking about (if you can say)?? That sounds crazy - but then again, if you aren't tenured, you can be let go for any reason as dumb as it may sound.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 10, 2008

Science Olympiad. It was our first year...at regionals we got like 13th place out of 20 schools. He wanted us to get 1st or 2nd...UGH.
    Yeah...it is stupid reason :(

13. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Well, in my opinion 13th for your first year competing isn't too shabby! I mean, the kids don't even know what to expect yet, give it some time! Did they enjoy it, at least? I was on the Science Olympiad team when I was in high school and absolutely loved it. I hope to get involved with it again from the teacher side of things. :)

~Briana~

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

no, that sounds totally lame...

I would sue...

come vent with us in the po'd club...

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?p=580341#post580341