Should I feel insulted?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Mar 31, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2015

So this mentor teacher/Sped coordinator that doesn't like me pulled an interesting one on me last week.

She sent the 23 year old bachelors holding person hired one week before me to supervise my IEP. Who then told the parent wrong information (you cannot have a child listed under Other health impairment unless the child takes medication......ummm no you don't......and she argued with me in the IEP about it) and then she spent the ENTIRE IEP texting the Coordinator about the IEP under the table.

I'm just glad mom was late and missed the rude comment about their being two moms in the family.

This teacher doesn't know my student at all, only the twin sister who is on grade level and has no issues, mine is two grade levels behind. She had no right to be there.

The social worker was so insulted on my behalf, that she went to the director and complained.

The director was upset and forced the Coordinator to apologize.

So this is what she said (just remember who has five years in the classroom before this job and a M.Ed, k?)

I was only trying to be supportive, and when you look at it she does have more seniority than you. She also has a broader range of knowledge.

I gaped at first, then I politely but firmly told her I don't believe that to be true, that other than learning how this school does things and this county, I have no problems, and that I resented her saying that. She said once again that she was sorry I felt that way and wanted me to feel like I could ask her questions, I told her I don't feel I can ask questions.

Getting trapped behind your desk while being yelled at like I was a naughty five year old by a woman the same age as me is demeaning. I felt trapped and that I had better never ask a question or have an opinion again.

And the thing she yelled at me about that day a month ago, was telling me to not a get a child tested for a three year reeval, yeah, well she was only qualified in reading before and barely qualified again, but math, she is super low. Guess I was right, huh? Now I can give her math services.

Anyway, I feel so insulted and demeaned by this woman every day, every single f*** day. I have no other issues, the staff like me, the director likes me.

Should I be taking this as personally as I am? I feel like I am in high school again, and I am worried I am overreacting to one mean person.

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 31, 2015

Not insulted..but cautious. I would begin documenting encounters you have with her...Dates/times/things said etc. save any emails and your responses...could help when it comes time for evals

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 31, 2015

I would certainly feel offended. Are you planning on returning next year?

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 31, 2015

I'm glad that social worker said something. Document like crazy, and use email to communicate as much as you can.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2015

She never emails this kind of stuff.....so how do I document in person discussions? I'd email, but her desk is right next to mine......so there is no distance. I avoid my office like the plague, but eventually I do need to go in there and that is when this stuff happens.

And no, as much as I love everything else, I don't think I'll be returning

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 31, 2015

I would send an email along the lines of, "Just to follow up on our earlier discussion, you would like me to do xyz..." It creates a paper trail.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2015

I understand where you are coming from, but I am sorry to hear that - I hoped this would be a good fit free from conflict.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 1, 2015

So sorry. She just seems like a nasty bully!!!!!!!!!