Should I feel guilty about this?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 1stGradeRocks, Jul 30, 2010.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

This year, I decided to take a lot of books out of my reading center. I've taken away 4 boxes of books. I now have just have tubs on shelves by theme/character. I have 7 tubs - Clifford, Froggy, Franklin, Berenstein Bears, Curious George, Pooh, and Arthur. I just feel bad for taking all of my other books out of the reading center, and I feel like it looks so empty. I guess I can always add them back as the year goes on, but that would be a lot of work. What do you think?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I think it will be great if you add them to your library later in the year. Or switch out tubs. It will help them from getting bored of the current selection.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

That is what I plan on doing- adding as the year goes on. I plan to start with a minimal selection to best teach book handling skills and then add as we categorize them together as a class.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I think that's a great idea.

I move my "baby" books out after Christmas, but I might have some kids who are reading way above level at the beginning of the year so I'm anxious to take any of those out.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I think if they have too many choices it's just overwhelming for them. I change mine out each month taking some out and adding some fresh choices for them.

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

I do the same thing. I have different bins for each quarter and I rotate them out, leaving their favorites and replacing the others. :0) Good Luck!

8. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 3, 2010

I like this idea! Can you tell us more how you do this? Do you have your books organzied by category? How many bins do you have out?
    Thanks!

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

Sure...I have black baskets/bins. At the beginning of the year, I have a couple that have "beginning of the year books" in them. The ones that are about starting school, the Berenstein Bears books, and a lot of Dr. Seuss. I use these because they h ave the harder bindings and are more durable for students learning about the care of books. In October, I take some out and shelve them and add more books to the bins, including ones about seasons, esp. fall. I add any that I have about the units we are covering, and I allow students to request titles that they would like to remain in the bins. I switch out again in November and December. When we come back to school after Christmas I switch the students to the shelves, allowing them to check out whichever books they would like to read. ( I store most of the "beaters" at this time to maintain enough room in my classroom, and I get them back out in the fall.

Hope this helps!

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I organize my books in a couple of ways. If they are books that I intend to use in teaching units during the year, I have them separated from the regular shelf, and when I organize the bins, I make sure to keep them together. I generally organize the rest by fiction/non-fiction, or by groups, as in Dr. Seuss and the Berenstein Bears. I have a separate section of books that I keep in my text-book shelving that I use as levelled readers. I hope that made sense, as I am really tired and it seemed like rambling to me.