Should I feel bad about this?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 6, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

My 2nd grade team currently consists of 5 teachers:
    -2 of them are going into their 3rd year of teaching (they have always taught 2nd)
    -Another is also going into her 3rd year of teaching, but spent 1 year in 3rd grade, 1 year in 2nd
    -Another is going into her 30th year of teaching. She has taught a variety of grades, but has been in 2nd grade for a while now.
    -I am going into my 5th year of teaching (3 in K, 1 in 2nd)

Next year we have to go down to 4 teachers. One of us will be moved to 4th grade. It does not matter who was in the grade the longest, where your classroom is located, etc. First they ask for volunteers, and if there aren't any, they choose whomever they feel would be the best fit for the grade and team.

I was new to the team (and school) last year. My position was added because the numbers kept increasing (I was hired in the beginning of July). No one on my team wants to move to 4th grade. One of the teachers who is going into her 3rd year of teaching is being moved, and she really does not want to. I feel really guilty, because I feel like I should suck it up and volunteer, since my position was added on. However, I really really really love 2nd grade, have tons of K-2 materials, and I could not see myself teaching 4th grade (I did it during summer school last year, and I really did not enjoy it).

Should I feel guilty? My team tells me that I should not (even the person moving to 4th), but I do. I just feel really bad for my teammate who is being forced to move. :(

3. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

Try not to feel guilty--it's just something that happens in education.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

I wouldn't feel guilty. Teachers being moved around is something that happens all the time.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 6, 2012

No. I understand why you would think that, but if the admin felt you were the best for the new team, they would have have put you in 4th. It wouldn't have been good for your or the kids if you didn't want to be teaching that grade level. I get it too- I'd do it if it was my only shot at keeping my job, but I wouldn't be happy about teaching 4th. I prefer 1-3 for sure.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

That's what I keep telling myself. I guess I just needed to hear it from others.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I wouldn't feel guilty, either. I tend to be the peacekeeper type, but I also don't believe you should make yourself miserable for someone else. I had a somewhat similar situation last year, and I stood my ground.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

There's no reason to feel guilty. The administration made the decision that they feel is best.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

You shouldn't feel guilty, it wasn't your decision. This teacher might find out she likes 4th. Never know.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

It wasn't like you all got together and voted the person out. Like the others the decision didn't come from your team.

I remember as a sub they were "shaking things up" there were some pretty upset teachers...but some are still in that same position....

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2012

I was in the same situation and while I did feel a little guilty, I had to keep reminding myself that admin chose to move who was the best fit on another team. Your admin must think that your strenghs and talents are best served where you are.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 6, 2012

If I get in a non-testing grade, I'm never there for long and get moved up. I've never harbored any ill will towards those who get to stay. The admin is going to do what they feel is best for the school.

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 6, 2012

I agree with everyone, you don't need to feel guilty about it. Nobody volunteered and admin decided what to do.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I understand why you feel guilty, but you really shouldn't. Clearly your admin. thinks you fit well where you are at, and they are choosing the person who they think would best fit in 4th.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

While I wouldn't feel guilty, it would be very nice if your team offered to help her with moving to her new room.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I would feel a little bad as well...but just remember that you may get the short end of the stick at a later date, so take your "bonuses" as they come! :)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Don't feel bad...it happens all the time. I used to be the one who moved and now I finally get to stay. It's a wonderful thing, especially when you love what you're doing.