Should I even try to apply for jobs with coaching?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by greenbay33, Mar 3, 2013.

1. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

Okay, so i've been out a year and i'm in the worst field for jobs (social studies. Love the subject, but can't get in the field :() Anyway should I apply for jobs when they ask for coaching? I don't mind coaching, its just I have no experience at all in it, and I worry it hurts my job prospects. Almost every job I see though has coaching with it, and of course a short fat guy like me isn't going to be that athletic. So should I apply or not?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 3, 2013

Apply for everything!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 3, 2013

Are you certified to coach?

5. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

unfortunately no. I've heard mixed answers from coaches though as to whether I should or shouldn't. Some say I should, some say I shouldn't. I guess I didn't because I wanted to focus on being a teacher first, rather than just being a coach.

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 3, 2013

If you can't or don't want to coach, perhaps you could prepare to offer an alternative when the issue arises in an interview. Would you be willing to lead a club? Do you have awesome debate skills? Are you into eco/green living? Do you like reading and discussing books? Are you great at organizing community service? I'm sure you have skills to offer!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2013

Do you need to be certified to coach in your state?

I think that you should apply for everything.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 3, 2013

If you were applying around this part of Texas and they needed a teacher/coach, you wouldn't get an interview according to my coach hubby. But I think they might find a coach they really want that is teaching another area, then would need a social studies teacher. Another way may be to get another certification area so you can be more marketable.

9. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

Thats what i'm doing. But no interviews, and I've reviewed everything hundreds of time with my schools career service office to the point there are no mistakes they can see. Anymore they just tell me its a hard market

10. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

I'm thinking of doing that at some point. But i don't have the funds now. Anyway, I assume your'e from a rural part of texas. While NE isn't as sports crazy, its still a big deal. In fact its probably harder here because we are such a small state. I might move, eventually though

11. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

I got my first job applying for a Math/Coaching position. The Principal really wanted a non-coaching Math position. He said he advertised it as a coaching position to get more applicants. The school was in a low paying rural area and the coaching stipend made it more appealing. I got the job but I didn't coach. They did give me a math stipend that was the same as the coaching stipend.
    If you don't apply you certainly will not get the job. If you apply your chances may not be great. Unless your short on time I would be applying for everything I would want to do.