Should I email individual principals as well?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 22, 2020.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2020

I am returning to California after 11 years of international teaching. My district posts jobs through Edjoin so I am using that platform to apply. Should I also email individual principals as well?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2020

Do what you want, but know that many principals will automatically delete such emails - they are inundated with emails, and this may be considered over-kill. Ask yourself how much you enjoy receiving unsolicited advertising emails, and act accordingly.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Feb 22, 2020

I think it could be a good idea if you get the timing right. P's usually have 2 extra weeks after the teachers all go. I have known a couple who kind of relax during that time frame and times they have been forced to find new teachers.
    If you showed specific interest in their school at the right time, and they needed a teacher bad, some might look you up or reply. Good luck on the job search! ;)
    Of course, some if not needing a teacher, will hit delete. I worked at a school 1x that was always searching for experienced people who could bring in unique life experiences with them.
    It sounds like you have a unique background.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2020

Thank you so much! That makes total sense about emailing at the right time. I am definitely hoping that my international teaching (especially since it's been in Mexico), will spark their interest. Thanks so much!

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Feb 26, 2020

I think it will for sure! I actually went to a school during that 2 wk time frame unannounced even. I asked if I could speak to the P about an opening I'd seen. He was relaxed and very friendly. We probably visited for 40 minutes. He told me the job was going to be filled by some1 w/out tenure, who had been doing the job already, but called a friend who was a P in another school nearby w/ a real opening. That's how I got my job pretty much!

TamiJ likes this.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 27, 2020

Usually you are advised against contacting schools / principals. They're not even the ones who go through the original applications, I'm sure there is someone at the district office who goes through the applications and do an initial screening, then set up

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2020

Oh, wow! I'm glad that worked out for you. It seems like bringing the human element into it can sometimes be advantageous. Thanks again!

9. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Mar 1, 2020

In my district, it is all about the principals. So I would definitely email them.

Tired Teacher and TamiJ like this.
  10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 4, 2020

Not in my district.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 4, 2020

Not in my district.